Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
8 registered (Jude, CafeMan, aniceguy, dan_in_newengland, Frustrated, 2 invisible), 69 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62565 Topics
438377 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124948 - 08/10/03 02:15 PM A (good) rememberance of childhood
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Near the end of a long and hectic day Friday, I stood along the side of the flooded road. The adults were all hounding me as to why the road is flooded, what I am going to do about it, "it's been like this everytime it rains for the twenty-five years I've been here" (yet this is the first time she called and complained).

And I couldn't have been in a more peaceful and tranquil place. I was watching the children in the neighborhood riding there bicycles through the water. Sometimes they would make it through, sometimes they would't. A lot of chains were popped of their sprockets.

I remember as a child, I would ride my bikes with my friends through the flooded playground behind the school. In the middle was a small ditch. We would have to work hard to get through that ditch. Sometimes we made it, sometimes we didn't. These were the best of times.

The kids from Friday, were scared that I was going to run them away. I told them of the good times I had doing the same thing when I was there age. And that watching them play like that brought back memories of the good times. No, I would not try to stop them, but I was going to make the water go away. So I told them to have a good time while they could.

I stood there and watched, until my maintenance crews showed up and cleared the storm drain line and allowed the water to flow away. The adults were happy. The children ran off to find a new flooded spot. And I had a great memory relived.

I think I have now found my happy place. A piece of flooded ground and an eight year old on a bicycle.

Bill

#124949 - 08/10/03 07:58 PM Re: A (good) rememberance of childhood
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Bill,

I remember riding through puddles, too. But I had some of my best times on a car hood (Is that a bonnet, Lloydy?), flipped upside down and dragged to the top of an ice covered culm/slag mountain. Sled runners would break through the ice, but a nice Chevy hood could fit enough kids on the way down to carry it up to the top. You could pick up a lot speed on the way down!

Once we took an old turkey roaster and put GI Joes in there to let them experience the ride. \:D

Thanks for jogging my memory.

Joe

#124950 - 08/10/03 08:13 PM Re: A (good) rememberance of childhood
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
The memories of good times as a child cannot ever be replaced.

I remember riding my horse on a cold clear winter day with brilliant sunshine and no wind. The trees glistening with last nights lite snowfall. Just my horse and I walking beside each other down a country road.

Together and totally at peace. Prince nudging me for the odd piece of sugar and his breath making a misty haze that we walked through.

Totally clean and pure. Wow.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.