Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444538 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126482 - 03/20/04 01:40 PM Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NY
Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!

Ignorance in all of the forms that it takes within society.

It is all of our responsibility to educate them.

I do believe this, and felt that I needed to make it a topic.

#126483 - 03/20/04 01:49 PM Re: Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Amen!

The fact that the "Myths" are STILL believed is appalling and it must be stopped.

I try to educate people when they show their lack of understanding about SA. Mostly of how rape and SA affects men and boys (as a society, we are STILL woefully ignorant of this), but of women and girls (we've come a long way, but there are neanderthals who still need an education here too).

Looking over what I've wrote. Is it always ignorance or willful "looking away" because we don't want to face it?

Anyway, I do this because it helps me, it educates others, and damn it, I'm tired of my shame. I have NO REASON to be ashamed, and it's high f**king time SOCIETY accepts that!

Any ideas on how we can go further with it?

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#126484 - 03/20/04 02:01 PM Re: Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
You're darn right Mike, so much ignorance and misconceptions out there in society. It is really terrible that they still exist within the professional communities of therapists, psychologists, etc. The people that really should know better.

Just for reference:
Myths About Male Sexual Victimization

Ten Facts about Sexual Abuse of Boys and its Aftermath
plus there are plenty more good articles within this site. Check them out.

Bill

#126485 - 03/20/04 02:07 PM Re: Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Quote:
Originally posted by crisispoint:

Any ideas on how we can go further with it?

Scot
Yes. I have quite a few that I am thinking about and working on. It would be premature for me to post any right now. I will discuss them privately on PM if you want.

#126486 - 03/20/04 02:20 PM Re: Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Surely, Mike. I'd love to hear 'em.

PM me when you can.

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#126487 - 03/20/04 04:19 PM Re: Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

#126488 - 03/20/04 09:19 PM Re: Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!
RICK57 Offline

Loc: ENGLAND
Mike - I think you are right that ignorance is the biggest thing that we face.

I now believe that there are two ways to look at this, something I have only recently begun to understand.

1/ Ignorance of others in relation to the subject.

2/ Self ignorance by expecting a certain reaction from others.

The answer in both cases is education:

We can inform others (selectively) of what impact abuse has on an individual (we can only really do this from a personal perspective)in the hope that we can achieve some understanding.

In relation to Self Ignorance, what I mean is, that I always thought that I would receive negative reactions if I told anyone that I had been abused (bloody hell how simple does that sound compared to 32-34 years of self-doubting hell). I am still waiting for the first negative reaction from people that I have told face:face.... I don't know if I have been lucky in this respect, but I sure do feel it!

Best wishes ...Rik (educating myself and others).

#126489 - 03/21/04 02:19 PM Re: Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

This is not a battle of the sexes (any of them). This is about our rights to our own bodies and our own beliefs and the responsibility of EVERYONE to respect those things in each other.

There are many other people who face these exact same obstacles within this society and around the world.

We need to join forces and form a strategic alliance with them and have ALL of our voices heard. It is our responsibility to do this for all of the people who can't or aren't capable of doing it.

These are our friends.
These are our families.
These are our children.
These are our parents in nursing homes.
These are men, women, and children who are suffering.

Here are just a few that I can think of:

The homosexual community.
Men, women, and children who are victums of sexual assault.
The AIDS rights activists.
Rape crisis services and centers.
Related medical communities.

The most powerful political force that I can think of which has not become completely corrupt or narrow minded yet and are willing to listen and change things is college students as proven by actions in the past, we need to get colleges involved. College newspapers. College support groups. College information seminars. A ridiculous amount of sexual assault occurs on college campuses.

I think that there is a way that we can use and take advantage of the press and publicity that is taking place in NY and around the country pertaining to homosexuality and marriage

I would love to see (and participate if I am not in jail) a march on Washington right before the next presidential election of all of the people who are facing the same social ignorances that we are.

I would love to see heterosexual families stand up and support homosexuals.
I would love to see women stand up and support men who have been sexually assaulted.
I would love to see men stand up and support women who have been sexually assaulted.
I would love to see homosexuals stand up and support their beliefs in GOD.
I would love to see the clergy stand up and support the homosexual community.
ETC., ETC., ETC.

ALL OF THESE PEOPLE ARE OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!

When a march of that sort occurs, it needs to be organized and have direct precise goals / demands. We can't go with ridiculously large demands. We need to do it a little at a time.

Govt. funding for education and support should be the first goal.
Required education in schools, and of professionals and the govt. officials (police, district attorneys, judges, etc).

Also, I think that we can try to get the media involved without it being twisted and distorted by the press. The extremely popular TV show Law and Order, Oprah and others like it would be a great place to start.

These are all related topics and issues that need to be addressed by the government and acknowledged by society.

My father, my grandfather, and many of my other relatives have served in the armed forces to protect those rights within this country. I have had a lot of people remind me that it is my responsibility to society to do the same whether it is through serving in the military, or by making a difference by helping to change what is wrong with our society. Every day, I am constantly being reminded of all of the rights that all of us do not have due to ignorance. Every day, I educate other people about those rights. All of our individual efforts are not enough. It isn't working. We need to unite.

With unity comes strength. I think that they will appreciate the help as much as we will.

#126490 - 03/21/04 08:10 PM Re: Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!
Thomas Offline

Loc: boise
Mike,

I agree that ignorance is the BIG problem. I have just recently run into that myself. I am in the process of changing from my therapist of the last two years (I finish the rehab program I've been in for the last three years at the end of this month) to a therapist in an affiliated program that deals with specifically physical and sexual abuse survivors. I was talking to a colleague at work about the change in my program. Said person has earned my trust by being supportive without judgment in some other matters (we both grew in alcoholic homes). This person remarked that some people say that it is simply enough to acknowledge that the abuse happened and get on with life.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that this is not true. I think that this qualifies as the Myth #4: "Boys are less traumatized than girls." The incest when I was two interferes with me today. As long as I cannot engage in healthy self-care, as long as I cannot pursue a happy, productive life for myself, I am still in need of healing. I await with anticipation your further ideas.

Tom

#126491 - 03/22/04 08:22 AM Re: Ignorance!!!!! That is the biggest thing that we are all fighting here!!!!!
MikeNY Offline
MaleSurvivor

We all have to do this together. The time to start is now.

It is time to let George W. Bush know that the educated public will not stand for his CRUSADES AGAINST America and everything that it stands for, FREEDOM. It's time to make him know that if he doesn't listen to our demands and start to act on them, he WILL be replaced by someone that will. It is time to educate the people who do not know any better. WHAT IS GOING ON IN WASHINGTON IS COMPARABLE TO WHAT WENT ON THAT BROUGHT US HERE. It is probably worse, because it will send more people here, and keep many more hiding in the shadows in pain.

George, I respect your right to believe what you want to, but you took an oath to SERVE the ENTIRE American population, not just the people whom you consider citizens.

Please start looking for and contacting colleges and the organizations that are related to the ones that I have mentioned above. I think that listing the organizations here would be a good idea too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.