Newest Members
The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101, JCEldrid
12286 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
2 registered (wiresguy1, 1 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12286 Members
73 Forums
63205 Topics
441967 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#128045 - 07/16/04 12:04 PM One of the great movie soliloquys
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Yeah, yeah, movies on the brain, I hear you all groaning. It's summer time. The beautiful people have the beaches at St. Tropez, I have the inside of a cinema or a video playing. To each their own seasonal pleasures. :p

I was an English major, and most folk think the great soliloquys came from the British playwrights. Yep, there were a few good ones, no question, but I'd challenge anyone to beat some of the ones in recent movies.

The best one? Oh, there are many contenders. I'm particularly fond of Michael Douglas' "greed is good" speech from "Wall Street." And you can't get more pungent than DeNiro's "one day, a big rain's gonna come and wash the streets clean" monologue from "Taxi Driver." Liam Neeson's "I could've done more" from "Schindler's List" still makes me cry.

But the greatest, in my humble opinion \:D , comes from "Blade Runner." Rutger Hauer's replicant character just kicked the living s**t out of Harrison Ford's, and when he could've thrown Harrison from the roof they were fighting on, he instead pulls him up on the roof. Rutger, you see, has only four years to live (genetic programming), and rather than spend his last few minutes killing, he chooses to share his views with Harrison. It helps to picture two guys, looking like utter dogs**t, sprawled on a roof in the seedy, eternal-night rain of a future Los Angeles. Rutger (can't remember the character's name), totally spent and dying, turns to speak....

"I've seen things you people can only imagine. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've seen c-beams glitter in the sun orbiting Jupiter's moons.

"These things will be lost, gone, in the passage of time. Like tears in the rain.

"Time to die."

What gets me the most is the "tears in the rain" line. Everything will be lost like this, so we better enjoy what we have now.

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#128046 - 07/16/04 12:48 PM Re: One of the great movie soliloquys
Aden Offline

"Our little lives are as a tale told by an idiot. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Shakespear.

Like tears in the rain.

#128047 - 07/16/04 11:06 PM Re: One of the great movie soliloquys
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
I think my favorite would be from A Time To Kill.
The scene is the closing arguments in Smauel L Jackson's murder case. I can not remember it verbatim. But I remember some. "Picture the little girl, covered in their semen and her blood. Crying for her daddy." The most powerful part, "Now imagine she is white." THat tears me up everytime I see the movie!
Casey

#128048 - 07/18/04 01:48 PM Re: One of the great movie soliloquys
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Mystic River

Shaun Penn was brilliant in this story about CSA watched it thinking it was a true story, lots of emotion in there.

Story falls to pieces as you will find, but then again it is not based on fact, imagine the movies we could make?

Don't think they would show it though

Take care all

ste

#128049 - 07/20/04 08:44 PM Re: One of the great movie soliloquys
Dwayne T Offline

Loc: lawndale, Ca
Mystic river was good until the end that sucked so because someone knew and based on a rumor the guy had to die b/s

Quote:
Originally posted by reality2k4:
Mystic River

Shaun Penn was brilliant in this story about CSA watched it thinking it was a true story, lots of emotion in there.

Story falls to pieces as you will find, but then again it is not based on fact, imagine the movies we could make?

Don't think they would show it though

Take care all

ste

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.