Newest Members
tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom, JohnWC, KKumar
12423 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
biggbill70 (44), CP4 (24), EddieMi (46), EddieT (46), hemi1024 (54), Kage (70), kdj_74 (40), Knightswhitehart (49), otlhouston (47), TX_Space (47), VirtualBman (50)
Who's Online
5 registered (Bloom, wiresguy1, Shyshark, 2 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12423 Members
74 Forums
63801 Topics
445520 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#129253 - 10/01/04 07:16 AM Quotes worth reading
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
I think everyone here needs to hear good things at times. Perhaps we can keep this thread going, similar to 'quote of the week', but with famous quotes that mean things to us. Here are two I think appropriate here.

'Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies
hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction
of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of
annihilation.' Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others"....Nelson Mandela.

let us be good to ourselves and each other.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#129254 - 10/01/04 12:17 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Quote:
'Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Hate multiplies
hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction....The chain reaction
of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of
annihilation.' Martin Luther King, Jr.
An excellent quote that we all should remeber and apply to our lives. It is all to easy to perpepuate hate and anger, something we all carry within ourselves.

Thank you,
Bill

#129255 - 10/01/04 12:21 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Here are a few select quotes from Mitch Albom's the five people you meet in heaven

'You have peace when you make it with yourself.' page 113

'No life is a waste, the only time we waste is the time we spend thinking we are alone.' page 50

'Strangers are just family you have yet to come to know.' page 48

#129256 - 10/01/04 01:19 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill_1965:

'Strangers are just family you have yet to come to know.' page 48
I have heard varieation of this one. 'There are no strangers, just friends you haven't met yet'. Perhaps that is little to 'ideal'.

Is Mitch Albom the one who wrote 'Tuesdays with Morrie'?

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#129257 - 10/01/04 03:11 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
jimrh Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Roswell, GA
These quotes have been a gem for me this morning.

I'm going to stop hurting & hating and start healing.

The chain reaction of evil--hate begetting hate, wars producing more wars--must be broken, or we shall be plunged into the dark abyss of annihilation.' Martin Luther King, Jr.

As I have broken the cycle of violence with my father, so shall I break the cycle of hate here.

You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others"....Nelson Mandela.

I'm going to be a light for others. I'm going to change the outcome for the better.

I know I can. You can too.

Jimmer

#129258 - 10/01/04 06:44 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
Is Mitch Albom the one who wrote 'Tuesdays with Morrie'?
That would be the same Mitch Albom. He also has a national radio show out of Detroit, that show usually has me yelling at the radio. I had always wanted to read this book but his radio show turned me off to him.

#129259 - 10/01/04 08:20 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Leosha and others,

thanks for these gems, from some of the best thinkers. They show us the only way to be, but some are blind to the advantages they speak of.

My father always said to me

"Do unto others, as you would have done unto yourself".

A short sentence, but so powerful the word of our Lord. It really means so much to me, imagine if we all thought this? There would not be so much anger and hatred in the World today.

We all in this forum have to power to reach out and help others, even if it is only by sharing our thoughts of the day, good or bad. It is so much a nice thing to think of the good.

take care

ste

#129260 - 10/01/04 08:53 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
A few I try to remember.

"You are a creature of the universe. You have every right to be here. And whether you can see it or not, the universe is unfolding as it should." - Desiderata

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try." - George Lucas, as attributed to Yoda.

"Strive always to heal with the open hand instead of hurting with the closed fist." - Martin Luther King Jr. (Apocryphal?)

"Naked, passive courage is often the most inspiring kind. It can destroy evil and bring about good." - Me

"I still believe that people are good at heart." - Anne Frank

"Love one another, as I have loved you. Forgive one another, as I have forgiven you." - Jesus Christ

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#129261 - 10/05/04 09:32 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Good thread!! Thanks for starting it.
I don't have anything too profound but one that my father left with me, and I don't know where he got it:

IF YOU ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH, YOU WON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO REMEMBER.

David

#129262 - 10/05/04 10:32 PM Re: Quotes worth reading
grendyl Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: US West Coast
'When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murders, and for a time they may seem invincible, but in the end they always fall, always.'

-Gandhi

Edit: This means a lot to me b/c ultimately it's true, he fell, and I am still here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.