Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445577 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#128256 - 09/15/06 01:07 AM Characters I connected with as a child
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I don't know how much value this thread might carry, but I just felt like giving it a try.

When I was 8, 9, 10yo, I tried to escape my chaotic and rotten life by disappearing into a couple of tv shows (there were others, but two sci-fi shows stood out to me). One was Star Trek. The other was Lost In Space. Both series were rerun in the early 70s. I hated to see either show end because I relied on them so much to carry me through the rough times. I always wished Captain Kirk would just come and get me, and take me away to keep me safe and cared for on the Enterprise. I also admired Will Robinson and wanted him to come and save me too. He was a smart, cunning and self-reliant boy, everything I wasn't at the time.

I've since grown out of those fantasies, but I still feel connected to those moments, those times.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#128257 - 09/15/06 01:32 AM Re: Characters I connected with as a child
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
wow this is neat

i just got this as part of an email - i don't know this person - but it seems to resonate here:

Alberto Manguel told us, "There are characters in books that become our own
because they speak to us as initmately as if they'd been imagined for us,
and define us as forcefully as the first time we meet a great teacher or the
first time we fall in love."

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#128258 - 09/15/06 03:27 AM Re: Characters I connected with as a child
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Former Texan,

I was a reader and daydreamer as a kid, and for as long as I can remember there were lots cool books in our house. Because she had an older brother, my Mom had received from him a whole bunch of old novels that she then gave to me. Things like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island, Kidnapped, and so on - so mainly books written as adventure reading for boys anyway. These copies were an adventure to me already; they were printed in the 1920s and had a lot of old-fashioned illustrations. I thought they were so cool! \:\) I still gasp when I think of the boy in Treasure Island, Jim Hawkins, hiding in the apple barrel as a pirate's knife comes down into the barrel reaching for an apple to spear!

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#128259 - 09/15/06 04:24 PM Re: Characters I connected with as a child
ForeverFighting Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Mexico, USA
Superman. I watched reruns of George Reeves and believed I could fly away from all the rottenness in the world. I still have dreams of being able to fly away. Then came the 6 Million Dollar Man. I spent half my time playing in slow-mo. \:D Taking somebody who had been mangled by life, rebuilding him so that he can take down any bad guy. Yes, Mark, "as if they'd been imagined for us." The Incredible Hulk. Oh, and there's some haunting piano, too.

The movie stunk and was creepy, but I was "The Cable Guy", raised on TV and trying to make a better life in my imagination. "Everything I wasn't at the time." Indeed.

"This search for the truth--it's not for the faint of heart."--Goren on 'Law & Order: CI'
"The former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart."--Isaiah 65:17

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.