My psychologist had me write "my life story" some time ago. I ended each little "episode" with "and that's all I'm going to write about that."
Here's the best I can do on such short notice. (Can you believe that my kids prefer someone else's cooking?
- 1 cup NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons ORTEGA® Diced Jalapeños
- 3 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 (1 ounce) packets NESTLE® TOLL HOUSE® Choco Bake Unsweetened Chocolate Flavor
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sliced almonds
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F. In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate morsels, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm.
- BEAT granulated sugar, butter and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl. Add eggs; beat for 1 minute. Beat in melted morsels. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in medium bowl; beat into chocolate mixture alternately with milk. Stir in jalapeños. Pour into two well-greased 9-inch-round baking pans or one 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- BAKE for 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan(s) for 20 minutes; invert onto wire rack(s) to cool completely.
- BEAT powdered sugar, milk, butter, chocolate flavor, vanilla extract and salt in small mixer bowl until mixture is smooth and creamy. Frost cake. Decorate sides with nuts.
Makes 12 servings. Go to the original at cakerecipe.com
if you want to feed a larger crowd.
"Telemachos, your guest is no discredit to you. I wasted no time in stringing the bow, and I did not miss the mark. My strength is yet unbroken…"—The Odyssey, translated by W.H.D. Rouse