Newest Members
Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1
12278 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carter (51), CAW1980 (34), Fissy Tsickens (53), Kris (52), Wheatthins (23)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
63175 Topics
441758 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#128767 - 10/12/06 07:34 PM Our pet was killed
Brokenhearted Offline

Loc: TX
I walked outside to our back yard to feed our little white pet rabbit and found it dead in its hutch w/ its head chewed off.

I am shaky and in shock and sad that I did not protect him. Our 3 yr old knows nothing as I had gone out to feed him and get firewood and she stayed inside, so I came back inside and fixed her lunch and I ate nothing.

My husband is not reachable by phone at the moment - he has meetings all day long today - and I want him to come home when he can and discard the poor thing because I cannot bear to look at it again.

I guess I will tell our daughter that it ran away. I don't know when I'll tell her. It was such a sweet little animal, very tame, we got it from a petting zoo and she loved it.

So, just one thing after another.

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
Luke 17:2

#128768 - 10/12/06 10:33 PM Re: Our pet was killed
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Brokenhearted,

I know how you feel about telling your daughter what has happened, but in my opinion telling her the rabbit ran away isn't a good idea. She will be heartbroken and will be waiting for the rabbit to return. When it doesn't, she may feel even worse and think, for example, that the rabbit doesn't love her.

I do think she needs to know that her pet has died, but sure, she doesn't need to know the details. It's tough when kids have to learn the harder aspects of live, but there we are. What's more important is that she be confident that her mother will be honest with her no matter what.

The up-side of this is that a 3-year-old won't have the attention span to grieve for long over a pet. If another pet appears she will soon be fine.

May I suggest a german shepherd (that's what we have)? \:D

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#128769 - 10/12/06 10:55 PM Re: Our pet was killed
Brokenhearted Offline

Larry, thanks for a view of this I had not thought of. I do want to be honest w/ her...

It were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

#128770 - 10/12/06 11:04 PM Re: Our pet was killed
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
sorry Brokenhearted

i too - had a set of chickens from a school incubater and a duckling

i took care of them best i could - and built a cage for them -

and yet a neighbouring cat broke in -

and killed them all -

i found them much as you did - your white rabbit

terribly sad -

but - keeping pets outside - i have now realized -is a risk - yet also their preferred stasis

- peace broken -

MGB

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#128771 - 10/13/06 01:30 AM Re: Our pet was killed
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Brokenhearted,

I'm sorry about your rabbit; I know how attached us people get to our pets. I've had more over the years than I can count on both hands and feet.

As for what to tell your daughter, I understand what both you and Larry are saying. When my daughter was only 2, we adopted a kitten from the pound. We took her to the Vet immediately and got a clean bill of health. Unfortunately, they were wrong and on the 3rd morning that we had her, I woke up to find her dead in my living room. I scooped the kitten up and hid it so my daughter wouldn't see her. How do you explain to a baby that a baby died - there's no way I was going there so I told my daughter that the pound called to tell me that the kitten's mommy came looking for her and asked me to bring her back. My daughter was very sad because she didn't have her kitten, but she was happy that she was back with her mommy.

That little white lie lasted for years until she was old enough to understand what happened and why I didn't tell her the truth in the first place.

ROCK ON.......Trish

#128772 - 10/13/06 02:31 AM Re: Our pet was killed
Brokenhearted Offline

Thanks, everyone. I went ahead and told her that our bunny "went to Heaven." I hinted that maybe he was old and it was his time to go, but that he was happy in Heaven. She looked sad for a bit and then said, "Can we get a brown one or a spotted black one?" I said we'll see. I don't want to think of getting another one and having the same thing happen - I think it was cats. So we'll have to think on this one a while. She later did ask me what "die" means and I told her... she's ok. I hugged her and said it was all right to feel sad and that we would miss the little rabbit. It's ok now.

#128773 - 10/14/06 02:25 AM Re: Our pet was killed
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
BH,

At least you were able to stick to rabbits. When ours got sick and had to be put down we ended up replacing her with a hundred pounds of cuddly playful german shepherd!

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#128774 - 10/14/06 02:44 AM Re: Our pet was killed
Brokenhearted Offline

Larry,

I've know two German shepherds in my life, named Brunhilda and Frieda. They were GREAT dogs.

I've had dogs all my life when I lived w/ my parents. My all-time favorite was an Irish Setter/black lab mix. She looked like a black Irish Setter, and had great intelligence and heart.

We'll probably get a dog one of these days... the problem is that when we travel it's just such a hassle to have someone step in to care for them when we're gone, and we live 2 hrs from a major city we like to visit quite often if only for 1-2 days at a time. But I do miss planting kisses atop a large dog head, right between the eyes. \:\)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.