Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446698 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128071 - 07/16/04 05:10 PM Re: patriot act?
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

marc,
i am crying that was sooooooo hilarious! even i cannot add to that pair...of quips that is \:D

mike,
the lynching would be too saddamistic...he would have to find another way to respond, but with marc's observation, i don't think you hve much to worry about \:\)

- It is gift, and gift will find its way
- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy
- I was not given to serve life, but to embrace it

#128072 - 07/16/04 09:12 PM Re: patriot act?
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
The lynching would be from society theo. I live in Smalltown, USA. Bowling and drinking are the main social events here. They can be combined together, or you can just do the drinking on it's own.

#128073 - 07/16/04 11:56 PM Re: patriot act?
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Thank you for explaining some in response to my question Theo. As to the rest, it seems people do not like Bush and co. Spoken as non-citizen and from the outside of your political system, I would humbly suggest a reform of the electoral college system, and possibly presidential 'line item' veto. But that is just me, and of course, how is that accomplished?

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#128074 - 07/17/04 12:02 AM Re: patriot act?
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

How about a complete overhaul of the system? With the technology and everything else available, we have many options. Since the govt. likes to spend money on new agencies and major projects to get out of economic slumps, how about a whole new system? Let's separate items and vote individually on them rather than clumping them together in some stupid collective bargaining agreement. Let's publish the items and how our representatives vote on them. Let's open up a whole new agency where people can vote on individual items directly to their representatives. Make it a project that is similar to the way the post office was. Let's make voting available 6 days a week with branches in every town. Make the politicians answer to the people. (see, I'm going to get kicked out. lol)

#128075 - 07/17/04 12:13 AM Re: patriot act?
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

leo,
the electoral college is definitely something that would need to be addressed. however, it is not as simple as mass direct democracy such as the ancient greeks (leave aside the franchise was granted only to those who were citizens, defined as men). ideally, the elctoral college works as well as the will of the people want it to through the chocie of the vote. when it comes right down to it, a representative is as good as, or as bad as, we choose to make it. if we allow our choice to be swayed by the moment, or power, than we have surrendered already. sound familiar? in this, it is a choice we make. btw, leo...a line item veto would work, but only if the office earned it. there is some vero power the presidential office has, but there must be safeguards against abuse...however theoretical that safeguard is. a straight line item veto could be too dangerous if by straight it was allowed to be at will.

those are good and sensible suggestions, leosha. if i could, i would write you in for the next election ;\)

- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy

#128076 - 07/17/04 09:51 AM Re: patriot act?
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Sounds like this discussion should be moved to Off Topic. Seems survivor issues got a little side tracked? :rolleyes:

#128077 - 07/17/04 12:21 PM Re: patriot act?
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

oooops \:\)

actually, ken, that crossed my mind as i was responding last time. (insert innocent look, whistling smiley here)

#128078 - 07/18/04 11:59 AM Re: patriot act?
Aden Offline

There is a large Arab population in the town where I live. So far, not a single suicide bomber has blown up the shoppin mall or pizza parlor.

Will the feds read this because I used the words "suicide bomber?" Maybe. Do I care? Not at all. If my mom had been a little more vigilent when I was being abuse, it might never have happened.

Some people think that the Patroit Act is an abuse of their civil rights. I see it more as a protection of my right to life. But then I use to eat my lunch in the plaza between the WTC towers.
I guess it is just a matter of point of view.

Aden

#128079 - 07/18/04 12:06 PM Re: patriot act?
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yes, and I have eaten lunch in the restaurants in the buildings there too, before the buildings fell. I have also been a member of the WTC organization.

Everybody is allowed their point of view on things, that is, for now at least (as long as most of the time you keep it to yourself, or scream it so loud that you won't get consumed by your surroundings). We still have that right, until GW or someone else takes what's left of that away too. Yes, why should it feel any different to you. It is what you were programmed to find acceptable. We apparently don't have rights to our own bodies, why should we have any rights to anything else either.

#128080 - 07/18/04 01:44 PM Re: patriot act?
Aden Offline

There is a difference between programming and well considered thought. The value of my opinion cannot be reduced by judging it to be programming.I have little use for the federal government and consider those who rise to national power to ALL be highly suspect. The only rightful purpose of the Federal government is the protection of its citizens from undue infringment on their God given rights, among which the most important is the right to life. At times the government MUST impose some restrictions on the lesser liberties in order to protect the greater good.

They take my hard earned money from me by force, to build roads and schools. It is an infringment to which I sometimes agree. They restrict my freedom to act on my impulses in many ways. Again I agree to be subject to those restrictions because they protect me from others doing the same.

While being subject to the "social contract" I cannot recall being asked to sign on, or given any other option. I deeply resent any intrusion into my life by the government. But I also deeply resent having my lunch room blown up by forign radicals. In th balance, I prefer that my elected representitives take actions that, while they may limit my theoretical freedom, are designed to inhibit others from murdering me at random will.

I don't believe that there are people out there who would like to kill me, rape me, and take my stuff, because Bush or Limbaugh told me so. Nor am I paranoid. I believe those things because in my life they have been proven true.

The Patriot Act doesn't offend me simply because there is nothing that I wish to do that the government is in any way interested in with this legislation. I am more afraid of the anti-gun lobby than the Bush Administration.

There are plenty of things wrong with this government, this nation, and the whole human race. The Patriot Act is way down toward the bottom of my list. That is not my pre-programned thinking. I am not a flying monkey or mind numb robot. I am just a guy who would like to believe that I can have a pastromi on rye in the public square and make it back to work on time.

Aden

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.