Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyrus (44), Dupe1978 (36), James_Is_Talking (36), K-man (58), LordShiningStarr (36), ricky (51), Shawn Hope (29), teresa (42), Warner82 (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 24 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446700 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#127287 - 06/07/04 07:48 AM D-Day
kolisha54 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Have been finding myself unexpectedly transfixed by all the coverage of the anniversary.... On a personal note, I am in AWE of the veterans who survived such tremendous hardship, who saw so much death & destruction, who went on to lead honorable, productive lives. Was there something different about that generation? How did they manage to emerge from all of this without a hint of the "symptoms" of "shell shock" that we have come to associate with WWI or with Viet Nam, The Gulf War or Iraq?

#127288 - 06/07/04 09:53 AM Re: D-Day
Pollyanna Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
Hey...

I had a discussion about this a couple years ago with my cousin who spent quite some time doing "special missions" in Viet Nam.

He said he felt that the "times" were a major factor in why Viet Nam vets had such a significantly harder time living than other war vets. In the earilier times, when the guys were ready to come home, they spent long periods of time on boats, where they could be together and talk about things. He said he felt like they had the opportunity to come to terms with things better before they actually came home... like right after the experience, being able to put it in it's place. Now, they hop on a plane and in a few hours they are whisked from horror and thrown back into a society that can't possibly comprehend what they had just been through.

Viet Nam vets also weren't received home with the "warmest" welcome, which wasn't fair.

My cousin suffered severe PTSD. I guess 'special missions' will do that to you. He spent his life trying to help other vets, and was very vocal in New England as to those issues, POW/MIA stuff, and the V.N. Wall. It never took away the flashbacks, the fear, or the guilt he felt for being part of things he had never even comprehended could exist. To someone who didn't know him, until a few years ago, it looked like he had a normal life and that he was dealing with things pretty well.

Anyway, that was what he said he thought the difference was in the way earlier war vets were able to cope, as opposed to him and the guys he knew.

He died alone in his house in the woods of New Hampshire a year ago in February on his 51st birthday. The last few times we talked, he sounded much like the guys here. Not able to sleep, frequent flashbacks, horrible dreams, and lots of fear.

So senseless what we humans do to each other.

I miss him.

Lynn

– Anne Lamott

#127289 - 06/07/04 10:56 AM Re: D-Day
kolisha54 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I am sooooo sorry for your loss!!

I wish I had had the opportunity to correspond with him - he sounds like he was a very brave person & a real teacher.

Did he ever mention WWI by way of comparison? Before there was "PTSD," there was "shell shock." Believe it or not, I worked with a very old gentleman at one of my prior jobs in the early 80's who remembered the homecoming from WWI when he was a little boy. The vets were given great respect upon their return, but many of them suffered "symptoms" for years....

I am wondering why the difference?

#127290 - 06/07/04 11:10 AM Re: D-Day
Pollyanna Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
I don't know if there were any other differences...he just mentioned that the earlier vets had "time" to process things, and I guess "commiserate" together before being reabsorbed into a society that didn't WANT to understand the atrocities they had just been through. He never really differentiated between the world wars. Just between them, and the V.N. vets.

We had some really cool conversations, and I am sure you would have appreciated him. Somehow, he kept his outrageous sense of humor. The thing he stressed was how unbelievable it was to be an innocent 18 year old raised in a nurturing environment, and then tossed into a physical and mental jungle where nothing made sense. Then forced to do things he had never even dreamed existed. He said he was lost, and it wasn't even him. He was just going through the motions. Gee, sounds very familiar!

I have a picture that I'm trying to put here, but as usual, computers are kicking my butt.

I'll get it eventually! I'm just "computer challenged"!!!!!

Lynn

– Anne Lamott

#127291 - 06/07/04 11:14 AM Re: D-Day
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
I don't think the world knew how much they suffered. It seems to me that trauma studies are relatively new. When the Viet Nam vets began speaking up for what they needed, maybe the mass media was finally advanced enough to put their plight in the public eye. I have a feeling that many vets of previous wars suffered terribly in silence. I have always imagined that they felt so very alone in combat, and some could not shed that feeling later.

I have an uncle who was in WWII, and his two oldest sons were both in Viet Nam. They don't tell a lot of stories about war, although I have heard that my uncle did try to help his sons deal with their experiences. I was young enough not to have to go through that. Thank God.

Joe

#127292 - 06/07/04 11:35 AM Re: D-Day
kolisha54 Offline
MaleSurvivor

True - some of the D-Day vets who were interviewed by Bill Moyers did admit that they "suffered in silence" a good part of the rest of their lives.

But I also had the impression that they had a core of inner strength about them - not that I am making a value judgment here - but they didn't seem to descend into the "netherworld" of Symptoms - they were just very very sad & humbled. Maybe it was just a certain code of behavior that was prevalent in those times?

Would love to know how all of "y'all's" family members are doing....

#127293 - 06/07/04 11:43 AM Re: D-Day
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Yes, they suffered. Kolisha, we are drawn toward things like this because it gives us a reason to dissociate some from our own experiences. It helps to make them seem insignificant in comparison under the grand scheme of things. They are not. Please be carefull. The effects of being drawn toward things like the suffering which others have survived from war and other major catastrophies gives us false feelings about ourselves.

#127294 - 06/07/04 11:48 AM Re: D-Day
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Kolisha,

I believe that they do have a core of inner strength. They had to in order to survive.

One thing that I read, and maybe someone who knows what they're talking about (Ken, you listening? Anyone who is a combat vet?) can jump in here, is that having a chance to process the experience in a supportive environment as soon as possible after the trauma may significantly reduce the severity of symptoms for some trauma survivors. I can't really say anything about that from experience except that I believe the long term silence helped me cement some bad ideas and worse habits. But maybe the time at sea travelling home did help. That might indicate that the European vets who did not travel so long with comrades to get home might have been more likely to have had harder times than did the North American fighters who were able to "debrief" on the ride home.

Thanks,

Joe

#127295 - 06/07/04 12:46 PM Re: D-Day
Archnut Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
It makes my PTSD seem a bit of a fraud.

"History is the mother of all the arts subjects"

Archnut
"And all that was left was hope"

#127296 - 06/07/04 01:08 PM Re: D-Day
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
PTSD is not a new disorder. There are written accounts of similar symptoms that go back to ancient times, and there is clear documentation in the historical medical literature starting with the Civil War, when a PTSD-like disorder was known as "Da Costa's Syndrome." There are particularly good de>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.