Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447690 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#129253 - 10/01/04 07:16 AM Quotes worth reading
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
I think everyone here needs to hear good things at times. Perhaps we can keep this thread going, similar to 'quote of the week', but with famous quotes that mean things to us. Here are two I think appropriate here.

'Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies
hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction
of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of
annihilation.' Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others"....Nelson Mandela.

let us be good to ourselves and each other.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#129254 - 10/01/04 12:17 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Quote:
'Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies
hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction
of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of
annihilation.' Martin Luther King, Jr.
An excellent quote that we all should remeber and apply to our lives. It is all to easy to perpepuate hate and anger, something we all carry within ourselves.

Thank you,
Bill

#129255 - 10/01/04 12:21 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Here are a few select quotes from Mitch Albom's the five people you meet in heaven

'You have peace when you make it with yourself.' page 113

'No life is a waste, the only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.' page 50

'Strangers are just family you have yet to come to know.' page 48

#129256 - 10/01/04 01:19 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill_1965:

'Strangers are just family you have yet to come to know.' page 48
I have heard varieation of this one. 'There are no strangers, just friends you haven't met yet'. Perhaps that is little to 'ideal'.

Is Mitch Albom the one who wrote 'Tuesdays with Morrie'?

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#129257 - 10/01/04 03:11 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
jimrh Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Roswell, GA
These quotes have been a gem for me this morning.

I'm going to stop hurting & hating and start healing.

The chain reaction of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.' Martin Luther King, Jr.

As I have broken the cycle of violence with my father, so shall I break the cycle of hate here.

You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others"....Nelson Mandela.

I'm going to be a light for others. I'm going to change the outcome for the better.

I know I can. You can too.

Jimmer

#129258 - 10/01/04 06:44 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
Is Mitch Albom the one who wrote 'Tuesdays with Morrie'?
That would be the same Mitch Albom. He also has a national radio show out of Detroit, that show usually has me yelling at the radio. I had always wanted to read this book but his radio show turned me off to him.

#129259 - 10/01/04 08:20 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Leosha and others,

thanks for these gems, from some of the best thinkers. They show us the only way to be, but some are blind to the advantages they speak of.

My father always said to me

"Do unto others, as you would have done unto yourself".

A short sentence, but so powerful the word of our Lord. It really means so much to me, imagine if we all thought this? There would not be so much anger and hatred in the World today.

We all in this forum have to power to reach out and help others, even if it is only by sharing our thoughts of the day, good or bad. It is so much a nice thing to think of the good.

take care

ste

#129260 - 10/01/04 08:53 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
A few I try to remember.

"You are a creature of the universe. You have every right to be here. And whether you can see it or not, the universe is unfolding as it should." - Desiderata

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - George Lucas, as attributed to Yoda.

"Strive always to heal with the open hand instead of hurting with the closed fist." - Martin Luther King Jr. (Apocryphal?)

"Naked, passive courage is often the most inspiring kind. It can destroy evil and bring about good." - Me

"I still believe that people are good at heart." - Anne Frank

"Love one another, as I have loved you. Forgive one another, as I have forgiven you." - Jesus Christ

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#129261 - 10/05/04 09:32 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Good thread!! Thanks for starting it.
I don't have anything too profound but one that my father left with me, and I don't know where he got it:

IF YOU ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH, YOU WON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO REMEMBER.

David

#129262 - 10/05/04 10:32 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
grendyl Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: US West Coast
'When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murders, and for a time they may seem invincible, but in the end they always fall, always.'

-Gandhi

Edit: This means a lot to me b/c ultimately it's true, he fell, and I am still here.

#129263 - 10/05/04 10:37 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." -- MLK

#129264 - 10/08/04 08:47 AM Re: Quotes worth reading
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Success
To laugh often and much;
to win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier
because you have lived.
This is to have succeeded.

I hope that everyone here knows they are a success.

leosha

#129265 - 10/14/04 08:40 AM Re: Quotes worth reading
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

"The greatest glory in living lives not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." Nelson Mandela

#129266 - 10/14/04 08:52 AM Re: Quotes worth reading
Ivo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Germany
"Always say yes to life". Leni Riefensthal

Ivo

#129267 - 10/19/04 03:55 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
lost_in_thought Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once."
AshlieghBrilliant

#129268 - 10/24/04 06:56 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Nightwolf Offline

In difficult times, never lose hope. Never lose faith in the truth, In the end everything will be alright

Friends are angels who lift us up to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Your mind is the generator of failure and also the generator of success

remember as a man thinkith so shall he be.

#129270 - 11/03/04 02:24 AM Re: Quotes worth reading
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
My five year old, tonight-- "You have to love yourself. If you don't love yourself, you'll die."

#129271 - 11/04/04 05:47 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Archnut Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
"Hate multiplies
annihilation".

Could not agree more.

I cannot lie when I say - All I seek from all of this is the mental destruction of my abusers" - It is my hate that drives me, nothing wrong with hate as long as it has a postive outcome, regardless of how it makes me feel, but then again I have often said to myslef just recently "Have I desensitised myslef to all of my abuse"? As I have written about nothing else but my abuse for nearly four a half years.

Archnut

#129272 - 11/04/04 08:19 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Quote:
We must come to see that the end we seek is a society at peace with itself, a society that can live with its conscience.
And we, the surviviors, are that conscience.

Joe

#129273 - 11/04/04 08:33 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Pollyanna Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
What I have on my signature thingy:

"A 'stupid mistake' is better than a 'stupid on purpose'." Andrei

There's a big giant humongous difference. It's so important to remember that. Puts things in a whole different light.

Lynn

– Anne Lamott

#129274 - 11/05/04 12:05 AM Re: Quotes worth reading
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Originally posted by Leosha,

Quote:
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others"....Nelson Mandela.

let us be good to ourselves and each other
Brilliant, we should be the one's who bring the light into the World, just as we see life as the individual who had to live through the many obstacles put before him.

Obstacles so huge, but not so huge as the little boy with his youth and wisdom can overcome. The boy who sees so much of the beauty of the World. A beauty, others can only dream of.

When I was a boy, I dreamed of a World, that people could live in, a place where there is no fear. Maybe a place full of trust and love for one another no matter who we may be. I still dream of that place, maybe it is heaven.

A World of abandon, A World without the inner fear, a World of inner Peace.

it will come to us all,

ste

#129275 - 11/11/04 08:03 AM Re: Quotes worth reading
honest_lion Offline

Loc: Dallas, Tx
Here is one I just read from 'Crucial Conversation'.

One healthy prayer would be like

"Lord please forgive him for committing a sin different than mine".

Thanks Leosha for openning this topic.

#129276 - 11/14/04 02:46 AM Re: Quotes worth reading
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

so many years ago, i came across a book by krishna murti called, "think on these things". he is, or was, an eastern philosopher. so much from that book has influenced me. obviously, it was non-christian in its background, but it spoke so much of what i have since come to believe and articulate in so many ways. i hope i still have that book somewhere, otherwise, i will buy it again. it was a strong, but indirect influence on my bridgebuilder devotion/theology. look it up, i believe it will offer insight on how to think on some things.

- It is gift, and gift will find its way
- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy
- I was not given to serve life, but to embrace it

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.