Newest Members
DougieB, sethpeterson, R Ellis, SailingAway, Kitty6
12320 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Healer (53), Kilo (21), sdsjr (40), surfdude (57)
Who's Online
6 registered (finallyhere, Dave PNW, Bluedogone, 3 invisible), 19 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12320 Members
74 Forums
63375 Topics
443150 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#125831 - 12/14/03 06:47 AM suff and junk
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
I have a really bad case of diarrhea of the word processor, to borrow a phrase from Stephen King. At the same time I have a terrible case of writers block. A condition for witch there is no cure except to just keep poring words out until you’re over the hump. Luckily I can do that right now.

One problem is my most basic rule of writing. That rule is I never under any circumstances change the first paragraph. I have no problem ignoring every other literary rule, like spelling and grammar. And beginning a sentence with and. And the way I over use the comma, some people find it really annoying, and tell me so, a’lot. Then there is a’lot, in my opinion a’lot is one word, so that is how I use it. I break other rules as well not just related to grammar too. More then once I’ve killed off a character or in some other way gotten rid of him only to have him show up a page or two later. But I never change the first paragraph.

This is my reason. Let’s say you are in St. Louis and you hop on a train to Los Angeles. That train stops in other places, and you can get off the train at any of those stops. But you can’t take that train to New York. If you want to go to New York you need to get off that train and get on another one. It's the same with story telling. You can’t have “Hansel and Gretel” being taken in to the woods by their father only to have them wind up at a gelato stand on the Santa Monica Pier. If you are going to take leaps like that then you should begin your story with “Dear Penthouse.”

I just finished a manu>

#125832 - 12/14/03 04:23 PM Re: suff and junk
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Brian
when I write I save EVERY version so I can go back to it. Sometimes - many times - the first stream of thought is the best one.
Which is why I think your first paragraph is is so important to keep.

Sometimes I just sit here and write things that seem unconnected to anything I'm working at, but I save it, just incase it comes in handy sometime.

It's a great medium writing, I enjoy the process of being able to pause and think about what I actually mean and want to say without the pressure of having to be quick, as you do in a conversation.

dave

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.