Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Jeremy (29), john22 (31), just starting (58)
Who's Online
2 registered (petercorbett, 1 invisible), 10 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64183 Topics
447873 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128164 - 07/20/04 12:26 PM Entry to USA
Archnut Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi

A question:

If an abuser is convicted of sexual abuse (and is currently serving a prison sentence in the UK) and that same perp has dual nationality with the USA. How does this conviction effect his status with regard entry?

Would his dual nationality still grant him automatic entry?

Curious thought I just had.

Archnut
"And all that was left was hope"

My Story (TRIGGERS)
http://www.waltonhop.blogspot.com

#128165 - 07/20/04 12:43 PM Re: Entry to USA
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
I think that you would need to call the offices of Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) to answer that question.

#128166 - 07/21/04 05:34 AM Re: Entry to USA
learning2remember Offline

Loc: Europe
I'm no expert, but this one sounds pretty basic.

I can't imagine how a US citizen, showing a US passport, could be denied entry into the US.

They might ask a question like, "What were you doing abroad?" If the person answers, "Serving time for SA," I don't know what they do, but I still doubt they can deny entry.

After all, we can't kick citizens out of the country when they are convicted.

Again, I'm no expert, though.

#128167 - 07/26/04 01:58 AM Re: Entry to USA
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Another variation of this. I, and two other people I know of, have made criminal charges against this man who abused all of us. Yet, he has still not been officially charged, no trial, he is not 'serving time' at all. It is still reportedly in 'investigation'. But he still is working as coach, and will still have occasion to travel as coach to other countries then Russia, including U.S. I am just wondering what restrictions will be on him. Thank you for raising this, although I don't have the answer. It is something I will look into for my own use.

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#128168 - 07/26/04 03:12 AM Re: Entry to USA
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
Two things.

1. The US does NOT recognize dual nationality with any nation. It is overlooked with Mexico and Israel because in those cases nationality is determined by ethnic background and not by place of birth.

2. The right of reentry by it’s citizens is not absolutely guaranteed by US law, but if you have a Valid US Passport, or you can show that you have a lawful right to be in the country you will be admitted as long as you are not wanted by the police.

He may need to register as a sex offender, check the reciprocity agreements with the US and the country of origin.

#128169 - 07/26/04 03:37 AM Re: Entry to USA
brian-z Offline

I got curious and did a’little checking, some prosecutors have applied convictions in Canada to three strike cases in California. So a case could be made for Sex offender registration.

Hope that helps

#128170 - 07/26/04 02:11 PM Re: Entry to USA
Archnut Offline

Here is some more information:

This abuser did not have a US Passport at the time of his conviction if he applied for a passport in a few years time would he be given one?

I cannot find anything on the US immigration and entry website, to be perfectly honest I wouldnt know where to begin looking at the thing

BTW He owns some property in NYC as far as I know.

Archnut

My Story (TRIGGERS)

#128171 - 07/26/04 08:35 PM Re: Entry to USA
brian-z Offline

All you need for a US passport is proof of citizenship and photo ID.

#128172 - 07/30/04 04:54 AM Re: Entry to USA
MrEdd Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Texas
Actually he may stll be liable if he returns to the states under recent sex tuorism laws.
U.S. Government Agencies Partner to Combat Child Sex Tourists

#128173 - 07/30/04 10:04 AM Re: Entry to USA
brian-z Offline

I'm running late so this will be short.

if he is in prison in the UK post conviction, then he is portected from US prosicution by double jepardy. Also there are some real constitutional problums with the law in question.

sorry for the spelling.

#128174 - 07/30/04 10:56 AM Re: Entry to USA
Archnut Offline

Thanks Brian

I'll let you guys known when he travels to the USA, this wont be for a few years yet. When he was first accused he discribed us survivors as "Occupational Hazards" this triggerd off a huge response from other survivors two of those responses originated in the US and Canada.

Dont know if this would affect his entry!

just another thopught

Archnut

My Story (TRIGGERS)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.