Newest Members
Xr2, clt, Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung
12371 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
4 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, Xr2, 2 invisible), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12371 Members
74 Forums
63589 Topics
444235 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126820 - 04/21/04 09:48 PM Need Font advice...
kolisha54 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hey all you Cool Computer Guys! I have fallen in love with ITC Bradley & have it on my laptop but not on my desktop. Both of them have Windows XP... I don't want to have to pay for this silly passion of mine for a bunch of letters (JEEZ!): is there any way I can sneak the font on to my desktop for free???

Sorry to be so dense.

Thanks!!!

#126821 - 04/21/04 10:59 PM Re: Need Font advice...
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

kolisha,
i am a mac man (big surprise, no \:\) ?), but i think it would be possible to achieve this. download/transfer a copy of the font file that you want to your pc then upload that to the pc. you will have to place the font file into your prefs file, or its equivlent. don't savvy the details since it is pc, but i think that should work. let me know. take care.

- It is gift, and gift will find its way
- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy
- I was not given to serve life, but to embrace it

#126822 - 04/21/04 11:57 PM Re: Need Font advice...
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Yes, but I'm not supposed to tell you how if it is subject to copy laws.
\:\(

#126823 - 04/22/04 12:08 AM Re: Need Font advice...
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

not sure about the copyright/license laws, but it is my unprofessional opinion that if the hardware and software are both owned and licensed to the end user, they should be able to interchange pref folders with no illegality. that is just my guess, but it sounds as though you know enough of the area to be authoritative, mike. glad you chimed in. didn't know it would be a legal issue, just thought it was a tech one. take care.

- It is gift, and gift will find its way
- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy
- I was not given to serve life, but to embrace it

#126824 - 04/22/04 02:06 AM Re: Need Font advice...
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Software isn't owned by the end user. We buy the license to use it according to their conditions.

As far as how to get it from one place to the other. I have no idea. I have difficulties switching between the fonts I do have.

Bill

#126825 - 04/22/04 10:09 AM Re: Need Font advice...
kolisha54 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Thanks, y'all! I got a PM from one of our Bro's which explains it all...

I'm gonna try it tonight & see what happens.

SInce I already "own" the license to use the font on my laptop, I don't think there would be an intellectual property issue - hope not!

Thanks again!!!!

#126826 - 04/22/04 10:15 AM Re: Need Font advice...
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Most license agreements allow you to place one installation on one piece of hardware.
\:\(

#126827 - 04/22/04 01:15 PM Re: Need Font advice...
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Kolisha,

Presuming that it is commercial software, something that costs money beyond the expense of making a copy, shipping, etc., there will be a license that states how many machines you are allowed to install, how many backup copies of the original media you are allowed to make, and so on.

Some companies allow installation to multiple machines if not more than one will be used at once. So you can install the same software on the machine at work and at home with one of those licenses. Or one copy on the desktop and one on the laptop. Some even allow multiple installations for private use, so as long as you weren't using the software "to do work" you could have it on both machines with one of that kind of license.

And a lot of companies will sell a license for an additional installation for less than it costs to buy the software with media, manuals, etc a second time.

If you really really want to be on the safe side of the license, call or email the company and tell them what you need to do. They'll tell you what their licensing allows.

You might want to look at http://home.hetnet.nl/~hjg/ where there are lists of sites that offer free fonts. Some of those are shareware and require payment, but many are free. There's a newsgroup specific to computer typography, comp.fonts, (Google groups will show it.) that you can check for more information than you probably ever wanted about fonts, too. That's where I got the link to the free font site list.

Thanks,

Joe

#126828 - 04/22/04 01:23 PM Re: Need Font advice...
kolisha54 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey Guys!!!

Thanks!!!

The VERY last thing I need in my life is more GUILT!!!!

Will be checking all of this out before I do anything reprehensible!

Hugs to all!

#126829 - 04/22/04 01:28 PM Re: Need Font advice...
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
ITC Bradley is a copyrighted commercial font. Not available for free. It is available for about $32. Ouch.
Quote:
The ITC Bradley Hand font was designed by Richard Bradley, the renowned lettering artist and, type designer. (Richard Bradley also designed the font). The ITC Bradley Hand font is not nearly as stately as the font, another R. Bradley font design. Instead, ITC Bradley Hand is a friendly, handwriting font. The ITC Bradley Hand font mimics casual handwriting, yet remains legible and attractive, even at small point sizes. Bradley Hand adds a personal touch to digital copy. ITC Bradley Hand is debatably the most popular handwriting font. Because ITC Bradley Hand fonts have been included with Operating Systems and other applications, many people think there to be a free Bradley Hand font for download. However, Bradley Hand is a commercial font, for download when purchased from ITC or other vendor. The ITC Bradley Hand font family now includes the ITC Bradley Hand regular font, ITC Bradley Hand Italic font and ITC Bradley Hand Bold font
A quick search found this place to purchase, I stopped at the first one found. (the $32 site, it maybe cheaper somewhere else) http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.asp?pid=204627

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.