Newest Members
SiegmundNYC, TheGreatWhat, MyNameIsPaul, serenity38, vivo
12486 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
era1 (31), GregoryP (50), GregoryParcell (50), junior (54), KDW78 (36), nansogre (48)
Who's Online
5 registered (FuriousMick, lapchinj, kcinohio, 2 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12486 Members
74 Forums
64149 Topics
447589 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128926 - 08/31/04 12:50 AM Hurricanes!
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Nope, not talking about college football either!

There's another hurricane that has its eye on the Southeastern US. I say enough! Don't know what this one is going to do and hope it just takes a big right turn and heads back out to sea. It is a powerful one.

Anyway, just making sure we've got all our supplies ready to go in case we get hit and beginning the necessary preparations just in case.

Oh well... either you live in a place with hurricanes or earth quakes or tornadoes... The only one I haven't lived in is the earthquake areas.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#128927 - 08/31/04 10:32 AM Re: Hurricanes!
Dan88 Offline

Loc: DC
Don,
My heart goes out to you. I used to live in a house that was in Massachusetts very exposed to the ocean. We didn't get as many hurricanes as you in Florida, but when we got them it was a major problem.

Glad to hear you've got supplies ready. I hope this one decides to just do its thing out at sea. Stay safe.

#128928 - 08/31/04 11:49 PM Re: Hurricanes!
FLRich Offline
MaleSurvivor

Don,

I don't have the option of going through this week without buying more supplies. My youngest son is horrified of hurricanes after Charley hit Captiva Island. My inlaws have a condo there and we received pictures of it without a roof. I explained that no one was there when Charley hit, that the place was insured, there was plenty of warning, and that in a few months his grands condo would be totally rebuilt. It amazes me that as a 16 year old he can be this frightened of a hurricane that may or may not hit us.

Tonight I realized that when I was 16 years old, I wasn't afraid of much. I remember going through hurricanes at 4 years old and through a major hurricane when I was 12 years old. I still am not that afraid because I know I will have plenty of warning.

I wasn't afraid of much at 16 until I was raped by someone I knew, trusted, and believed I was safe with. Somehow, now I dont think of my son's fears regarding safety as being irrational. Even at that age of 16, when you "think" you are grown and "have it going on", you can get nabbed by taking safety for granted. I never take my safety for granted anymore, and now instead of being irritated at my son's "irrational" fears, I am going to go talk to him about never taking his own safety for granted, in any situation, with anybody, at any time.

#128929 - 08/31/04 11:52 PM Re: Hurricanes!
lost_in_thought Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida

#128932 - 09/01/04 01:24 AM Re: Hurricanes!
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
I am praying for you , my brother. And the whole of the East Coast!

#128933 - 09/01/04 08:23 AM Re: Hurricanes!
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
don - i am in fort lauderdale now - so i am singing the blues along with you - and pretty freaked - bought water canned food - got sterno
and stuff -

hope we will be ok -
thanks for the prayers guys -

mark

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#128934 - 09/01/04 10:26 AM Re: Hurricanes!
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Guys I want you all to know that we in the far north are praying that the damned thing stays at sea.

We have only had one hurricane ever hit us and that was Hazel in 1954. Lots of damage and 34 lost souls. We do not have earthquakes of any consequence, no horrendous fire of note and no dust storms. We do get the odd Tornado.

If any of you want to emigrate to Canada I will be happy to recommend that you be allowed in.

There is one thing tho. Unless you live in the greater Toronto Area winter can be quite an experience depending where in the Province you live. The only way to deal with it is to enjoy it ahd take up hockey or skiing or snowmobiling.

P.S. Driving in a blizzard can be a lot of fun. Actually sometimes better than any ride at Disney Parks.

Seriously though I hope you all get through whatever happens safely for you and your loved ones.

\:\)

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#128935 - 09/02/04 12:08 AM Re: Hurricanes!
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Blizzards... Dairy Queen right... LOL! I remember blizzards, snow, cold... I'm a Iowa Farm Boy that got lost and ended up in Miami - well Jeff made me come here, heheheheheee! (just don't tell him,,,, because he has a different story).

Anyway I didn't know there were as many of us down here as there are! Wow,, small world. I've been through 6 hurricanes in NC but never a category 4 so this will be a first for me. I will be surprised if we at least don't lose power.

I'm working on a temp job up in sunrise tomorrow and supposed to be Friday but right now, I have a feeling I will be home early! So much for extra hours of income! GRRR!

Anyway, all we have to do is shut the storm shutters and we are ready! That shouldn't take very long at all to do.

Watching the news, they really have no idea where this thing is going.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#128937 - 09/02/04 09:00 AM Re: Hurricanes!
Ivo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Germany
I didn't watch news these days so I was totally unaware how bad weather forecast is for South East coast.
I'll think in my prayers about all of you that are under threat.
Ivo

#128938 - 09/02/04 06:13 PM Re: Hurricanes!
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Don
Quote:
I've been through 6 hurricanes in NC but never a category 4 so this will be a first for me. I will be surprised if we at least don't lose power.
I admire your resolve !
Isn't a Cat 4 "sustained winds over 140mph" ?
I hope the power failure is the least of your problems.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.