Newest Members
jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady, uvagrad4
12501 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Jeremy (29), john22 (31), just starting (58)
Who's Online
2 registered (petercorbett, 1 invisible), 10 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12501 Members
74 Forums
64183 Topics
447873 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#127109 - 05/28/04 07:59 PM An addiction to a lifeline?
al Offline

Loc: canada
My best friend suggested it might be good for me to take a break from this site for a little while, suggested 5 days. He and i both agree i've been letting things get to me lately that i shouldn't. I haven't decided yet whether or not to take him up on his advice, but i did realize something during the discussion. I realize i'm addicted to this place and to these people. I know my day isn't complete until i've checked the message boards and poked my head into chat to see how everyone is doing. The idea of taking a break almost makes me panic.... what would i do for 5 days without my friends and family?

Anybody else feel the same? addicted? or can you just take it or leave it as it comes? Maybe i'm being obsessive about it??

Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it. Winston Churchill

#127110 - 05/28/04 08:29 PM Re: An addiction to a lifeline?
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Al I look at it as the best thing, outside of you that ever happened to me. The weekend retreat was a close second. And please write

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#127111 - 05/28/04 08:37 PM Re: An addiction to a lifeline?
Dale English Offline
Newsletter Founder/Producer
MaleSurvivor
Loc: PA
Hey Al,

I too look forward to checking in. When I get triggered by something, I'm trying to remember to step back, not respond, think it through, figure what is making me feel the way I'm feeling and then respond if I think it's appropriate. This is the best laboratory I know for getting my buttons pushed and then having all the support I need to process the stuff. Why would I want a break from that?

Hope you hang in here! See if you can transform reactive into curious. Lots to learn and besides I like your sense of humor!

Taz

#127113 - 05/28/04 09:04 PM Re: An addiction to a lifeline?
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
" I'm Guilty !"

Dave :rolleyes: \:D

#127114 - 05/28/04 10:02 PM Re: An addiction to a lifeline?
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Al,

I guess if it's possible to be addicted, I am. I have had some time off from posting, but not longer than a few days without reading.

Sir David (Ivanhoe) calls this our clubhouse. It's also like a home to me. I can "say" things here that I can't always say in other places, and find that someone will understand what I mean. A lot of times someone understands even better than I did.

My wife has complained about me spending too much time online, so I do try to keep some balance. But right now, for instance, I did not go to SIA last weekend or T this week. There won't be an SIA meeting this weekend, so it's real nice to know I can come here.

If it intereferes with living the way you want to live, I think it's worth trying to take a break to see how that feels. If reading about recovery is not the same as doing it, neither is writing about it.

Thanks,

Joe

#127115 - 05/28/04 10:25 PM Re: An addiction to a lifeline?
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
:rolleyes: Addicted? :rolleyes:

Yeap

#127116 - 05/28/04 11:52 PM Re: An addiction to a lifeline?
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Oh YEAH, I was totally addicted, but it passed.

#127117 - 05/29/04 01:01 AM Re: An addiction to a lifeline?
yesac76 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Idaho
I would not say I am addicted. But, in a way I need this site. It helps me know I am not alone, no matter what is going on in my little world, there is always someone going through a similar situation. And it reminds me I have had it easier than alot of my brothers here. This place is a Godsend!

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.