Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
3 registered (petercorbett, Obi, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443341 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#126116 - 02/03/04 10:26 PM Re: Thought for the Day - Mangled translations
FlyWM Offline

Loc: Michigan
This is great, I really needed a smile today, and this certainly gave me a couple, thank you all. I am glad we have some light-hearted happy posts up as well, thank you all again.

scott

Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible in not a declaration, it's a dare.

--Adidas

#126117 - 02/04/04 10:19 AM Re: Thought for the Day - Mangled translations
Pollyanna Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
Smile? I'm past smiling...past laughing...I'm crying!!!

Now my 16 year old daughter reeeeally wants a shirt that says "I saw the potato"!!!!

\:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D \:D

Thanks!

Lynn

Anne Lamott

#126118 - 02/05/04 11:16 PM Re: Thought for the Day - Mangled translations
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
I have made so many, my own manglations! (Ha)

(Possible trigger)
I think worse one, when I still was competitive athlete, I was at a competition, and had won two competitions before this one, so I suppose was some kind of 'favorite' for the moment. So a press person is talking to some of us, and he ask me if I feel it will be tough competition, or will I just 'blow everyone away' (ha, yes, like that ever was possibility!) And I have been speaking English for maybe two years then, but not knowing much of the 'slang', of course. And I was wishing to answer question, so I said no, I do not think it ever is easy competition for me, and I think that it's possible that anyone could blow anyone else! (And behind him, an American friend is saying, 'Away, Leosha, you mean away!!' and laughing hysterically!) Oh yes, and other most embarassing one I think, is to not know that the word 'quiche' is NOT pronounced 'quicky', and ordering a 'quicky' in a restaurant (and getting nasty look from waitress, as she stalk away).
That is enough. I am sure if Andrei were here, he could provide more examples!

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#126119 - 02/05/04 11:50 PM Re: Thought for the Day - Mangled translations
Pollyanna Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
\:D \:D \:D \:D

You guys are killin' me!

I'm addicted to this thread now!

Anne Lamott

#126120 - 02/07/04 10:19 AM Re: Thought for the Day - Mangled translations
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Leo, just a thought, perhaps you should have someone prepare your statements to the press AHEAD of time!

Hey, everyone in sports here talks in cliches anyway, so you'll be okay, no matter WHAT pre-written answer you give them.

Example -

Reporter: So, if your team doesn't perform well on points and it comes down to a tiebreaker, do you think your side can pull it off in the clutch?

You: In the end, it's now winning or losing, but how we carry ourselves as athletes. It's a thrill just for us to make it so far and there's no shame in losing to a better team. However, since we all give 200 percent, I'm more than certain that we'll overcome the odds and pull out a win. Let me just say that I congratulate and respect our opponents and we look forward to facing them for the championship, no matter who winds up as a finalist.

The humor here is that EVERY coach, manager, whatever, for ANY competative sport uses ALL of these at some point!

So, where's my check for writing your press speech? \:D

Peace and love,

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#126121 - 02/08/04 06:09 PM Re: Thought for the Day - Mangled translations
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

I think also, Chevrolet have problem when they try to market their car 'Nova' in Mexico. They have hard time, and it not sell so much, and finally they have to stop sell it down there. And it is only some time later that they learn that 'no va' in Spanish, means 'It doesn't go!'

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#126122 - 02/09/04 05:50 PM Re: Thought for the Day - Mangled translations
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

The truth is, Leo, I use this story with my more advanced English students as a reminder that cultural/language awareness is JUST as important as knowing what you WANT to say.

Still, nice to see we share (again! \:D ) a lot of sensabilities.

Peace and love,

Scot

#126123 - 02/09/04 06:03 PM Re: Thought for the Day - Mangled translations
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Speaking of cultural awareness, this isn't a language mismanagement as much as a cultural warning: Be aware of the culture when you're giving gifts. What YOU think is being nice, can be taken as an affront, or at the very least, another example of an "idiot American !"

Examples -

A business executive was leading a team-building exercise with his Indian coworkers in New Delhi. As a gift, he placed pictures of the teams in nice, expensive leather frames and gave them to his colleagues, who were horrified at the gesture. (The cow is considered Sacred in the Hindu faith)

A fellow in Japan was looking for an appropriate gift for a boss' relative who was getting married. His gift of expensive kitchen cutlery was accepted with uncomfortable silence, especially from his boss. (Giving anything that can cut, like knives or scissors, as a gift is considered a symbolic "cutting off," or ending, of a relationship)

Speaking of Japan, I was invited to a dinner by some Japanese students and they took me to a very nice resturant (this was when I was just starting out as an ESOL instructor). Things were a little rushed between courses, and the entree was served just after the rice. In order to clear my area, I stuck my chopsticks into my bowl of rice so that they were pointing straight up and down. After (yet another!) uncomfortable silence, my students explained that this was NEVER done at the dining table, as this WAS done at Shinto/Buddhist funerals right after cremation of the dearly departed. I didn't ask for details, and they, thankfully didn't offer any!

In Korea, an American business manager wrote up the name cards for people attending his meeting, using a red pen. The Korean attendees were stunned and only mentioned at the break that writing a person's name in red ink was only done at funerals, and only for the newly deceased. (Brings a whole new meaning to the term, "I killed them at the meeting!" \:D )

Just remember, brothers and sisters, mind your manners, no matter WHERE or WHO you visit! \:D

Peace and love,

Scot

#126124 - 04/24/04 06:51 PM Re: Thought for the Day - Mangled translations
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Actual Chinese Movie Subtitles
1. Same old rules: no eyes, no groin.

2. Gun wounds again?

3. Fatty, you with your thick face have hurt my instep.

4. A normal person wouldn't steal pituitaries.

5. The bullets inside are very hot. Why do I feel so cold?

6. Take my advice, or I'll spank you without pants.

7. Who gave you the nerve to get killed here?

8. I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!

9. You always use violence. I should've ordered glutinous rice chicken.

10.Beat him out of recognizable shape!

11. I got knife scars more than the number of your leg's hair!

12. Beware! Your bones are going to be disconnected.

13. How can you use my intestines as a gift?

I wish i know what these were translated from, but I am sure they are not correct!

leosha

#126125 - 08/08/04 08:50 AM Re: Thought for the Day - Mangled translations
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

I wanted to add something to this thread. I was talking with another person in the chat room tonight, and somehow this came up. It is not a mangled translation, but rather a practical joke played on a non-English speaking person (being myself).

Of course, this only happened once. But while walking around in a city with several friends, one who speak both English and Russian, the other two who speak only English, I was given the opportunity to ask my first question in English, namely, what direction is the hotel. My friend told me the proper pronounciation of the words in English, and I was quite proud to be able to be the one to ask this momentous question, even though I would not have understood the answer. But still, it is exciting.

So I go up to this well-dressed older lady, smile, and lay the phrase on her:

Hey pretty lady, how much you charge an hour?

Just a thought for a joke to play on your non-English speaking friends! Just keep in mind, you will only get the enjoyment out of this joke ONCE!

Leosha

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.