Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445577 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124813 - 07/20/03 09:47 PM Moving your focus to better things -- be creative!
WhyMe Offline

Welcome!

What technique or trick have you found that helps you relax when you are stressed out? Or when the darkness of the night seems to be closing in?

I mentioned in another post that sometimes I write children's stories to take my mind off scary things. I was asked to share. ;\) Below is the link to my most ambitious story. Actually, it is the only story that has gotten past me emailing it to a kindergarten (I edited to add the word teacher here) teacher friend of mine I met on the internet.

The story is just after The World Trade Center, 9/11. So don't read it if that will bother you. Although it is just mentioned to get the story going and then it is forgotten.

Feel free to laugh and feel good inside. That's what it's all about. Oh, there are a couple>

#124814 - 07/20/03 10:05 PM Re: Moving your focus to better things -- be creative!
martin Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The Good Earth
WhyMe,

I don't know. Thats something I really need to work on, finding more ways to deal with descending darkness.

I was gonna post a similar question about things you do just for the pure joy of it. Something I also need / want to have more of.

I'm way to serious sometimes so usually what I try to do is hit it head on. Try to clear it all out at once. Doesn't always work.

Exercise helps.

I use to think watching TV helped but usually I'd watch to much then feel like I just avoided the problem.

Meditation helps too.

Just some thoughts, good post.

Aaron

Its times like these time & time again.
-The Foo Fighters

#124815 - 07/21/03 01:03 AM Re: Moving your focus to better things -- be creative!
jimrh Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Roswell, GA
Drinking Wine.

#124816 - 07/21/03 03:41 AM Re: Moving your focus to better things -- be creative!
uncertain Offline

Whyme, I read your other post last night, when I couldn't sleep a wink. Since I found out that my brother was SA as a kid, I have found myself very vigilant and scared at nights. Any sound wakes me up in a panic. Last night was no exception. I feel it in my chest.

So, when I woke up and read your post about writing a story, I did it. And as I wrote, I felt as if I was the little boy in the story and my parents protected me. It is weird how things like this work, but it really helped me relax and fall asleep. Which is good, because I need to work! Thanks for this idea.

P.S. I like the Poochie story. \:\)

#124817 - 07/21/03 03:57 AM Re: Moving your focus to better things -- be creative!
WhyMe Offline

Uncertain

I am so glad my suggestion about writing a story helped you.

That is how this board works. We all trade ideas. Some of the ideas will work for some people. Some other ideas will work for other people. But eventually everyone hits on something that is right for him. And then it is a celebration among brothers because those "hits" bring us that much closer to healing and peace in our lives.

Thanks for sharing your experience from my post.
WhyMe

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.