Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4gettingthepast4 (32), DougL (53), Jeff38 (48), lfp (27), pats121 (75), Texan (57), zer0sleep (35)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, 1 invisible), 22 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#125854 - 01/03/04 11:16 AM Zoloft question
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

I started taking Zoloft about 4 weeks ago. It was a starter pack with 25mg for 2 weeks, and 50mg for the next four. But me and my therapist realized I needed more and I added 25mg to the regimen. Wow, what a differencee!

I did this because she says I need to be grounded before we can dig into the crap of my past. The reasoning is that if I don't know where here and now are (and thus feel unsafe), how can I venture into memories that are so painful? I need to be able to return to the present--where I am not being threatened. And so we are trying to find my antidepressant level that works.

How much do some of you take? What kind of changes have you felt?

Alfred

#125855 - 01/05/04 10:13 AM Re: Zoloft question
MrDon Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Deltona, FL
I don't currently take zoloft but I did at one time. At the time I went on it, I was actively looking for ways to end my life and I mean actively looking for little ways during the day. I had no desire to live at all. So when I began therapy, we had to address this situation before I could really get into the meat of what was going on.

I think I started out on 50 mg of Zoloft and than 30 days later, went to 100 mg but can't remember for sure. I know that if you start out to high and to quick, it can cause problems with stomach etc. If I remember correctly, I think there was something about waiting at least two weeks before changing the dosage, but don't quote me on this because I just can't remember now. Zoloft does take some time to build up in your system and really start working which is probably closer to 3 or 4 weeks. That was hard for me to wait for the effect of it, but once it was effective, wow, it saved my life.

For me, I have a very sensitive stomach and so I often had to make sure I took it with a lot of food or with antiacids. If I was careful how I took it, than the stomach stuff was pretty minor. Another thing it did for me which I hated but at the time was a blessing in disguise was the sexual stuff. I could get an errection, but would take hours to do anything with it and often I would just give up. Of course at the time, I was dealing with the sexual things where I couldn't hardly stop and so zoloft helped me in many ways with this.

It has been a few years now since I was on it but I've used it two different times and it was very effective both times for me. Of course the sexual side effects would be hard to take now for me. Think I stayed on it for over a year before I went off of it. And I am alive today because of zoloft.

Hope this helps. Do a search on zoloft on like google.com because there should be a lot of information out there. I always try to do my own research when I am taking medications so I am just as informed as I can be. I don't always trust our medical system to know everything they need to know about various medications and treatments.

Don

The Mind Body Thoughts Blog
http://mindbodythoughts.blogspot.com/

Check out my relaxing piano music from the heart!
http://www.donshetterly.com

#125856 - 01/05/04 10:37 AM Re: Zoloft question
LadyTheo Offline

Loc: ky
I am currently taking Zoloft, and it has done wonders for me \:D I am taking 300mg a day, which is the maximum dosage. But from what I understand, the majority of people who take it are on 100-200 mgs daily. And as Don said, it does take up to six weeks for it to reach it's maximum effectiveness. And like Don, Zoloft has safed my life \:\)
Hope this info helps and good luck on it
LadyTheo

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.