Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
4 registered (Nothing Man, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64169 Topics
447789 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#128404 - 08/03/04 01:29 PM Court Ruling on John Doe in the Park
Aden Offline

In a surprise move, the US 7th District Court of Appeals has overturned a lower court ruling in the Case of “John Doe v. Lafayette.”

The court has found that the city does in fact have the right to ban a convicted pedophile from city park property. The ruling was based upon behaviors for which he was convicted, rates of recidivism among pedophiles, and confessed fantasies of pedophilic behavior specific to the public park system.

The children and parents of Lafayette won a battle against a monster. We may not be much more safe than we were yesterday, but we have at least some measure of control in our own self protection.

This isn’t about the thought police. If we all had cartoon balloons above our heads announcing our feelings, we would all be in a shit load of trouble! Our liberty to think must be protected. So also must be our freedom to live in a civil society. Had John Doe never been convicted of child molestation, his thoughts on the subject would be irrelevant. Had he not confessed to entertaining those thoughts while lurking in a park behind a grade school, there would be no reason to ban him from that place.

Certainly civil right must be protected. But those protected rights must be, above all else, civil.

Aden

#128405 - 08/03/04 04:39 PM Re: Court Ruling on John Doe in the Park
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Thanks for the update Aden.

I feel the court made the right decision and that due process was followed.

#128406 - 08/03/04 08:59 PM Re: Court Ruling on John Doe in the Park
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
It is really good to hear of successes like this--too often we read of decisions that are so ignorant they are hard to believe it was not a misprint. Thanks for the encouragement.

Bob

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.