Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
4 registered (JayBro, lostcowboy, 2 invisible), 62 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62521 Topics
438145 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#128797 - 08/29/04 09:39 PM Dog mail
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
No, not 'Dogma' (stupid movie by the way, but funny). Dog mail. My dog. My mail.

My dog eats my mail. When I mail bills, they have teeth marks in them. He also chews on magazines, newspapers, photos and books. I have no idea why.

He is my first pet. He is not a 'puppy', but a grown dog now. He doesn't chew up anything else, like shoes or furniture (good thing to!)

Anyone else have a pet who's done this? Do you know why? and how to make him stop? I asked the vetrinarian when I took him last, he said it could be something missing in his diet, and he tell me to buy this special (expensive) food for him. But he's still doing it. I spray him with a water gun when I see him doing it. But still, when I am not at home, I come home to chew marks on all my bills and things again.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#128798 - 08/29/04 11:43 PM Re: Dog mail
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
Does he have a chew toy? My dog used to chew everything, but I bought her a rope to chew on and the problem is solved. Your dog may simply be bored.
Casey
ps, I loved Dogma! It made you think. But it would have been better with less F words and without Jay and Silent Bob!

#128799 - 08/30/04 06:20 AM Re: Dog mail
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Leosha,

my dog does the same, he is a jack russell terrier, he barks and goes wild, when anyone is coming to the door, he chews my mail, newspapers and anything else.

Never could find a way to stop him doing it, so I went to a hardware store, and bought a basket, to go behind the letter box, he still barks and goes wild, but he can't chew my mail.

If he is chewing stuff already in the house, then the only way I can think, is to keep the stuff away from him, I know if they chew, they sometimes do it because they are lonely, if they are left alone, for long periods of time, they just want something to gnaw on, furniture normally gets it.

Hope you sort it out

ste

#128800 - 08/30/04 08:02 AM Re: Dog mail
Ivo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Germany
Leosha,
your dog is perfectly normal. Adult dogs have territorial instincts, he is always on guard and watching all around your house. He would probably always want to bark on postman and chew your mail items (that postman threw in). There is no perfect solution for this situation. Maybe you need to install mailbox on outside surface of your doors, on that way your mail would be out of rich from your dog.
And just for info: your dog is not understanding when you are punishing him why are you doing that.

PS. when I was child I had dozens dogs

Ivo

#128801 - 08/31/04 05:47 AM Re: Dog mail
Shawn_L35 Offline

Leosha --

I am sorry to laugh -- I just bought a parrot and this darn thing acts like she's the cutest thing in the world but put her on your finger and you're lucky if you have a finger left....

My dogs always chewed things. I think some dogs are just that . . . chewers. Some people say they just need more attention, but knowing your dog, lorik is spoiled rotten and knows it too...lol. Does he still lick the computer screen when people say hi to him???? lol.

Shawn

#128802 - 08/31/04 06:15 AM Re: Dog mail
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
My cat keeps getting in the dishwasher. I can't figure out why, but he seem to like it.

#128803 - 08/31/04 12:11 PM Re: Dog mail
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Brian, just make sure to use the gentle cycle! Thank you all for the advice, everyone. As I said, this is my first dog, and I wasn't sure what is 'normal' or not.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#128804 - 08/31/04 02:08 PM Re: Dog mail
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
For a long time, my cat would open the cupboard doors up and sleep in my cupboards. Some of the ones she liked were very high up and I have no idea how she got the doors open and crawled up there.

Of course if my cat can open any door, she will do it just for kicks. Only a couple of times has she pulled stuff out but mostly it is like her goal to open every possible door there is to open.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.