Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
11 registered (86, ethereo222, Obi, Cthulhu, 4 invisible), 21 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63226 Topics
442136 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#129137 - 09/16/04 07:55 PM Off-Topic Rant
Doppelganger1 Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
I just need to vent.

I am a retired TV news producer. I didn't retire because I reached a certain age; I retired because I couldn't take the bullshit anymore. The final straw was the deplorable way the Valujet tragedy was handled in the mid-90s. Well, it should have been the final straw, except I held on as a news free-lancer for an additional three years after leaving my job and career. Today, while watching the coverage of Hurricane Ivan's damage, I remembered something that happened in our Miami newsroom on August 24, 1992.

We had all kinds of crews in place for Hurricane Andrew. Our reporters and cameramen were doing an excellent job as the arrival of the category five hurricane drew near. By morning, the storm had passed and many in our newsroom were breathing sighs of relief. Miami Beach? No damage! Ft. Lauderdale? No damage! Hollywood? Looking good. The conclusion: Andrew's bark was worse than its bite. South Florida had dodged a bullet! And then... the calls came in.

Homestead. Country Walk. Florida City. Every building damaged or destroyed.

I was one of those yelling out that we need to move our crews. "COUNTRY WALK! WE NEED TO GO TO COUNTRY WALK!" I don't know who it was that insisted we stay put. "People need to know Miami Beach is okay. They need to know Ft. Lauderdale is okay." That was what we were told, but here was the real key: our crews were in place. We were live. We had airtime to fill. On and on and on.

"COUNTRY WALK. WE NEED TO GO TO COUNTRY WALK."

WE LET CONVENIENCE GET IN THE WAY OF TELLING THE STORY! Fortunately, with all the calls we were receiving, the geniuses realized we HAD to move our crews south, and get everything in place for the noon newscast, which I was producing. From that moment on, we were fine. But it took too long. Way too long.

And so it was again today, Thursday, September 16, 2004, after Hurricane Ivan's biggest core of destruction passed over the Pensacola area.

Ten hours later (ten hours!), local and national newscasts were STILL leading their shows with their reporters in Mobile, Alabama, which had largely been spared... followed by their reporters in New Orleans (which everybody knew the night before would be spared the worst effects, which are to the north and east of the eyewall).

So while we're hearing all of the same old "dodged a bullet" cliches, and suffering through the countless replaying of reporters vamping it up during every gust of wind, we're not learning how Pensacola Beach was cut off due to bridges being blown out. Nothing about every hospital in the city being damaged. Oh, but there is that Anderson whatever-his-name-is guy getting his pretty hair blown in the wind again. By this point I'm having MY issues. After spending the better part of two decades in newsrooms, I'm allowed to have my issues. I think I've earned them.

So how did I know what was happening in Pensacola? I'm a journalist. It wasn't hard to get that information. I'm sure there were many TV news producers who had some of that same information, but you know what? All that money was spent sending big-name reporters to Mobile and New Orleans, so that leads the show, damn it!

I think TV news did an excellent job, pre-storm, with Ivan, Charley, and Frances. That's what they do well -- coming up with a program, and sticking to it. It's when changes to that program need to be made, and some producer is waiting for some middle manager to approve it (while that middle manager is waiting for some big shot manager, who is waiting to hear back from THEIR boss) that the quagmire that is TV news digs itself deeper into its own putrid quicksand.

Tonight we should take a moment to think of the folks whose lives have been turned upside down by this, and the other hurricanes. They're what's important, not "branding" or "show biz". TV news still doesn't get it.

Jeff

Darryl Kile

#129138 - 09/17/04 11:14 AM Re: Off-Topic Rant
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Jeff yes we should take the moment you raised at the end and for those who lost their lives as well. I saw where one family of five were at home and the whole house was lifted up and destroyed across the street from where it had been.

I too feel that the news sometimes is bullshit but then I also realize that there is a lot of business to be made with news. Revenue goes up, market share goes up. It is sort of like the Roman Forum thing and the christians and the lions without leaving the comfort of you home. It is a sad commentary on ourselves that we seen addicted to seeking blood and destruction in safety. There seems to be little concern for whose blood it is and whose relatives are left to pick up the pieces. Unless of course it is someone who by their stature is newsworthy.

You know Jeff I guess that I why I enjoy happy programs so much. I dont mean sitcoms but truly happy programs. They are hard to find but they do occasionally come along.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#129139 - 09/17/04 01:40 PM Re: Off-Topic Rant
Aden Offline

Happy programs are good. I like them also. But the news is the news. It hasn't changed that much over the years. But think of this: While we are watching the storms blow into the US coast, millions of people are offering help and charity.
You can see it as a blood lust and be correct. You can also be correct if you see it as a charity drive.

Sick of the storm news? Angry as I am with CBS, this one I must blame on higher powers.

Aden

#129140 - 09/17/04 08:00 PM Re: Off-Topic Rant
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Jeff
I have been lucky enough to have visited the US many times, and have nearly always despaired at the standard of news coverage when compared to the UK's - not always the BBC either, we have some credible independants.

One thing I remember reading somewhere, and I'll stand corrected if it isn't correct, is that some of the most expensive advertising space is during the networks main newscasts.
And I firmly believe that the bean counters hold the reins in every major industry, therefore they 'dictate' the tone of what's broadcast.
And the sight of the average working class neigbourhood that's been devasted in a hurricane isn't going to help sell burgers and coke.
Showing that Miami beach will be back in business shortly is much more palatable.

Sadly our TV news seems to be going downhill as well. The war in Iraq certainly seemed a bit 'watered down' for TV viewers compared to some of the online news.

It'll become showbiz in the end, already some of the presenters have reached godlike status, which is a trend I despise. I just want to know what's happening.

Dave

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.