Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
9 registered (Cthulhu, lapchinj, I Want 2 Thrive, genedebs, 2 invisible), 20 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63211 Topics
442000 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#125021 - 08/12/03 10:06 AM Sharing Joy
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share some joy today. My daughter Sarah just finished her MSW at the U of Michigan and she along with her partner, Jennifer, is coming to MN to visit for the week.

Her trip to Mpls has a double purpose, as Jennifer attended the U of M and Sarah is shopping for a place to do her PhD.

I am especially excited that Sarah's chosen field of study in the field of social work is transgender studies.

She was recently notified that an article she wrote: "Guidelines for Beginning Practitioners and Students in Social Work Practice with Transgender Individuals," was accepted for publication in THE NEW SOCIAL WORKER .

I think she is going to make empowering contributions in this field, and I am sure that her field and the field of SA intersect somewhere along the way. Who knows how one may be impacted by the other. I am happy that someone might show us how.

I am one proud father.

Ron

#125022 - 08/12/03 10:14 AM Re: Sharing Joy
dwf Offline
Moderator/BoD Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Austin, Texas USA
Congratulations, Ron!

I am very happy for you, your daughter, her partner and for all of us who will gain the wonderful benefits of a young woman trained to help others in their struggle for self acceptance.

Your brother,

-Tony Joe White

#125023 - 08/12/03 01:08 PM Re: Sharing Joy
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ron,

That is good news. I didn't hear any horn blowing as far as you're concerned but I'm sure you had something to do with her chosen field. Ya, I'm talking about influence beyond the gene thing.
Regardless, a wonderful accomplishment; I'm happy for you both.
It's especially rewarding when you see your kids doing something for someone else.
Many of my daughter's collegues in the theater have been affected by the whole HIV scene; they've lost many friends. Jenny coordinates dinner on Sundays from 4 to 8 PM for the residents of "OUR HOUSE," an HIV Hospice here in Portland.
I share your pride for daughters, today.

Enjoy the week with your daughter,

David

#125024 - 08/13/03 09:13 AM Re: Sharing Joy
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Thanks guys. This is the first time since sarah has been an adult that we have been able to spend time together because of both our lives being in flux: her in school and me in transition. This is both a time of excavation for the past as well as laying foundation for our future relationship.

Spending time with her this week has been deeply gratifying.

Ron

#125025 - 08/13/03 12:19 PM Re: Sharing Joy
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Ron,

I know you must be tremendously proud. I take such great pride in seeing my children meeting their childhood challenges, and you are seeing some of the fruits of your years as a Dad. Sarah sounds like a wonderful person, and I'll bet her father's unconditional love has a lot to do with that.

Thanks for "Sharing Joy" with me.

Joe

#125026 - 08/14/03 12:33 AM Re: Sharing Joy
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Ron - Just to let you know I know that you know that proud papa feeling! Ain't it great? Keep that feeling...wrap it up...take it out whenever you need a shot in the arm. You have something really great to celebrate!

I'm a dad too with a very precious daughter in grad school. Boy, they do make you stand taller!!

Howard

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.