Newest Members
beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1, AustinChemist, wild_turky
12276 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
1 registered (ebenjen), 18 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12276 Members
73 Forums
63167 Topics
441715 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#125038 - 12/14/05 05:22 PM Who's a "normal"
Zipser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Connecticut
Hello,

It's soapbox time for a half-serious offering.

Would everyone who does not consider himself to be "normal", yet wishes to be so, raise your hand? OK, now would you mind telling me what "normal" is?

I don't want the term to be viewed in a bad light but are we focusing too much energy on becoming "normal" when we could be focusing on just being ourselves?

Here are some of the things I know about some "normals":

- One hasn't been intimate with her husband in over 5 years.

- One thinks nothing of cheating on her spouse.

- More than one spends too much time with alcohol

- One is so wrapped up in appearing succesful he can't enjoy what he already has.

- More than one neglects their children's needs in order to satisfy their own.

I'm sure you can add to the list.

Who am I? It's true that I've survived CSA but it's not all that I am. As a matter of fact it's becoming less and less a part of who I am. That's one of the good things about this board. We can talk and share, gain insight, heal and grow.

So if being a "normal" means I might have to swim in the same waters as those other people described above, I'll decline thank you. I'm happy with who I am.

Enjoy the day and thanks for listening!

Zipser

#125039 - 12/14/05 05:42 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Paul,

You raise an excellent point here. When we think of recovering from our abuse experiences as restoring us to "normality", then aren't we defining ourselves in terms of abuse?

I would have to say that what happened to me as a child has had a pretty devastating effect that I feel in every part of my life. But still, I have always done and still do lots of "normal" things, and there are lots of other things that I see others engaging in and I'm so glad I have stayed away from them - or have gotten away from them.

That's great you are able to say "I'm happy with who I am". A few months ago I could not have said that, but now I think I am there - almost. Or at least I can set that as a target and see how far I have come - just by virtue of the fact that I can think like that.

Much love,
Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#125040 - 12/14/05 06:52 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
AuthenticMe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Zipser,

I think we've all been traumatized to a certain degree. I can't remember the first time I experience physical pain, but I imagine that it was a traumatic experience. When I think about all the people who have been mistreated by others without any awareness that they were being mistreated and it wasn't their fault, well...that's gotta be pretty close to everyone.

As survivors of CSA, our trauma runs deeper and touches so many profound parts of our lives: trust, sexuality, authority, safety, etc.

When I read your list above, I wish that the people on the list would learn to accept themselves just the way they are so they wouldn't have to act out in those harmful ways. It's something I'm working on for myself, and I think it's something that we all struggle with.

#125041 - 12/15/05 02:41 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

One thought I had when I read you post Paul, was that for 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 girls, CSA is normal. It's what happens every day, or every week with regularity.

Normal. I don't like the word. I prefer to say that I am on the path to better emotional health, to a more balanced view of life, to a fuller life, because I am gaining understanding of what happened to me and the effects it had on my life.

Courage,

John

#125042 - 12/15/05 06:21 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

John,

Good grief! What a "light-bulb moment". You are so right and you say it so clearly. We all have to be ourselves and seek the aims you mention within the context of our own feelings and character as individuals.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125043 - 12/17/05 01:47 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Paul,

when I first visited here, I was terrified of posting, but guess what? I got a terrific response from all the guys who were about to share all of my hidden fears.

Normal is definitely not for me, but guess what?
The guys here are more than normal, they are all special, and unique to this world.

My two brothers, and my sister regard themselves as normal, with me being the odd one out. All they think about is money and what they can get, which is a far cry from my humble self.

I can be happy just walking along the coast on a winters day, and enjoying life through my eyes, which see a whole load more beauty than they could ever imagine.

As long as we keep our health, and well being, then we are the richest people on this earth.

Normal, nah, not me,

ste

#125044 - 12/28/05 09:14 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
dibargib Offline

I was actually talking to my gf about this the other day. We decided that normal people - people who seem to have all of their loose ends tied up - are either: a. simple and boring; or b. don't really have things together that well at all, but are good at keeping up appearances. I think that to a lot of people I'm not close to I appear to have everything together... might even say I'm normal. HAH! Like I want to join their club!

