Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cyclebreaker (41), monkeybusinessinky (28), Tom Byrnes (55), wind west (30)
Who's Online
1 registered (Kylie), 19 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63219 Topics
442054 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124918 - 08/01/03 09:35 AM Happy Lughnasa! Dancing, anyone?
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Yeah, right. I know of the play, but I've never seen it. What's entertaining/enlightening/refreshing? What books, tv shows, plays, operas, or or whatever do you like? I didn't want to ask in the Books section because I'm not asking about recovery books, but anything.

I like science fiction, especially space flight/exploration stuff. I was hooked on the original Star Trek the first time I saw one of the reruns 30+ years ago. It was "The Trouble With Tribbles," and they had this really cool spaceship, and this super smart guy with funny ears, and a bunch of mean aliens that didn't like them and... See, I was hooked.

I read all the stories in the "Dangerous Visions" series and got started looking at a wider selection of science fiction. It's tailed off now that I stay so busy with "real life" but I still buy anthologies now and again, or the Nebula award winner volumes.

My wife reads Jane Austen, and I so read "Pride and Prejudice" last summer. I talked with her about it, but I haven't asked to borrow any of the others. Not enough dinosaurs or space ships in there for me, I guess.

So, what's entertaining/enlightening/refreshing?

Thanks,

Joe

#124919 - 08/01/03 10:31 AM Re: Happy Lughnasa! Dancing, anyone?
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Joe:

The series by Robert Jordan. The wheel of time.
Jordan takes up where Toilken left off. It is a saga of gruly grand proportions. IT will be a 13 volume set and book 10 is now out. Virtually all of the books are 900-1000 pages. Really great stuff. The first book is tedious for the firts 1/3 and then you are hooked.

Onther good stuff. Frank Heberts Dune Trilogy

Isaac Asimov I Robot and all the rest of that series.

All fantasy but great stuff and full of a lot of really great truths.

These books are all about good versus evil especially Jordan's

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#124920 - 08/01/03 07:10 PM Re: Happy Lughnasa! Dancing, anyone?
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Here is a quick peek into my psyche and interests.

Books:
Tom Clancy novels, not the op-center books.
Stephen Coonts' Jake Grafton series.
\:\) All of the Robert Fulghum collections, you know "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten"
The Clan of the Cave Bear series.
Spy history and novels.
History books.
and, don't laugh, text books.

Movies:
\:\) Rudy (the most touching movie ever)
The American President (I don't know why, I just keep watching it over and over)

Television: the three shows I watch
JAG
West Wing
Stargate SG-1

Others:
\:D I love to go see musicals. So uplifting.

I have a varying mix of interests in what I read and watch. Not to much Rhyme or Reason, but that's fine with me. I like to read. I am currently reading one of the Stephen Coonts books.

Oh I got a 1926 Garden book in today. \:\) Now I need my 1883 Scottish Ballads book to come in. A strange mix indeed.

Bill

#124921 - 08/02/03 06:33 PM Re: Happy Lughnasa! Dancing, anyone?
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Hummmmm...

Books:
Robert Ludlum - similar to Clancy, tons of books
damn, can't remember the author's name - the Dirk Pitt (tm) Series. I get a giggle from a registered name - Dirk always saves the day after inumerable feats of superhuman strength and clever ness.

Sci-Fi, etc.
Arthur C. Clarke - Rama Series
Robert Heinlein (sp?)
Jose Farmer
Piers Anthony (for light fun)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.