Newest Members
0128, jeremywickers, JScott12, TMatti2, DaiseyLady
12502 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
asdude1981 (33), Avery46 (51), hans32 (46), jean-noel (49), Kirk (59), Kirk Wayne (59), Mechanical (21), OldTrafford (50)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12502 Members
74 Forums
64192 Topics
447957 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#126779 - 04/25/04 04:51 PM Re: request for a favor over a car project
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Mike
I had a 71 MGB convertible as well, Teal blue with wire wheels and overdrive.
I rebuilt the engine to about 3/4 race tune and that was quick in it's day. Twin Webber's sorted the carb' problems ! ( 20 mpg :rolleyes: )

It was typical 'me' when I bought it though - always an impulse buyer with cars, still am.
I was renovating the cottage we live in now and needed a small truck, so one Saturday I went looking for one, and came back with the MG. \:D

70'S cars are having a huge revival here in the UK amongst young people. The insurance on anything decent for anyone up to 21 is horrendous. But they can get classic car insurance with limited milage far cheaper, so they can buy some decent cars and afford to run them.
A young lad I know has a Truimph Dolomite Sprint - 2 litre twin cam with fuel injection, a top car in the early 70's - and he pays less insurance than a VW Polo 1 litre.

But you really need the clothes as well to get the effect, just think "Starsky & Hutch" - or perhaps not....

Dave

#126780 - 04/25/04 04:56 PM Re: request for a favor over a car project
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

dave,
definitely, NOT! i love the 70's fords, but i recall having to wear some of those "fashions" from then, and i still shudder \:\) . and yes, the quotes did imply it was to be perceived as a cuss word ;\)

- It is gift, and gift will find its way
- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy
- I was not given to serve life, but to embrace it

#126781 - 04/25/04 04:59 PM Re: request for a favor over a car project
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
theo, I've changed cars more than some people change their underwear. I had a 196 V6 4-speed 1979 Chevy Monza 2+2, after trashing 1 motor and 3 4-speeds (reverse drops, speed shifting, slam shifting, etc.) from street racing and beating on it, I put a 327 in it, and converted it over to an automatic. Did you know that if you floor the gas pedal and throw a rear wheel drive car into reverse when doing over 100 all it does is break the rear tires free and try to throw the car into a spin? I also used to stop tailgaters by throwing my car into reverse. I've changed countless numbers of engines and stuff. The Monza was one of my babies, it could even pull wheelies, but it met an unfortunate death. The motor literally twisted the unibody until the windshield broke and the sub frame ripped out of the body. Used to hang out and drink beers in a garage. We were all motor heads. My record engine & tranny change: Pulled car into the garage, pulled engine and tranny, pulled car out of the garage, pulled parts car into the garage, pulled engine and tranny, pulled parts car out of the garage, pulled original car back into the garage, installed engine and tranny, test drove car, 2 people, 2 hours, no air tools. But, since we are talking about 70's cars, nothing beats the Chargers and Challengers.
Now, 4 Wheels = 2 slow.

#126782 - 04/25/04 05:42 PM Re: request for a favor over a car project
theo Offline
MaleSurvivor

mike,
i'll have to look up the monza. i admit, i don't recall hearing of them. i understand the charger and the other though. i prefer fords, but i do not have the rabid fever over the ongoing haggle over the best. however, the kid gloves come off on my girl \:D .
with your experience, i will be picking your brains on the work i will be doing on my 76. one thing i am considering is dropping a big block six into the bay for more torque in the bottom end. don't want a racer, just one that will turn heads as i pass the slowpokes on the highway. take care.

- It is gift, and gift will find its way
- I inherit through my choice. I build through my affirmation. It is through my freedom that I nurture, or fade into autonomy
- I was not given to serve life, but to embrace it

#126783 - 04/25/04 08:13 PM Re: request for a favor over a car project
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
oooohhhhh that lovely Challenger in "Vanishing Point"

NOW we're talking...

Dave

#126784 - 04/25/04 08:29 PM Re: request for a favor over a car project
James_dup1 Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Isnt that what the General Lee was Dont know a lot about old cars, I would perfer to drive a chevy myself, but my "dream" car is 1968 Mustang (We need a drouling face ;\) ). However, if you want to talk cliper ship's now that my passion. \:D .

James

PS: What was VanDesial driving in XXX???? Now that was a pretty car.

#126785 - 04/25/04 08:45 PM Re: request for a favor over a car project
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Depending on which model and which effect kit, the monza looked like various cars. I had more than one, one of the ones that I had was a Monza Spider. Another effect kit made them look like camaros, another made them look like indy cars. They were small, and with a V6 (or larger \:D ) they were fast. They were also throw away cars, use 'em, and get rid of them. There was a group of guys that used to drag too. One guy put a 454 with a blower and Nitrous into a chevy chevette. It was basically direct drive (no drive shaft). Another had a Fiero with a V8 (have to look up the motor, don't remember the exact model) with a 6 pack. Then there were the classics, a Road Runner, a Fury II, a Duster, etc., etc. The guys at the garage had a Chevelle, a T-bird, a LeMans, a El Camino, a Monte Carlo, and few others. I haven't done much of that stuff since the guys went their separate ways and we closed "The Garage".

I believe that the "General Lee" was a challenger and that the Starky and Hutch car was a Charger.

#126786 - 04/27/04 10:15 AM Re: request for a favor over a car project
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
"Car keys and clutch" drove a Torino surely ??

Dave

#126787 - 04/27/04 10:20 AM Re: request for a favor over a car project
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
And the vote for "Totally cool style" ( and ignoring whether it a good car or not ) goes to the 'bat wing' Impala's - especially the El Camino!! and the boat tail Buick La Sabre.

If you could see the shite we had to drive in the UK when you guys had these finned wonders, then you'd see how lucky youb were.
Until you got 'K' cars and Pacers that is !

Dave

#126788 - 04/27/04 10:41 AM Re: request for a favor over a car project
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lloydy:
"Car keys and clutch" drove a Torino surely ??

Dave
I said I wasn't sure. lol
I haven't seen that show since it was originally broadcast. I just remember that it was a similar body style. I think there was a black challenger in Steven Kings "The Dark Half".

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.