Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63234 Topics
442181 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126378 - 03/10/04 06:21 PM i need some advice...
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
hey guys,

i need your thoughts on this,i got a call this morning from someone lookin for translator (im a sign language translator),for a court case,it is usually not a problem,,but this case is a child sex abuse case,the victim is a deaf boy and a translator is needed to translate his statement to the police, i dont know what to do ,part of me says "do it,your helping the kid to talk about it" then another part of me is sayin " no,it will hurt you to hear what he says it will bring back your memories"....

im really lost guys... what should i do...

Go raibh míle maith agaibh as bhur gcúnamh!
^^(Thank you very much for your help!)^^

#126379 - 03/10/04 07:12 PM Re: i need some advice...
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Wow Irish,

That is a tough decission to make. I don't think that I can say one way or the other.

Doing it could be very hard on you. Bringing memories and feelings of the SA upfront. It definately would take a great deal of strength on your part and could be very rewarding. I don't know if I could handle it, definately could not have handled it a year ago, for that matter three weeks ago. Maybe I could this week (ignoring the fact I can't sign), these last two weeks have been very good.

Then, not doing it could bring feelings of regret and abandonment.

The most important thing is to keep yourself safe, in a safe place emothionally. There must be other another translator available. The choice wiether you accept this assignment is entirely up to you and what you can handle.

I wish you the best. No matter which way you go, you are a winner.

Take care,
Bill

#126380 - 03/10/04 08:24 PM Re: i need some advice...
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
I don't thik I could do it if he is still a kid--otherwise, I THINK I could handle it. Still, I have kids tell me their stories a couple of times a year--it hurts but I make it through it.

You know yourself best. If you think you could do it, you could undeerstand the kid better than anyone else.

Bob

#126381 - 03/11/04 12:31 AM Re: i need some advice...
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Hey Irish - I agree with the guys that you are the best judge! You are recovering from some very significant trauma. You need to help yourself first. If you can do that while helping the deaf lad, you have your answer. If not, you might try getting another translater you know does not have an abused background. Good Luck!

Howard

#126382 - 03/11/04 01:47 AM Re: i need some advice...
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
Just tell the court you have a conflict of interest.

#126383 - 03/11/04 09:48 AM Re: i need some advice...
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Brother,

I can't say what is right for you. You're the only judge of that. If I can hazard a guess, you SEEM to be leaning toward not doing it because you might be too fragile emotionally and mentally.

If you have those kinds of doubts, I wouldn't do it. If there's someone else you know who can (another transaltor you trust and know they are understanding, compassionate, etc.), I would refer the case to them. Brian said it best, it may be a conflict of interest and that's all you have to say.

It takes courage to say "yes" in a hard situation. It sometimes takes even more courage to say "no."

Sometimes we lack THAT kind of courage.

No matter what, you're a good man, a strong man, and an asset. Never forget that, no matter what you do in this situation.

I'm thinking about you, bro. I care.

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#126384 - 03/11/04 05:54 PM Re: i need some advice...
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

hey guys,

first off,,thank you all so much for your help and advice you have all been so nice to me since i arrived,thank you,

i came to a decision on my problem with the help from a fellow survivor id like to thank him for his help.

well, you all read above of the problem i was havin,and i feel i made the best descision for myself i dedcided in the end that i would accept the job, i feel that in acceptin this job it will help me to deal with my own problems,not only from the point of veiw that i am givin this deaf boy a voice of experiance,but also that if the case is succesful and this abuser go's down i will know i had a small part to play in it and that would be the best feelin for me...

i spoke with the boys socail worker today and i explained my situation and she said "once you are able and feel strong enough to do this job,then you will be a great benifit to this boy"...

so i have an appointment tomorrow with the socail worker to go over the story and i am prayin i will be strong enough..
i will keep you guys posted....

Go raibh míle maith agaibh as bhur gcúnamh!

#126385 - 03/12/04 02:21 PM Re: i need some advice...
irishguy Offline
MaleSurvivor

hey roland,

thanks for your support,i hopefully made the right desciseion. i will have a chance before the court case to speak with boy before any questions are asked so that might be little help, im prayin that everything go's ok for me and the boy,,

oh and your qoute at the end of your post,
never have i heard a truer word.

thanks to you all,you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

#126386 - 03/12/04 08:36 PM Re: i need some advice...
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Irishguy,

This is certainly an exciting string. I know that you guys have caught all of the allegorical stuff included but I just have to point out the obvious.
Mr. Irishguy, you have taken on, taking the voice for a deaf boy. My God, you’re giving all of us, “deaf boys,” a voice.
There is a message in this for all of us. We need to speak up for ourselves; we need to speak out for others of us who are too young, too frightened, or too infirm. We need to speak out for those boys who were harmed last night, for those boys who will be harmed tonight, for those of us who will be abused tomorrow night.
Thank you, IG, for allowing us into a part of your life that is so significant for us all.
If anyone asks what you do, tell them that you are a speaker for those of us who don’t have a voice.
You have my profoundest respect, and if you get the chance, tell that young man who you’re helping that we think that he is brave and that we’re proud of him.
Ya, and what you’re doing is brave and we’re SO proud of YOU.

An admirer and friend,

David

#126387 - 03/12/04 11:04 PM Re: i need some advice...
TwinBrother Offline

Loc: USA
Hello, Irishguy

I warmly congratulate you in your unselfish decision to assist a fellow sufferer.

My only regret is, not being able to help in some way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.