Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
4 registered (healingheart, 3 invisible), 22 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63541 Topics
443957 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#126982 - 05/18/04 08:11 PM Re: The Best Movies of All Time (In my opinion!)
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
So where are -

Apocolypse Now - never get tired of that.

Dellicatessen. - strange French movie, but very funny.

Paris Texas. - Harry Dean Stanton at his best...

Repo Man - but he was good in this as well.

Blue Velvet. best scary film ever.

and

Withnail and I. - a very British movie, rent it if you can.

Dave

#126983 - 05/18/04 08:46 PM Re: The Best Movies of All Time (In my opinion!)
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
A couple years ago I was the only person on two consecutive projects that I worked to have seen all the Pokemon movies. I stood in the rain waiting for tickets to one while my kids stayed warm and dry trashing our minivan. At least some of the family have sense in their heads, eh? \:D

Thanks,

Joe

#126984 - 05/20/04 03:31 AM Re: The Best Movies of All Time (In my opinion!)
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
'Goodwill Hunting'

'Meet the Parents'

'Pirates of the Caribbean'

'As Good as it gets'

'Dances with wolves'

'Cry freedom'

'12 Monkeys'

'Forrest gump'

'Fight club'

'Groundhog day'

and, I thought the classic, funniest American movie ever was 'Airplane'!! (keep in mind, I felt it best just list my American movie favorites)

Leosha

Oh, and almost forget, 'Shawshank redemption', the most satisfying end scene of any movie ever!

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#126985 - 05/20/04 11:47 AM Re: The Best Movies of All Time (In my opinion!)
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Quote:
Monty Python and the Holy Grail - Got into a debate with Brian Z, but the funniest movie ever!
"We are no longer the knights who say 'Ni.' We are now the knights who say 'Ikky Ikky Ikky Ikky, P'tang Zoopdah blohlfdsjfdslkjn. (Ni!)"

There are a couple of movies that mean something to me even if they are not my all time favorites.

Eye roll please…

A Knight’s Tale

You know, ‘cause it’s about a guy that goes up against the bullies and “Changes the stars” by going from a peasant to royalty. Finding out that one’s self worth should not be based on social status or what other people think, but believing in yourself and not giving up.

Plus it has a good soundtrack. It may be corny listening to Queen during a joust but the directors had a point. If they put in classical music, that is exactly how we would hear it, as classical music. But back then, what we call classical music was the pop music of the day.

The other movie that means something to me is 28 Days.
I watch that movie on the anniversary of my last drink, which just happens to be five years ago last Saturday.

#126986 - 05/20/04 12:28 PM Re: The Best Movies of All Time (In my opinion!)
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Im'e showing my age.

12 Angry Men with Henry Fonda

Cat on a hot tin Roof

Appocalypse now with the only two sane people being Martin Shean and marlon Brando

ET I was truly mesmerized by it.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#126987 - 05/22/04 12:54 PM Re: The Best Movies of All Time (In my opinion!)
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Mike,

You're not showing your age. "12 Angry Men" is a classic and will remain so until the end of history.

Same for "Fail Safe." Scary then, scary now.

A few classics from my vault:

Written on the Wind - Great melodrama. All that was great about late '50s-early '60s film. Overblown, overwrought, overcolored ("In Technocolor!" \:D ), and overacted, despite the excellent cast in it.

Inherit the Wind - in an age when we're debating this stuff still, hard to argue with Spencer Tracy'd character, and hard to feel sympathy for Frederick March.

Judgment at Nuremburg - Not the first trial, but the "judges' trial." Still great and asks the right questions about that age. plus, I STILL have a crush on Marlena Dietrich. Old when I was young, dead now, she's STILL a great woman.

Solaris (the first one) - Great psychological sci-fi. Plus Leo didn't mention a Russian movie, so I had to add at least one. :p \:D

Battleship Potemkin So far ahead of it's time in a lot of the cinematographic arts. Eisenstein was a genious and we're still using the stuff he developed. Another one for you, Leo!

The Maltese Falcon - Humphrey Bogart Rules! 'Nuff said!

Casablanca - Ditto!

And, from the "modern classics" (are they old enough yet?) department, how the HELL could I forget "The Lord of the Rings" cycle? An ambitious attempt at bringing these books to life, and they pulled it off!

Just a few more to add.

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#126988 - 05/22/04 03:40 PM Re: The Best Movies of All Time (In my opinion!)
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
In no particular order, other the the 30's spectaculars first.

Wizard of Oz
Gone with the wind
Frankenstein
Dracula
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Animal Crackers, Duck Soup, etc.
Modern Times
Wuthering Heights
The 39 Steps
Treasure Island
Topper
Swiss Family Robinson
Spartacus
The Thin Man
King Kong
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
All Quiet on the Western Front

Midnight Cowboy
Easy Rider
Joe
The Summer of '42
Lady Jane
Eleni
El Topo
The Little Mermaid
The Lion King
Dumbo
Pieces of April - in stores now. All about life, loss, love and hope.
In America - ditto for everything I said about Pieces of April, but those two girls are real-life sisters and will make you smile for days.
Mystic River
All of Me - outrageous physical comedy, hilarious concept. Steve Martin in top form.
My Blue Heaven - "Have a Nice Day!" - "F*ck You." Hot, Hot, Hot. Hilarious - Steve Martin again - no physical comedy, but a laugh riot.

