Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
drivejoepublic (44), eagle299 (43), H18 (21), JJJ (43), mariposaman (63), SevenTwoTwo76 (39), TexAgMan (37), waiter (44), wgwarch (55)
Who's Online
5 registered (highflight, don64, tbkkfile, Dave PNW, 1 invisible), 73 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63585 Topics
444224 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124918 - 08/01/03 09:35 AM Happy Lughnasa! Dancing, anyone?
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Yeah, right. I know of the play, but I've never seen it. What's entertaining/enlightening/refreshing? What books, tv shows, plays, operas, or or whatever do you like? I didn't want to ask in the Books section because I'm not asking about recovery books, but anything.

I like science fiction, especially space flight/exploration stuff. I was hooked on the original Star Trek the first time I saw one of the reruns 30+ years ago. It was "The Trouble With Tribbles," and they had this really cool spaceship, and this super smart guy with funny ears, and a bunch of mean aliens that didn't like them and... See, I was hooked.

I read all the stories in the "Dangerous Visions" series and got started looking at a wider selection of science fiction. It's tailed off now that I stay so busy with "real life" but I still buy anthologies now and again, or the Nebula award winner volumes.

My wife reads Jane Austen, and I so read "Pride and Prejudice" last summer. I talked with her about it, but I haven't asked to borrow any of the others. Not enough dinosaurs or space ships in there for me, I guess.

So, what's entertaining/enlightening/refreshing?

Thanks,

Joe

#124919 - 08/01/03 10:31 AM Re: Happy Lughnasa! Dancing, anyone?
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
Joe:

The series by Robert Jordan. The wheel of time.
Jordan takes up where Toilken left off. It is a saga of gruly grand proportions. IT will be a 13 volume set and book 10 is now out. Virtually all of the books are 900-1000 pages. Really great stuff. The first book is tedious for the firts 1/3 and then you are hooked.

Onther good stuff. Frank Heberts Dune Trilogy

Isaac Asimov I Robot and all the rest of that series.

All fantasy but great stuff and full of a lot of really great truths.

These books are all about good versus evil especially Jordan's

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#124920 - 08/01/03 07:10 PM Re: Happy Lughnasa! Dancing, anyone?
Bill_1965 Offline
Chat Mod Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Flint, Michigan
Here is a quick peek into my psyche and interests.

Books:
Tom Clancy novels, not the op-center books.
Stephen Coonts' Jake Grafton series.
\:\) All of the Robert Fulghum collections, you know "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten"
The Clan of the Cave Bear series.
Spy history and novels.
History books.
and, don't laugh, text books.

Movies:
\:\) Rudy (the most touching movie ever)
The American President (I don't know why, I just keep watching it over and over)

Television: the three shows I watch
JAG
West Wing
Stargate SG-1

Others:
\:D I love to go see musicals. So uplifting.

I have a varying mix of interests in what I read and watch. Not to much Rhyme or Reason, but that's fine with me. I like to read. I am currently reading one of the Stephen Coonts books.

Oh I got a 1926 Garden book in today. \:\) Now I need my 1883 Scottish Ballads book to come in. A strange mix indeed.

Bill

#124921 - 08/02/03 06:33 PM Re: Happy Lughnasa! Dancing, anyone?
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Hummmmm...

Books:
Robert Ludlum - similar to Clancy, tons of books
damn, can't remember the author's name - the Dirk Pitt (tm) Series. I get a giggle from a registered name - Dirk always saves the day after inumerable feats of superhuman strength and clever ness.

Sci-Fi, etc.
Arthur C. Clarke - Rama Series
Robert Heinlein (sp?)
Jose Farmer
Piers Anthony (for light fun)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.