Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
1 registered (Steve J), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63413 Topics
443347 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#129483 - 10/25/04 05:08 AM Domestic Violence Awareness March
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#129484 - 10/25/04 10:36 AM Re: Domestic Violence Awareness March
jwwells Offline

Loc: Ontario
I'm glad the march had meaning to you. Supporting the women in our lives is important.

That said, I have BIG problems with such things:

I stay away from them due to the contempt for male victims and their children which is the heart and soul of all DV activity today. Plus, I live in Canada where the women proudly refuse to allow men in such marches: Saving male life is strongly opposed here....

DV awarness month is also "hate male victims month" which is a great evil. All activity includes minimization and demonization of men and doubly so for men beaten or killed by their wife.

Furthermore, the contempt and discrimination facing battered men is directly tied to an increase in Sexual Molestation of children: Female DV offenders get children in divorce and that leads directly to a 34% increase in the risk those children will be molested, (using Canadian data, the US is similar....).

When DV awarness includes battered men and does not promote hate, then I will take part.

The men's movement has been spending a lot of time and effort this year to undo some of the hate: They have had little success. The joy in murder which is the current system is simply too strong and the level of hate too high.

Sorry to be a bummer. This is too important to leave as a feel good moment.

jw

#129485 - 10/25/04 04:26 PM Re: Domestic Violence Awareness March
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
This post was deleted by me!

Why?

1) It doesn't belong in the off topic forum. And it angers me greatly when this is done. It was in no way an "off topic message".

2) This was a very personal post and it is issues I struggle with. I am extremely angry. I watched my mother beaten every day by my father. I was told that my grandmother who I loved died because she fell one night walking in the street. She didn't die because she fell, she died because she was beat to death by my grandfather. I had to live with these things. I was beaten every day by my father and sexually abused as well. Maybe all events like this don't celebrate a male survivor but please don't just use a broad stroke of a pen to say that. This one actually did acknowledge male survivors along with the literature in the county we live in.

Again, this post was a very personal one for me. I lost my mom a couple of years ago and it isn't easy for me to deal with. I miss her greatly and when I was at this event, I honored her spirit. I'm not letting anyone ruin that for me.

Sorry if whoever doesn't agree, I really don't care at this point. The insensitivity of this up here is beyond my belief. I thought this was a place of support but maybe I was wrong.

So see ya!

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.