Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Avyi (49), cross29min (59), Dartel (50), ernie (70), flightmedic38 (40), jggab (42), kev (66)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63568 Topics
444128 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#125611 - 03/26/06 10:02 AM Re: Leprechaun Name
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Alexey,

I take your point and thanks for sharing it. I would just suggest a different way of looking at it, if I may.

I think there is a huge temptation for us to come here and see ourselves only as survivors. There is an overload of information and discussion all the time, and it is easy to come away from the site feeling that we are defined by the abuse inflicted upon us as kids.

I think that's a trend that needs to be resisted. For example, you are a young man in Russia with all sorts of intellectual aspirations and ideas that are part of who you are: this is "Alexey". The abuse is NOT part of you; it was a crime committed against you by someone else. In time the ability of your abuse experiences to hurt and harm you will be reduced, but all that is truly "Alexey" will remain. When we look for "Alexey" here, that is what we are searching for.

It's of course vital that the site stay topical and focused on recovery issues, but I think the light-hearted threads are a contribution to that. These allow us to "be" and "show" who we are just as ordinary people.

In a way it reminds me of earlier this week when I visited a guy from this site up in Shropshire. We spent a wonderful day together walking around his village, sipping coffee, enjoying a meal in a local pub, but mainly chatting, laughing, groaning, bitching, whatever, about a million things: not just abuse issues, but the affairs of ordinary life. We got to appreciate and understand each other a bit more as friends, and it was especially useful to me since he is a lot further down the road of recovery than I am. I enabled me to see that yes, it is possible to do this. Here is a living example of someone who has really reclaimed his life.

We can't do that with everyone, of course, but I do think the lighter threads help us as survivors.

Just some thoughts.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#125612 - 03/26/06 06:50 PM Re: Leprechaun Name
johnsurvived Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arlington, Virginia
Alexey,

I'd like to echo/second what Larry's written above. Here in a forum that is specifically designated as "Off Topic," I think there's meant to be more room to post things that could seem silly or frivolous, or even plain callous, in an on-topic forum. And, since Larry's brought in the subject of Shropshire, I'd like to pledge you, with some words from A.E. Housman, that if you're here at MS to do work, I'll be here to work with you:
Quote:
A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad. 1896.

XXIV. Say, lad, have you things to do

SAY, lad, have you things to do?
Quick then, while your day’s at prime
Quick, and if ’tis work for two,
Here am I, man: now’s your time

Send me now, and I shall go; 5
Call me, I shall hear you call;
Use me ere they lay me low
Where a man’s no use at all;

Ere the wholesome flesh decay,
And the willing nerve be numb, 10
And the lips lack breath to say,
‘No, my lad, I cannot come.’

John

Take for us the foxes, the little foxes that spoil the vineyards; for our vines have tender grapes. Song of Solomon 2:15

But let justice roll down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. Amos 5:24

#125613 - 03/27/06 10:19 PM Re: Leprechaun Name
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
John,

I hope your dinner went well and that everyone enjoyed their newly assigned names. I also hope that Itty Bitty Blinky O'Boy found as much humor in his name as you did. *lol*

Alexey,

The last thing in the world I would want to do is offend anyone or hurt them. This entire site is built to recognize that different people have different needs and different things they may want to talk about at any given time. This particular forum of "Off Topic" is pretty wide open to discussions of many things, including absolute sillyness which I sometimes can't resist sharing.

Please be assured that I meant no harm. I just wanted to share something that made me laugh in the hope of doing the same for someone else.

ROCK ON..........Trish

#125614 - 03/28/06 03:34 PM Re: Leprechaun Name
alexey Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Moscow, Russia
Dear Trish,

As long as I can't understand the full meaning of these names, I was only saying about why I was dwarf or elf. However, the truth is that I myself replied in these threads, so it's really my will to have done that. I'm sorry for my words.

By the way when I was 8 I read "The Hobbit" by Tolkien, and it was one of the brightest impressions of my childhood as I was living the life of Bilbo. ;\)

Alexey

(")_(")
--------
When you feel all alone and unhappy, turn to you Inner Child and talk to Him.
You will see He can comfort you like nothing else!

#125615 - 03/28/06 04:07 PM Re: Leprechaun Name
Trish4850 Offline
BoD Liaison Emeritus
MaleSurvivor<

Loc: New Jersey
Alexey,

You have nothing to be sorry about. But please, don't ever try to analyze or understand nonsense, which is all this is, because it will drive you crazy! \:\)

I read The Hobbit too! I loved the fantasy world of strange creatures it transported me to. I actually went out and bought it for myself about 3 years ago and read it again. Guess what? Still lovin' it!

ROCK ON........Trish

#125616 - 03/28/06 10:51 PM Re: Leprechaun Name
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Alexey,

We all need to play and be crazy sometimes. That is part of our humanity. Don't hesitate to let go and be part of it, as and when you can.

You have nothing to apologize for.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.