L.A. Story - One more Steve Martin. Hysterical satire of life in the Fast Lane when NO ONE is driving.

Greetings and Hi Mom ( a two-part story, Brian DePalma's first two movies, DeNiro's first leading roles)
Jean De Floret and Manon of the Spring - another two parter, and two of the most visually beautiful, and human I've ever seen.)

Bachelor Party - some of my fondest memories when watching that movie)

Cry Uncle - Noir reinvented in the '70s., but so satiricly, blantantly funny it makes you squirm.

Bonnie and Clyde - a Love Story for the ages.

Star Wars and Star Trek - the first ones.

Empire of the Sun - Spielberg at his most visually AND emotionally engaging. A pure joy.

Blood Simple - the Coen brothers first film. Gripping crime story. Passion, lust, betrayal, murder.

The Butterfly Effect - could be triggering, but I can't help being fascinated, even awed by the ideas it creates, in spite of itself, regarding memory and trauma and recovery.

The Lion in Winter - Kate Hepburn & Peter O'Toole version.

Sunset Boulevard. Murky-Mega-MeloDrama

Days of Wine and Roses - ouch!

Hud - Oh, so that's lust (PG).

Body Heat - Lust, (R).

The Last Wave - Peter Weir - Other Realities, 101. Try to find a scene without water in it.

Little Buddah - Oneness. You can hear it if you listen.

Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, Signs - M. Night Shyamalan is on a roll and these movies are dense with meaning and emotion. Edgy and curious.

Stuck on You - Funny and touching.

Jackie Brown - Sassy.

House of Sand and Fog - Sad, Sad, Sad, but the Sun still rises every morning.

Run, Lola, Run - Breathless.

American Splendor - Only in America.

The Missing - Scary shit. But Love conquers all. And Girl Power too.

Charlies Angels - Speaking of Girl Power and cute and funny. It's like an amusement park ride.

Wonderland - like watching an accident. Absorbing.

28 Days Later - Fresh take on horror. Kill or be killed. Submit or be killed. Could you, Would you survive?

Owning Mahowny - All about addiction - Gambling in this case.

Melvin Goes to Dinner. - Oops. Did I say that out loud?

Something for Everyone - but winner takes all. You gotta watch out for the quiet ones.

Read my Lips - different, raw, sexy love story.

Heaven - Cate Blanchette. She's amazing. Stars in "The Missing" too. This movie is sad but sweet. A great confusion of deep feelings and emotions. It feels true and liberating. If you think you have nothing to lose, does what you do matter? To anyone? If you desire something, what will you pay or give up for that thing? And what will you take on? Thought-provoking. Very.

Eat, Drink, Man, Woman - Ya gotta eat. Ya gotta live. Ya gotta keep going.

Resurrection - The movie version, with Ellen Burstyn - Love lifts us up where we belong.

Tucker - Vision versus Reality.

Antwone Fisher. - What can I say? Who will cry for the little boy, who cries inside of me?

Cast Away on an Azure Sea... - the original version. In fact, any Lina Wertmueller film, but take care, some are dark and scary.

Talk to Her, All about My Mother, Women of the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, High Heels, Law of Desire, Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down -- all the films of Pedro Almodovar. I always want to know his characters, I always feel like I do.

Spun & Go -(that's two separate titles) What these kids are up to these days.

School of Rock - it just rocks all ways around.

Pump up the Volume - the first half anyway - gritty, realistic moments of coming of age, great sountrack, but the ending goes too hollywood.

American Beauty - this feels like a guilty pleasure, but I'm not sure why. Thought-provoking and maybe a little uncomfortable.

Solaris - Who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes?

Sixteen Candles - goofy, lovable teens becoming who they are.

That's it off the top of my head. Time for a snack now too. I love movies, I could go on and on.

#126989 - 05/22/04 07:55 PM Re: The Best Movies of All Time (In my opinion!)
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I can sit here at my computer and watch TV at the same time - good planning eh ?

John Carpenters 1976 movie classic "Assault on Precinct 13" has just started, and I don't care how many times I've seen it before, I'll watch it again tonight. \:D

Dave

#126990 - 05/24/04 10:53 AM Re: The Best Movies of All Time (In my opinion!)
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Yeah Don!! Animal Crackers!!! I forgot about that one!

Quote:
. …And if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce, it tastes much more like prunes than rhubarb does.

#126991 - 06/06/04 03:01 PM Re: The Best Movies of All Time (In my opinion!)
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
A few more (always with me!)

Lost In Translation - Considering what I do for a living, how could I NOT name this movie? A good study in friendship and culture clashes.

The Terminator (first one) - "He'll hunt you down and kill you. That's what he does! That's ALL he does!!" Michael Biehn deserved a better career.

The other Terminator movies - generated the all time greatest tag line (used in the first, made famous in the other two), "I'll be back." Also, "F**k you, @$$hole."

Seven - Scary.

L.A. Confidential - Good detective story.

"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" - Noticing a Kevin Spacey thread here?

"Police Academy" - Funny. The FIRST one.

"Pitch Black" - Good for an "Alien" ripoff. Plus Vin Diesel rocks! Yes, he does!

"XXX" - I was the ONLY guy in America to love this movie, plus, dare I say it again, Vin Diesel ROCKS!

Enough for now.

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.