Newest Members
BCtejas, JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman
12491 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
5 registered (Sonata1, GT13568, aniceguy, Garf, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12491 Members
74 Forums
64158 Topics
447718 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#124727 - 07/18/03 12:30 PM Re: Support Groups -- Broadening the Scope of the Search
The Dean Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Male Survivors of Personal Violence.

People can be traumatized by seeing violence, and people are traumatized in war. But personal, would mean to me, that my person endured violence.

I do believe that all violence affects us. I was the witness of shootings twice; two urban riots, dozens of violent crashes within in minutes of the accident--worked with the police as a cadet-- too many fist fights to try to count, etc Some say that means I was traumatized.

But what has been done to my body, in a violent fashion, has affected me likie nothing else. I think we are on to something here. We already know that millions of American men have been sexually assaulted. If we included all violent attacks upon the person of the boy/man, well, the number would be astronomical.

Whether we men feel something, as a result of violence to our person, that is different than women, I can't prove. I sure have my opinion though. Not more or less, but different.

I did attend a workshop by a guy named Terry Kellog who gives workshops on PTSD for police departments, EMT's, etc. So it is clearly recognized that being involved in violence of any kind has a profound efffect on us.

What we call the experience of feeling "not a part of" or "unwanted" or "marginalized, I don't know. But I think it does some really bad things to our spirit.

Peace to us all.

Bob

#124728 - 07/18/03 12:59 PM Re: Support Groups -- Broadening the Scope of the Search
WhyMe Offline

Bob

Quote:
If we included all violent attacks upon the person of the boy/man, well, the number would be astronomical.
Maybe if we could lump all the kinds of abuse under one umbrella violation, then that umbrella could be the central clearinghouse to draw attention to our cause. (The yellow pages are full of services for women.)

I don't mean that men want anyone to feel sorry for them because they have a "condition". What we as men want is simply what is due us -- easy and affordable access to whatever medical care, psychological strengthening, and therapy we may need. But our system denies our needs and has no organized way to deal with our needs. Perhaps some localities have been able to provide better services than others. But overall, our options suck. (My language has become a lot more colorful since I arrived here.)

Pushing on until men are treated like women,
WhyMe

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.