Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, Doubter, 1 invisible), 54 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63119 Topics
441403 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#127297 - 06/07/04 01:12 PM Re: D-Day
kolisha54 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Wow! This is fascinating - and - we seem to have 2 kinds of reactions to it: (1) some of us feel humbled & minimize our own "stuff," (2) some of us feel "comforted" to know that we are in "good company." For me, I think it's a little of both. Where can we find out about all of this historical information?

#127298 - 06/10/04 08:12 PM Re: D-Day
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
A lot of brave soldiers who suffered from we call PTSD were court martialled and shot as cowards. Some, the luckier ones who were badly affected to the point of incapacity, were shut away in asylums.
It's small wonder that so many people who were affected didn't say a thing, they suffered in silence.

Dave

#127299 - 06/11/04 04:09 AM Re: D-Day
Ivo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Germany
Hello friends, I just want to say few words here because unfortunately I have war experience and can say to you something about it. When you are in war environment you feel like you are in worst nightmare and there are no strong words for describing that kind of stress and mental pressure that is lasting for months and years with the same intensity. Maybe Gertrude Stein described this on best and shortest way when she said that it was "totally unreal". Main difference in comparison to SA is that this stress is spread through huge number of people, actually over all population that is somehow involved in it, and that is main reason that it is very easy to spike about it with other people with the same kind of experience.

I am great full to god that I don't have posttraumatic war syndrome but there are huge number of people especially former soldiers that can not cope with normal everyday tasks because of it. They somehow are not able to adapt to normal environment and seems that many of them are still living in their minds in war times. (Is this sounds familiar to you?)

If you like to investigate and you like movies I would recommend you: Thin red line; it is a realistic war film without "Hollywood blockbuster action" and huge bunch of great actors are in it.

#127300 - 06/17/04 01:02 AM Re: D-Day
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

kolisha,
part of the reason for the difference in response to the trauma of the two different wars is partly because of the state of affairs back then relative to the mental health field and to the overall culture of the war effort. the symptoms were there for many of the veterans of the d-day, and other wwII battles, but many things contributed to the difference. part of it was the "debriefing" time. part of it was the culture of the time. by that i mean that the 40's were a totally different time and place. there was the "old school" mentality that still worked on victorian values, there was the infant state of the mental health profession, broadly speaking that is, and there was a heroic element that was in wwII that was lacking in the popular mind of the vietnam era. we as a nation just came out of the great depression because of the war, victorian ideals were in the "john wayne" kind of mold...men were men and did not balk at duty, so to speak. the vietnam war introduced wholesale slaughter of combatants and innocents. the most disturbing sign for me from that time period was the reaction of the parents to the kent state massacre. there was published studies about the violence and its aftermath from kent state. the majority of the parents interviewed for the series of studies said they wished their own children had been there and had been shot. i kid you not, this was a research study published in a professional journal.

the wwII vets did suffer ptsd, as did the vietnam vets, but it was a different time and a different place for both. take care.

- It is gift, and gift will find its way
- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy
- I was not given to serve life, but to embrace it

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.