-John

#125045 - 12/28/05 09:59 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

The more I think about this the more it seems to me that "normal" is so often just a term people use to judge others or themselves: "If only I were normal", "Why can't you do (x, y, z) like normal people!?", and so on.

Perhaps the best way to respond to such polemics is just to refuse to dignify them with an answer.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125046 - 12/28/05 02:32 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
The Seeker Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Zipser,

This is interesting. I used the phrase, "like a normal guy" in my thanks note on the main board. To me, normal isn't some ideal state of perfection or whatever, it means being okay in my own skin, accepting myself, loving myself, and being proud of who I am. Like you, I know lots of "normal" folks that I would never want to be. It is like that is a label they use to justify their maladjusted lives. Someone here said labels are for cans. I don't think of normal as a label, but rather a feeling. A sense of ease with myself, and a lack of desire to punish myself for being a bad person because I am not a bad person. I am a good person who suffered some bad shit through no fault of his own. This place really helped solidify that realization this year. You've made a great point though. I used to try to be what I thought others felt I should be, like other "normal" people, to please them. Now, I just work on making myself happy, and understanding that happy is a temporary state at best. I don't want to be other people's normal, I want to be my kind of normal, and I think I am very frequently these days. I am getting better. I am recovering. Sure, I have lots to do, but I AM getting better with every breath I draw. It wasn't too late. I am still here fighting, and winning more often than not.

#125047 - 12/28/05 11:07 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
Zipser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Seeker and all,

Just when I think it can't get any better on this site I see these well written, heartfelt, thought provoking replies.

Thank you so very much. It's a privilege to be a part of this group.

Zipser

#125048 - 12/28/05 11:44 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Zipser,

if you eventually decide that you are normal, then go away, we dont want you \:\)

People who think beyond the norm, won wars, and built the World we live in.

Something to think about ;\)

ste

#125049 - 12/29/05 03:26 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
The Seeker Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Zipser,

Thank yourself too. Your post got us going. Sometimes, I am so busy fixing things and getting through the day, I forget to step back and check my progress. The types of questions you brought up remind me to do that. I can even pat myself on the back sometimes. Once in awhile, I actually feel guilty about saying I am doing okay, like when I see others struggling. But then I remember the days I was really struggling, and I came here and read that somebody else was doing well. I thought, "Hey, maybe I can do that too, or feel that way. I will just give it a try." We need to celebrate our good days, because when we were kids and younger adults they were few and far between. Maybe it's just one day a month, but it could be two next month, etc. It took a long time to get here, so I think (like losing weight which I am not) it will take awhile to get out too. So, let's swim against the tide, and soon the shore will be on the horizon, probably when we least expect it.

So, anyway, THANKS TO YOU!

PS - If you're a teen reading this, my youth and young adult life was hard because I never told anyone and spent my time kicking myself. Don't do that, and you'll get better faster than us older folks.

John

#125050 - 12/29/05 06:31 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I can't tell you how often I look at my kids in total amazement, at how "normal" they are compared to the way I was as a kid-- confident, happy, involved in the world around them--

then one of them comes home from school and says somebody called her "weird." The other one says, proudly, "Well, you are weird. Our whole family is weird, so get used to it."

I love them so much. \:D

#125051 - 12/29/05 07:17 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

My kids' friends come over and they can't believe our house: so "unnormal" \:\) . Total chaos and disorder, dog flops wherever he wants, kids arguing hotly with my wife and me on every subject and calling me Larry or Dad as they like, their friends invited on the spur of the moment for a sleepover and the whole house organizes to make sure its a success, kids participate in decisionmaking, loud rock music whenever, meals at no fixed hour, Christmas tree stays up until the middle of January, birthdays celebrated for a week (mine especially, of course), and so on. But things get done, everyone is safe, loved and respected, and responsibilities are divided out in a way that everyone hates equally.

Guess what? Many of my kids' friends would love to live here, and sometimes they drop around unannounced just to say hi to my wife and me. On more than one occasion we have had one of them for a week or more because their Mom and Dad decided on a vacation that the kid hates and wasn't consulted about. They get the guest room, my talk about pitching in, and then just dive into the nonsense with the rest of us.

Both of my two love the idea that our family is so "wierd".

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125052 - 12/30/05 05:56 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
All of my biological family thinks that they are 'normal' (18+ years of physical/mental abuse and 5 years of sexual abuse) - and if they are normal - then I want nothing to do with that...

