Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
innocence (60), pablo999 (53)
Who's Online
4 registered (manipulated, GT13568, 2 invisible), 12 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64189 Topics
447915 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#128225 - 07/23/04 11:53 AM Rest in peace, Ginger
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Most of you are going to think I'm being too sentimental or stupid, but I really don't care.

There's a daily comic strip written by a Massachusetts resident, Lennie Peterson, called "The Big Picture." It's like a daily "American Splendor" (for you Harvey Peckar fans) or "Seinfeld" (for everyone else) as it's based on Lennie's real life. He owned a cat named Ginger, and by the strips's own depiction, Lennie is a cat person like me.

Well, since the strip is based on real-time and real-life, Lennie showed that his cat got very sick and died, which was the strip that ran today.

I'm very media-oriented, and the comics (books, strips), books, and movies are really important and interesting to me. There have been only two comic strips that have ever made me cry. Three stories in the wonderful Lynn Johnston strip, "For Better or for Worse": Lawrence's coming out, the family dog, Farley, dying, and the main character, Elly's, mother dying. And now Lennie made me cry yesterday and today.

Ginger was a real cat and a real pet. Lennie's work has mostly made me laugh. Sometimes, it's made me think. Today, I cried for a cat I never met, but "knew" nevertheless. There's an allegory connected between that and a lot of the guys here. But that's not the issue now.

I had two cats in my life. Spike and Pansy. Both are gone, and I thought of them today for the first time in years. Anyone who says pets aren't important never had one.

Those of you who do have pets, hug them today (except if they're fish, or tarantulas, or something, then show your affection another way). And anyone who's curious about "The Big Picture" can see the strip at http://www.ucomics.com. Use the dropdown menu and look up "The Big Picture."

Like I said, stupid, but I don't care.

Rest in peace, Ginger.

And look out for "Cartoon Boy" while you're in Cat Heaven.

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#128226 - 07/23/04 11:58 AM Re: Rest in peace, Ginger
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
Cats Rock!

Jeff and I have two cats. We lost one to diabetes and I still miss it and think about it.

I've always been an animal person (that's why my undergraduate degree was in Animal Science). I just love the critters and if I didn't live in the city, I would have all kinds of them.

Anyway, I follow Garfield every day - I just love Garfield...

Of course my cat gets jealous of me if I spend time with other cats (including Jeff's cat).

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#128227 - 07/23/04 12:03 PM Re: Rest in peace, Ginger
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

scot,
if you're stupid, than i count myself in excelent company. i am also a cat person, or it might be more appropriate to say cats tolerate me better than they tolerate many others (need to be a cat person to follow that one lol). i have also owned other pets in the past and have grieved at each of their passings, and wept at the passing of another friend's loss of his faithful friend whom i loved as well. once the interaction takes place, whether a comic strip, friendship, or personal stewardship, the bond is there for life and the grief is real. thank you for sharing this, bro. i believe ginger would have easily "tolerated" you \:\) .

- It is gift, and gift will find its way
- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy
- I was not given to serve life, but to embrace it

#128228 - 07/23/04 12:20 PM Re: Rest in peace, Ginger
Aden Offline

Sorry for your loss. You can have my cat. E-mail me your address and I will ship him COD, frozen is cheeper. His name is Joe. He calls me by name. He thinks he is a dog. He enjoys long walks in the woods, and needs to be shaved twice a year. Like all cats he is demanding and snotty. I don't like him much and all he wants from me is food. Sometimes he bites when he wants to be loved. I find that abusive. He thinks that he is God. I think he is a cat. A cat with a larger than normal vocabulary. Anthropomorphistic. My cat typed that word and he cant spell.

Aden

#128229 - 07/24/04 02:46 AM Re: Rest in peace, Ginger
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I liike ccats. Bbut i heharr of ginger, it htink giliagan ilasnd.

aanderi

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.