Newest Members
beatcook, MassGuy, wiresguy1, AustinChemist, wild_turky
12276 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
4113 (60), Andre M, (36), catchup22 (62), jim OCA 7 (57), sidhearthur (55), SkyClad (65)
Who's Online
5 registered (whome, Jim1961, Obi, 2 invisible), 21 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12276 Members
73 Forums
63167 Topics
441715 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#124572 - 07/28/03 10:25 PM Re: Minnesota or bust...............
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
For those of you who are thinking about coming to the conf but are not sure about "fitting in" or safety, I can say that having been to all but one of the conferences in the past 15 years, it is a safe place where survivors DO fit in.

The conf staff goes out of its way to make sure the facility is safe. There is a safe room for anyone who gets upset or shaky and I've seen lots of caring and accomodation for people's needs. This even went so far as Richard Gartner, our president, giving his Teddy Bear to a survivor who needed it more than him last conf in NY.

I don't know if it can be done, but if we have extra room from a cancelled workshop available, or if we can have access to a room at the end of the day for MS forum people to gather, we could try to set something up where you could hang out for a while before heading off to dinner.

Remember, as much as the conf is for professionals who want to learn more to help survivors, it is just as much a conference for survivors to connect and get help.

Hope you will consider coming and connecting.

Ken

#124573 - 07/28/03 11:00 PM Re: Minnesota or bust...............
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Quote:
I just booked my flight this afternoon. I have a flight reservation, a hotel reservation, and a conference registration. Looks good to go.
And today my T shirt arrived! The die is cast.

\:\)

BTW, the shirt looks cool.

#124574 - 07/29/03 01:46 PM Re: Minnesota or bust...............
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Hey, Guys,

Let's hear a round of applause for Ken and his assurance that we'll all be cared for at the conference. I'll bet that most of us knew that, but appreciate being told .

I mean, what could we expect from an organization that's provided us with this forum, and mods to moderate.

And because MS has set this up, it has attracted caring, concerned people like us. We DO care about each other and that's what makes this site unique.

I'm liking the fact that there will be a safe room where we can get some of the pro's help if we need it.

I'm thinking that we'll have some safeguards of our own, certainly less formal but caring and encouraging, just the same.

One of those safeguards you've heard me suggest is the "senior table." Remember those? You know, those tables or table in our high shcool cafeteria--is cafeterium, the singular form?--where most of us weren't welcome, even when we were seniors?

The idea, of course, is to have some niche where we can gather, casually, when and if we need some company and conversation, or just to know that we're still brothers and we're still, "in this together," pretty much like it is here.

The gathering on Wednesday evening can be a great time for "breaking the ice," and "testing the waters," something that Minnesotans have a great deal of experience doing.

Hey, I just remembered, the conference will be after Labor Day. Doesn't it start snowing up there on Labor Day Eve? It's a state holiday, isn't it, when Minnesota goes from green to white?

Ya'eh sur'e, you betcha, "The Minnesoda Labor Day Eve Snow Festival."
In all seriousness, guys, you do know, of course, that this is how Minnesota gets its population. They get people to schedule conferences, conventions, that sorta thing, in September, when most of us are thinking about beautiful Falls, and when the conference folks and convention gatherers, gather, the snow hits, airports close and all of those stranded people have to become residents.
There really should have been a disclaimer printed in the conference material, reminding the attendees that coming to this conference, one runs the risk of having to become a resident of Minnesota and that a 10 round bout with the Governor is also required.

So, even though we will be dealing with some heavy personal issues and that caring is a priority, we may even have a little fun, too.

Very soberly yours,

Using a little comedy to relief the anxiety that I'm experiencing about all of this,

Your brother in the struggle, sending love and encouragement to his new found friends,

I remain, eternally grateful for you guys,

davy

#124575 - 08/05/03 02:29 PM Re: Minnesota or bust...............
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

AN UPDATE FROM LAKE WOBEGONE:

I have just discovered that for us to have a private room for dinner on Wednesday night, the hotel would require that we order off of their banquet menu, that we would all have to order the same thing and that the least expensive dinner is $19.95. I did mention that there could be 10 to 15 for dinner and they responded that they would waive the cost of the room.
I thanked them for their information---zowie--and said that we would, in that case, use the Appleby's attached to the hotel.

We won't have any real privacy but maybe we don't need it for dinner, and besides, we should be able to find a place to visit, later, somewhere within the hotel site.

That's all I got, wished I had something clever to say, but I will remind you to bring water wings and your hockey skates, you never know about the snow in Minnesoda.

David

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.