Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
2 registered (iaccus, 1 invisible), 27 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64193 Topics
447967 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#128981 - 09/03/04 08:56 PM Re: Man without a country
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Linda and I have watched in tears the horror of the school hostage situation in what was once the USSR.
The terror is unimaginable, and there's nothing in the world that justifies these actions.

It's possibly harder for us to deal with, we know the effects that childhood trauma can have.
My heart goes out to them all.

We live in difficult times, borders change, religions have taken on greater "importance" to many people, and old enemies are now our friends.
Our new enemies have suddenly become faceless.

It's tempting at times like this to withdraw and reject those from other cultures and religions, but we can't do that. I believe our best chance is to embrace others and accept their ways, and expect the same in return.

But on days such as this, it's mighty hard.

Dave

#128982 - 09/03/04 10:06 PM Re: Man without a country
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Leosha,

I obviously have not lived through the dissolution of the country where I was born. Still, I do not think of you as man without a country.
Quote:
But my life, it is here now. But do I belong here also?
I think you answer your own question.

We are all only human. Countries, patriotism, ethnic pride, religions, all the rest of the things, even languages (it is common that a language has one word for those who speak it, and another for those who do not), that humans use to separate ourselves never really change us. We are still human.

Many long forgotten empires and kingdoms have risen and fallen. Who struck fear in all their enemies' hearts in what is now Bolivia 3000 years ago? Whose ruled on the steppes then? In what is now Maryland? Who were the great teachers and poets of Inuit lands while the pyramids were being built on the other side of the world?

All these civilizations have disappeared without even an echo in history. The people born into them lived their lives with them, and some of those people saw the ends of their worlds, too.

They made their lives where and when they found themselves in the context of the people around them. Whether speaking some language lost millenia ago, or speaking English in the US of A today, people make their lives with their loves and friendships.

Thanks,

Joe

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.