Newest Members
The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101, JCEldrid
12286 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
1 registered (Seekingwisdom), 34 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12286 Members
73 Forums
63203 Topics
441951 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#125362 - 05/26/06 04:24 PM Re: Chat room courtesy
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

i wonder if anyone realizes that there are people here who are hurt by the constant bad impressions given of the chat room ,those who run it are proud of the job they do as they should be .its not just something they do once a week its something that they feel very strongly about ,i have been in chat almost every night for the last 8 months,and have yet to see any of the things described ,maybe chat used to be that way but its not anymore,or maybe i just been lucky to not see this kind of stuff. i dont want to start a war here but think about the ones who put their hearts into keeping the chatroom open for all of us ,its getting a bad rep and it does not deserve it . shadow

#125363 - 05/26/06 11:10 PM Re: Chat room courtesy
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
Shadowkid,

I am very glad that you have been fortunate enough to never have such experiences in the chat room. However, this thread is not at all the first time the issues of chat have been discussed, and it won't be the last, I'm sure. Because people are people, and some people just don't belong here. I have a great deal of respect for anyone who works here as a moderater, whether on the discussion board or in chat. I am fairly good friends with some of them. They are not paid, they are volunteer, and they dedicate a great deal of their lives to keeping this site running and keeping it safe.

But, imagine the kind of person who WANTS to cause problems here, and there are these people, both in the past and I think now. They are not stupid. They will wait until the chat is unmoderated. They will do their verbal abuse and bullying, and assume (often correctly, I think) that people who have been abused in the past will not speak up for themselves or report that behavior. What kind of perverse thrill a person like that gets, I don't know, but they are a pathetic creature. I am glad it's been good for you for 8 months. I've been at this site for about 3 years now, and I have seen a lot of good, and some bad, 'go down' both on the boards and in chat, from some losers with no lives.

In case you hadn't read what I posted, this was something that happened in chat NOT a long time ago, but last night. I know of someone else who reported certain behavior not long ago, and heard of another person who either did or was going to. This is in recent weeks, not 'long ago'. It DOES still happen. If you haven't experienced it, well, lucky you. But you have been posting a lot in this thread, implying that people who choose to NOT go to the chat room haven't given it a chance, or are basing their thoughts on things that happened there long ago. What you are assuming is not necessarily the case, and isn't with me for certain.

I appreciate that you are concerned that people who do dedicate their time in there are being 'slighted' in any way. As I said, I have full respect for all the moderating staff here. But all of those good people can not make this a perfect place, because no such place exists. Sh*t happens, even here. Sticking one's head in the sand doesn't work.

I don't think that the chat room is getting a 'bad rep'. But it's not all sunshine, rainbows, friends and family in there. Just as it isn't here. Here, however, is a bit more controlled, because a toxic post could be reported right away and disappear before it has the chance to negatively affect more people. With chat being spontaneous, what is said is out there, and can't be unsaid. That is just how it is with human beings. And everyone has the right to their opinions, even if others do not agree with them.

I think the initial post here was just requesting a certain level of respect and courtesy among people in the main room. Surely there is nothing wrong with that.

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#125364 - 05/28/06 02:26 AM Re: Chat room courtesy
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Adam,

I admire your dedication to the chat room. Not only do I admire it I appreciate it. The few times I've been there when you were, it seemed a better place because of your presence.

I've had no really bad experiences there, but know of others who have. Because of those bad experiences I understand what you, Leosha, are saying. I know it happens, and it can be quite intimidating and damaging to some who are not in as good a place as others of us.

What I would say in regards to this is for each of us to

1) appreciate the moderators who work so hard to make chat safe, and to tell them so on occasion when we see them in there.

2) report any inappropriate activity that we encounter there to a moderator giving the user name of the individual/s in question and the approximate time/time zone when it occurred so that the mods can go back through the chat logs if necessary to the event in question and take appropriate action.

3) make sure our own activity in chat is appropriate at all times no matter who else is in the room.

I guess what I'm saying is that we each have a part to play in keeping this site safe for everyone to use. Let's do our best to keep it the place it's intended to be.

Lots of love,

John

#354732 - 02/24/11 07:30 PM Re: Chat room courtesy [Re: Leosha]
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
well as always interesting words from the past

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.