P.S. - hey Larry - the world needs more unnormal people like us in it \:\) - I'd of loved to have a "weird" family like that when I was growing up...

TJ jeff

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#125053 - 12/31/05 09:26 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

since I came here in late August, I have come to truly love all you weird and unnormal people.

Didn't somebody a while back (before my time) name this place Gaboogistan?

Well.......

In my best Kingly fashion I now dub this place

Gaboogistan, the land of the NEW NORMAL, where love and kindness shall be predominant

Not that I am claiming the role of king, you understand. Just assuming the role in the momentary absense of whomever holds the job currently. \:D I'm sure they will convey upon me their blessings upon their return.

Lots of love,

John

#125054 - 01/01/06 01:54 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
If I'm 'normal' then god help the rest of you ! :rolleyes:

Dave

PS.
Larry, that sounds like our house, we should do a swop sometime \:D

#125055 - 01/06/06 04:52 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Dave, SAR,

This one is for YOU two!!!! When it happened I immediately thought, hey, I know a place where this one has to be retold.....

"Normal" kid, asking for money to go to a film: "Dad, can I have £x to go to a movie?"

My daughter, same approach to me over the holidays: "Gimme yer lunch money punk!!!"

I just loved it! \:D And guess what she did with the extra money after the film? She got stuff and made sandwiches for her big brother and took them to him at the music shop where he works. She knew from a text message that he had had to work through his lunch break, and she also knew he had a gig that night. So she knew he would have nothing to eat all day and thought to fix him up. How cool is that?

I plunk for wierd any day!

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125056 - 01/08/06 07:17 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Wierd's good! \:D

#125057 - 01/08/06 11:47 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
SAR Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Larry, you have a lot to be proud of in those two. Even if your daughter is stealing your lunch money...

#125058 - 01/12/06 03:48 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
Dewey Offline

Loc: the sunshine state
Hey Walkingsouth John, Since you're the self proclaimed king, [weirdo] could I hit your majesty up for about $250k? I havn't sold my house back in Ill. and this new mortgage is well...... I'll be your jester to pay you back. Oh wait, I did that already once, it didn't work. Never mind, I'll work for it or pray it in or whatever. Dewey

#125059 - 01/12/06 06:51 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
pjn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast United States
your right what is normal? why do we think we are less than anyone else because we are dealing with CSA? I mean if 1-6 boys are abused there are a whole lot of us out there. I am tired of being frightened and sick to my stomach! I want to live like I did in the past. Why am I so obssesed with that happened to me? Why? because I care! I want to live in world that is free of CSA wouldn't it be great if that was "Normal"!!!!!

#125060 - 01/12/06 02:14 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dewey, I'll defer all dispensations from the treasury to the Wizard of Gaboogistan. He's the only one who is able to conjur such things up! ;\)

Me too, pjn. Me too.

Lots of love

John

#125061 - 01/12/06 05:18 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

PJN,

Quote:
I mean if 1-6 boys are abused there are a whole lot of us out there.
It is good to be reminded of that sometimes. We here at MS are a TINY minority of survivors. Many more than us are out there somewhere still feeling alone and carrying guilt that belongs to others.

So back to "wierd" and "normal": We are the wierd ones because somehow we found the courage to step forward and say I will not remain alone and silent any longer. Wierd sounds okay for me.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125062 - 01/14/06 07:08 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
shadowkid Offline
WARNING from ModTeam, September 2013: user "Shadowkid" was exposed as a hoaxer. His entire online persona and stories of sexual abuse were fiction. We encourage you not to become emotionally concerned by anything you see in any of his posts. Thank you
MaleSurvivor

we are normal ,it's the rest of them that are god damn crazy!!

#125063 - 01/31/06 08:33 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Back to this cool thread on being "normal". My daughter and I were discussing this and she said this: "Who cares about 'normal'? Why not just try to be happy? Isn't that 'normal' enough already?"

Interesting thought - and she's 18.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125064 - 01/31/06 09:52 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

There are more normal people on this site than I have met in real life.

I say that because there is empathy, understanding, sharing of emotions, explanation of dreams etc.,etc.

If myself or you guys are not normal, then who is?
Just listen to a politcian for a half hour, then say they are normal, guess I dont need to be that 'normal',

ste

#125065 - 02/04/06 06:16 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
Normal is a setting on my washing machine and a few other appliances.

