Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
2 registered (finallyhere, Steve J), 26 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443465 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#125443 - 10/25/03 10:06 PM Just need to vent something
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
I just got into an agument with my mother about my wake. She want a sad somber event with every one in black. I want a real Irish wake like my grandfather had. But I want a live band or a good JD and an open bar. It's my wake, what is so wrong with having my way on this. My enemies will celebrate my passing, why not my friends too. I am so sick of this. This is my life, why is eveything a battle. I'm going to get what I want one way or another, why does there have to a pointless fight about everything.

Thanks, I feel better.

#125444 - 10/26/03 01:08 PM Re: Just need to vent something
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Brian
My wife Linda's family are from Kerry in Southern Ireland, and we've spent a lot of time there over the years with some of the loveliest people I've had the privilege of meeting, and saying "goodbye" to as well. I've been to some olympic wakes over there.

And there's nothing finer than celebrating someones life by getting drunk and telling funny stories about them.

It's a lot like coming here, we dont want to be here, but if we have to be then at least have some fun !

I hope it's a long way off Brian, for us both, but I've already told everyone that when I turn my toes up I'm claiming "Honorary Irish Nationality"

Take care.

Dave

#125445 - 10/26/03 08:54 PM Re: Just need to vent something
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Seems to me that your wake should reflect your wishes. If you are committed to a good time, it should be your call, in my opinion. However, I hope that it will not be for any time soon. Best of health to you.

#125446 - 10/27/03 05:20 AM Re: Just need to vent something
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
This is me being sucked into her fight with her sisters. I think she is going to respect my wishes.

#125447 - 10/27/03 09:28 AM Re: Just need to vent something
crisispoint Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Massachusetts
Brian, I hope the need for this is a way's off. I'd miss you, bro!

As for what kind of wake I want, Irish is the way to go, and I hope to heck they have it where I'm laid out. Just stick a Guinness in my hand and I'm ready to face eternity. Besides, I can use that wonderful product to bribe St. Peter to let me in!

Love you, my brother. I hope you stay with us a long, long time.

Peace (and health (Sailte! (Gaelic sp?)))!

Scot

fromacuriousmind.blogspot.com
malehurtandsurvive.blogspot.com

#125448 - 10/27/03 02:45 PM Re: Just need to vent something
Stephen_5 Offline
BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Northern California Foothills
Brian,

Celebrating someone's life when they leave us is a very healing excercise. It's not for the dead it's for the ones who live on. Being able to talk and laugh and share our feelings about the one who's gone keeps them alive in our memories and makes their passing less painful.

I know from your posts that you're having a hard time of it. But I for one am better for having known you if only through this board. I'll celebrate your life along with all of your brothers here.

Take good care of yourself,

Steve

#125449 - 10/27/03 03:39 PM Re: Just need to vent something
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Brian,

Like the others I'm hoping that you don't have to have a wake too soon, but it should of course be your way.

Scott,

Quote:
Peace (and health
I can help with that. I speak Irish at home with the kids and many of my journal entries are as Gaeilge.

Síocháin 's sláinte, or more traditionally,
Sláinte 's fad saol agat! (Health and long life to you (singular)!)

Go raibh maith agat,

Seosamh

#125450 - 10/28/03 08:52 PM Re: Just need to vent something
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Brian, your Mom is just speaking from the heart of a mother that feels it is wrong for a child to precede the parents in death.

It is good for any of us to make our wishes known. I have it down to the songs I want played, who I want for pall bearers etc.

Is there anything any of us can do to help make this time better for you? I sure think it is awful to face terminal illness alone or nearly so. Let us know.

Bob

#125451 - 10/29/03 07:06 AM Re: Just need to vent something
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
I am not so sure what you speak of, but am hoping that your death does not occur any time soon. I hope that you are not ill, and that you are able to keep yourself safe. I wish you well.

leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.