Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mrwhiskers (25), SouthernLaw (41), TerryT (61)
Who's Online
2 registered (Laurie, Obi), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64159 Topics
447737 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 ... 25 26 >
Topic Options
#127454 - 06/17/04 04:29 PM Come get a standing ovation!
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
This is really corny, and it may flop horribly, but at least give me credit for trying…

When I was in Canada at the Paris Weekend of Recovery, I at one point found myself sitting with three or four guys banging on drums and having a great time. The fact that I was banging a drum by itself is a feat because I was always self-conscious participating in an activity where I could make a mistake and feel foolish (like this post ). Naturally, I needn’t have worried because we were all opening up and pushing our comfort level… but I digress.

So we were drumming and after a while we slowed, then stopped for a moment before starting again. In that short time I made a decision that was very, very meaningful to me. I yelled, “I WANT A STANDING OVATION!”

Here I am, a guy that, contrary to outer appearances, does not really like to draw attention to himself, demanding a standing ovation; at first I was met with curious looks and raised eyebrows. Regardless, I sat there on the floor waiving my hands in the international sign for “get up!” And sure enough, everyone in the room, not just the drumming dudes, stood and gave me a very warm, loud, heart wrenching, standing ovation. Thanks guys, you know who you are.

When the applause and shouting died down, I explained that in 1988 I was a shy freshman just entering college. We all met in the gym one day where an afternoon of motivational activities was planed that was meant to help us shake our shyness and get to know the people in our new community. So here we are, a crowd of what I remember to be, or at least, looked like three hundred and the first thing they tell us is this:

“Anytime during the program, if somebody wants a standing ovation, they need only to shout at the top of their lungs ‘I want a standing ovation’ and we will stop everything. The people next to that person will lift them to their shoulders while the rest of us stand and clap.”

Many times over the course of the afternoon we heard and heeded the call. However, I was one of those people too shy to ever push themselves to do something so outrageous, but later that night I very much wished I had. \:\(

Well I finally did it. I waited sixteen years, but I did it and it felt great because I knew my new friends wouldn’t let me down.

So if you want a standing ovation just post it! Shout it loud right under this post with caps! And I for one will respond with a standing ovation post of my own, and hopefully, everyone else will too.

In fact you should have a standing ovation just for reading all of that!

!!!((((((((((((((((((((CLAP))))))))))))))))))))!!!

Don’t be shy now! All you have to is ask!

Eh Mike? ;\)

#127455 - 06/17/04 04:35 PM Re: Come get a standing ovation!
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

well done, curtis. i for one am standing with that crowd giving you the ovation you deserve \:\) ...though i will pass for myself \:D

- It is gift, and gift will find its way
- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy
- I was not given to serve life, but to embrace it

#127456 - 06/17/04 04:47 PM Re: Come get a standing ovation!
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Well, allow me to be first. With all the crap that's been going on, I deserve to be egotistical! \:D

I WANT A STANDING OVATION!!!!!!!!!!

God, but did that feel good!

Thanks, Curtis!

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#127457 - 06/17/04 04:49 PM Re: Come get a standing ovation!
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
COME ON EVERYBODY! A STANDING OVATION FOR SCOT!!!

CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP

#127458 - 06/17/04 04:54 PM Re: Come get a standing ovation!
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

scott, i am standing and clappiing till my hands hurt \:D

- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy

#127459 - 06/17/04 05:00 PM Re: Come get a standing ovation!
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
I invited 'family and friends' to this post, lord knows they deserve the biggest S. O.!

#127460 - 06/17/04 05:10 PM Re: Come get a standing ovation!
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

curtis,
could not agree more...though i have to say with all this standing ovation stuff and clapping i don't know how i am going to be able to type much for awhile. and one handed clapping wont work because slapping my forward repeatedly while i type is not conducive to coherent responses \:D .

#127461 - 06/17/04 05:13 PM Re: Come get a standing ovation!
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Um... you don't actually have to clap Theo... you can just type it.

(I'm kidding)

I really, really want to give you an 'SO' Theo but you have to actually ask for it, those are the rules.

#127462 - 06/17/04 05:16 PM Re: Come get a standing ovation!
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

thank you for clearing up the misconception about the clapping, now i have to take some advil for the headache \:D

regarding the S.O. for me, my friend, it is the thought that counts, but the request would have to be felt to be worthy of it. if i make it there, i will let you know, count on it, bro.

#127463 - 06/17/04 05:23 PM Re: Come get a standing ovation!
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Quote:
Um... you don't actually have to clap Theo... you can just type it.
Roland that is freaking hilarious, can I give you a standing ovation for that?

Hey Scot...

CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP

\:D

Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 ... 25 26 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.