Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
MADcHATTER (54), Ready2MoveOn (44)
Who's Online
4 registered (Going forward, 3 invisible), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63790 Topics
445472 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#129032 - 09/04/04 08:50 AM Stockholm Syndrome
Archnut Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Has anyone got any information on this in simple english?

New Blog (Triggering) entitled Will Self Ate My Curry can be seen at:
http://www.20six.co.uk/weblogCategory/12goyfjdfs92a?p=1

Comments as usual welcome

Archnut

#129033 - 09/04/04 11:33 AM Re: Stockholm Syndrome
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
I read the artical, I felt like I was missing something.

#129034 - 09/05/04 05:42 AM Re: Stockholm Syndrome
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
This is what I could find. It make some sense to me, so would probably be more sense to you.

Leosha

The Stockholm Syndrome

Airplane hostages have been known to sympathize with their captors and become emotionally attached in one case even get married. So what is the Stockholm Syndrome and what causes an emotional attachments with the very people who threaten their lives?

The Name "Stockholm Syndrome"
In 1973, four Swedes held in a bank vault for six days during a robbery became attached to their captors; a phenomenon dubbed the Stockholm Syndrome. According to psychologists, the abused bond to their abusers as a means to endure violence. The most notorious instance came when heiress Patty Hearst was kidnapped by the Symbionese Liberation Army, and after some months, re-christened herself "Tanya" and joined their ranks.

Emotional Bond
The Stockholm Syndrome is an emotional attachment, a bond of interdependence between captive and captor that develops 'when someone threatens your life, deliberates, and doesn't kill you.' (Symonds, 1980) The relief resulting from the removal of the threat of death generates intense feelings of gratitude and fear that combine to make the captive reluctant to display negative feelings toward the captor or terrorist. In fact, former hostages have visited their captors in jail, recommended defense counsel, and even started a defense fund. It is this dynamic, which causes former hostages and abuse survivors to minimize the damage done to them and refuse to cooperate in prosecuting their tormentors. "The victims' need to survive is stronger than his/her impulse to hate the person who has created the dilemma." (Strentz, 1980) The victim comes to see the captor as a 'good guy', even a savior. This condition...occurs in response to the four specific conditions listed below:

A person threatens to kill another and is perceived as having the capability to do so.

The other cannot escape, so her or his life depends on the threatening person.

The threatened person is isolated from outsiders so that the only other perspective available to her or him is that of the threatening person.

The threatening person is perceived as showing some degree of kindness to the one being threatened.

It takes only 3-4 days for the characteristic bond of the Stockholm syndrome to emerge when captor and captive are strangers. After that, research shows, the duration of captivity is no longer relevant.

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#129035 - 09/05/04 06:20 PM Re: Stockholm Syndrome
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

This very definitely can happen to survivors of childhood sexual abuse...at least for me it did with my 8th grade teacher...and I wasn't faced with death like some of my brothers were.
With me, it was all emotional attachment and the, "threat," of what would have happened to me if either one of us was discovered...jail for him and juvenile detention for me. I can't tell you how bad those places were when I was 13. Nobody would have known about the Stockholm Syndrome when I was a boy. I would have been seen as a bad boy who was completely complicit..."hang 'em."

#129036 - 09/05/04 07:03 PM Re: Stockholm Syndrome
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
During one of my therapy sessions a couple of weeks ago, my T used this term (Stockholm Syndrome) to describe my mother and the relationship she developed with my father in order to survive with him. I think it's pretty much right on, in that I'm sure she lived in fear of him, but aligned with him in order to survive.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.