Newest Members
PaulnMA, andrewmartin, Aurigny, Luther, LuckyCharm
12252 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
closerthenveins (26), Nvolpicelli (24), Sven (19)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 29 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12252 Members
73 Forums
63113 Topics
441362 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#125098 - 08/14/03 05:45 PM A thought to ponder . . .
LovingPartner Offline

I was checking my email today, and saw this, the "Food for thought" quote of the day from Buddha Net.

Physical happiness is not that hard to come by, but spiritual happiness is difficult to attain. Physical happiness is easy to see and know, but spiritual happiness is more elusive. Still, there are few people who accept these truths, because they believe that when the physical body is happy, the mind automatically becomes happy, too - and they are convinced that there is no other happiness to be found elsewhere.

What do you think?
LP

#125099 - 08/15/03 04:19 PM Re: A thought to ponder . . .
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
LP,

I get hung up on words very easily, like a toddler's tricycle in a snow drift.

"Physical happiness" seems insufficiently precise, almost a contradiction in terms, to me. Happiness isn't physical, or maybe I live in my head too much. Physical safety, contentment, etc. are possible. I think some people might pursue more and more extravagent solutions to meeting physical needs all the while believing that they pursue "happiness." I've done things like that.

I'm not sure that spiritual happiness is in the mind, either. I could drive myself crazy trying to apply my mind to spiritual concerns. Why am I here? Or, to borrow an idea from one of your earlier posts, why did he abuse me? Why haven't I been killed? How did I get such a beautiful wife and family? Things beyond the reach of my mind are no less real for it but my mind is not going to get me to them.

Right now, I believe that spiritual happiness depends on knowing and understanding myself. Is that just because I don't know myself very well yet? Could be. I can be physically content with shelter, food, etc. To enjoy happiness I have to have some idea what really makes me tick. What does it mean to "like myself as a person?" What lifts my spirit and inspires hope? What brings joy? How can I contribute to those things, for myself and for others? I have a lot to learn about myself and how all the different facets of my past influence who I am and how I recognize him.

Tomorrow I could have a different answer.

Thanks, I needed to write this.

Joe

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.