Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
2 registered (ethereo222, ShortedDiode), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63227 Topics
442142 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128617 - 08/18/04 12:12 AM Prostate Exam
Doppelganger1 Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
I got a surprise at my doctor's appointment today -- my first prostate exam. Ugh, no fun, but at least that part of my anatomy looked normal.

On the bad side, the doctor said there appeared to be hemoglobin in my fecal occult blood test. I'm going to need to take some samples at home, and hope it was a false positive.

Jeff

Darryl Kile

#128618 - 08/18/04 06:43 AM Re: Prostate Exam
Archnut Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Im having my bloods done tomorrow for possible prostrate problems, best be on the safe side!

Archnut

#128619 - 08/18/04 08:03 PM Re: Prostate Exam
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I guess many of us are at "that age" when we need to get this done.

My doctor knows about my abuse, and examined me with great care and tact. Perhaps he's the same with all his patients? Probably is.

But if we fear we might be triggered by this examination then we have to tell the doctor.
We're not going to embarrass them, it's what they do and have been trained for. But if they don't know, they might just go for speed rather than tact!

Our embarrasment, or even being triggered, won't kill us. Prostate cancer can.

Dave

#128620 - 08/19/04 12:11 AM Re: Prostate Exam
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
I applaud Jeff for the courage on this as I can't be strong enough to do this myself nor I fear I can't be strong enough to be there for him right now on this. This entire topic is just so triggering for me and I can't get much further past it than that. I wish I could be more for him on this, but I'm afraid it is a limitation I have right now - and I really hate that..

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#128622 - 08/20/04 11:42 PM Re: Prostate Exam
Doppelganger1 Offline

Fortunately I didn't know I was going to get any of these tests, so I didn't really have time to worry about them. Well, for about five minutes or so I was sweating. I'm hoping the hemoglobin reading at the doctor's office was just a false positive. I'll know in another week or two.

Jeff

Darryl Kile

#128623 - 08/21/04 01:13 AM Re: Prostate Exam
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
I've had a well checked prostate this last year. Like it changed a lot over the last two weeks. But that isn't something that you can be too careful with.

Open and frank discussion with your medical providers can make the experiences less stressful. It really does work, it is one of the best thing that I have done for myself.

As a matter of fact, I had another frank discussion today. The nurse was very appreciative of my openness and made the appropiate actions and made notes on my chart that didn't say what it was, but would start a conversation with the next health provider I will be encountering with that chart.

Open, frank, and honest communication with your health care providers does wonders.

Take care,
Bill

#128624 - 08/21/04 01:24 AM Re: Prostate Exam
EGL Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill_1965:
Open, frank, and honest communication with your health care providers does wonders.

Take care,
Bill
I agree, Bill. Two days after I disclosed to my wife about my childhood sexual abuse, I knew I was losing my mind so I went to my family doctor to get some anti-depressants. He asked some general questions about symptoms and I told him that "I think I just think too much about the past." He then asked me if I had suffered any trauma as a child. I started crying and couldn't stop for several minutes. Finally, I composed myself enough to tell him about the sexual abuse. He was very understanding, prescribed necessary anti-anxiety medication (Xanax), and made contacts to have me begin therapy. Believe it or not, folks, your family doctors really do want to HELP you.

#128625 - 08/26/04 12:45 AM Re: Prostate Exam
vader Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
Hope everything comes out OK for you.

My abuse came from a doctor back when I was still a minor.. \:\( That makes it very hard to ever go to one. I just don't trust 'em.

#128626 - 08/27/04 12:09 PM Re: Prostate Exam
Archnut Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Bloods back

Everything ok

Archnut

#128627 - 08/27/04 02:52 PM Re: Prostate Exam
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Hey Arch glad to hear that. \:D

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#128628 - 08/27/04 11:54 PM Re: Prostate Exam
Doppelganger1 Offline

That's good news, Archnut. My test results should be back next week.

Jeff

Darryl Kile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.