Outside of that, and some specific uses in mathematics, science, and medicine, the word is meaningless.

Even in context, what does it mean? Especially when applied to people or behavior or beliefs.

Does it mean average? Usual? Common? Maybe it means that any other type of people or behavior or belief or culture is not normal? Is AB-normal?

Bah, Humbug.

Normal has too many meanings. It is not only subjective, but varies wildly from time to time, place to place, and culture to culture.

Declaring one type of behavior [or culture or belief] "normal" implies that any other type is "abnormal". I think this is the leading edge of bigotry, discrimination, and tyranny.

We all make judgements, and certainly there is behavior which is aberrant and abhorent, but too many people allow others to define "normal", and they just go along as if it truly applied or meant anything at all, other than to betray a particular opinion, prejudice, or dislike.

That's just my opinion. It sounds pretty normal to me.

#125066 - 02/04/06 05:53 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Don,

Quote:
That's just my opinion. It sounds pretty normal to me.
Love it! \:\)

Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125067 - 03/09/06 07:50 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
Zipser Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hello,

Bringing this back to the top as there's an ongoing thread on the DB.

Zipser

#125068 - 03/29/06 05:42 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
Steven Heath Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York City
i always used to tell my shrink that i wanted to "feel normal".....after probably helping him send his daughter through college with my many years of therapy....i have come to the conclusion that "feeling normal" is not what i want at all......there are many other things i would rather feel.....thanks.....steve

#125069 - 03/30/06 04:55 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
michael Joseph Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
no such thing as normal, I want to be alive, and enjoy life as much as possible. I want to spend time with friends. I want to be me!!!!!!!!!!

The Round Table, Men's CSA Group, Monday 7:30pm CST, MaleSurvivor Chat

#125072 - 04/02/06 08:32 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Let's also remember that in many ways talk about being "normal" is just a strategy for enforcing someone's own narrow orthodoxy. In other cases fears about not being normal are just regret at the feeling that one doesn't "fit in" with the crowd.

But isn't it the "heretics" and mavericks who end up doing the most interesting and valuable things with their lives?

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125073 - 04/02/06 07:52 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
fhorns Offline
MaleSurvivor

Larry,
You touched on something I have known for years but could never share. I look at the mavericks and heretics and think "I have what they have, yet right now I'm afraid to try." I think SA makes me helpless and weak. I may fail. I want to be....one of THEM (That's a challenge, Japan man!) Maybe I am!

Normal? I was with a friend who told me he wished I would just "bust out". He thought I was containing myself so much. I thought about it shortly and knew he was right. I was...afraid of success. I googled it on my PC, and have explanations in my "favorites" file. I've been afraid the "me" inside would be seen. I'm not seeing myself fairly. Thus, since I've not accepted myself (in my eyes), I am constantly trying to "improve" myself. (My perpetual question: what needs to change now?)

Yikes! I'm not seeing something right!

fhorns

#125074 - 04/02/06 08:28 PM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

fhorns,

Like anything else this problem is one that needs to be approached carefully and with small safe steps. You say "I may fail". Yes, that is always possible. But if you fear it that doesn mean it will happen, or that you as a person are a failure.

That's great you have a friend who noticed what you were doing and trusted you enough to comment on it. Can you trust him back? I don't mean talk about the SA, but just see if with some personal support you can "bust out" a bit. Not with something really big...just enough to take some steps toward trusting your own worth and judgment again.

Are you seeing a T? This would be a topic where some professional guidance would be a great idea.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#125076 - 04/04/06 01:06 AM Re: Who's a "normal"
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

JapanZen,

Quote:
In my opinion I am normal, even if I am damaged.
Can I add here that you didn't ask for the harm done to you? You didn't understand what it meant when you were so young, and it was never your fault.

Awhile ago you put up a post that had your blog address in it, so I had a look. Know what I saw? A happy man living a wonderful life with a loving woman and surrounded by supportive friends and family. And into the bargain you learned Japanese and became a Zen Master?

That sounds exceptional rather than normal! You have come so far and I hope you are full of pride at what you have accomplished.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#464619 - 04/26/14 08:27 PM Re: Who's a "normal" [Re: Zipser]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I don't normally "bump" threads, but this one bears consideration.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.