Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
3 registered (Bluedogone, traveler, bluesky), 20 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63648 Topics
444518 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124507 - 07/22/03 01:47 PM Login names
outis Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Maryland USA
Ok, I've read about the avatar survey in a thread a few weeks ago, and my avatar is so interesting \:D that I didn't participate.

But how about your login name? Some guys are using real names, like Mikey does, but a lot of us chose other names.

People have asked my about mine, and I'm curious to hear about some of yours, too, if that's ok with you.

I studied Greek and Latin in high school. In Greek class we read the Odyssey, in Greek. I had enjoyed mythology since about 5th or 6th grade, and I've read up on mythology of other cultures besides the Greeks just for fun as an adult.

Anyway, I have forgotten most of the Greek I ever knew, except for a few phrases. One of the things I never forgot was the way Odysseus told the Cyclops that his name was "Nobody" (I know, it's "NoMan" in the translation in my sig, but I always thought of it as "Nobody.") The name he used, transliterated to English characters, is outis. My recollection of the pronunciation we used in class is "OOH tis."

When I finally registered here, I didn't want to use a login that I've used anywhere else, like Yahoo or Compuserve. My copy of the Odyssey (in English) was sitting near my computer, where it is now as a matter of fact, and I remembered the name from the class. Together with the quote in my sig it seemed a perfect choice for me when I first came here.

Thanks in part to all of you, I feel much more like a somebody than a nobody today.

So, how and why did you choose your name? What is its special significance?

Thanks,

Joe

#124508 - 07/22/03 02:28 PM Re: Login names
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...
Joe,

I chose my name in coming here because, former latin student that I am, tend to gravitate towards its usage. I love to see it still be used even if nominally. It is considered a dead language after all, except for its usage in the RC church.

Sans [without] Logos [words] described me to a "T" (not a therapist) when I came here, specifically regarding the silence imposed on me all these years regarding the SA.

You'll never prove it by the way I run my mouth, but since being here, I have gone from being "without words" to being "speechless" about the marvelous freedom i have found in being able to "open my mouth" about how this dis-ease has impacted me.

There you have it, and now you know!

Ron

#124509 - 07/22/03 06:38 PM Re: Login names
orodo Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Imladris, The Safe Haven of Ar...
I created my name based on one of the languages created by JRR Tolkein in "The Lord Of The Rings" trilogy. The Elves (immortal) spoke a language called Sindarin. My post id and chat ID, tel orod, mean "of the mountain." I am of French Canadian descent. My last name, in French, means "Of the mountain". So I found it so appropriate to maintain some anonymity while here, yet still be able to express who I think I am, in a somewhat creative way. Tolkein's work are a perfect escape for me, and an allegory for so many different things in life. Orodo is pronounced o (long o) r (trilled) odo (all long o's, accent on the second o) tel orod is similar, except the second o is short, and the r is still trilled.

Seer torror (peace brother)

Orodo

It is better to be Dragon Master than Dragon Slayer. Some Dragons are meant to be mastered, others meant to be slain. Odin, Great Spirit, God, grant me the wisdom to know the difference. "May the Valar guide and bless you on your path under the sky"

#124510 - 07/22/03 07:10 PM Re: Login names
Ivanhoe Offline
MaleSurvivor

Ivanhoe was a knight. He lost his good name and his inheritance and his story is how he reclaims both.

Ivanhoe was the prefix of my telephone number of where I lived during the time that the 8th grade teacher abused me.

I have always wanted to be a knight, gallant, brave and chivalrous.

I am on a quest to reclaim my good name, my inheritance of self esteem and you guys are the knights who have helped me in this battle.

Have you ever thought of yourselves as knights?

You are, you know.

You've stopped while on your own journeys, to give aid and encouragement to a wounded fellow seeker of the truth. You've helped to bind up my wounds, you've given me cool drinks of water, you've offered me shelter from the elements, you've given me permission to continue my trek and you've offered me your help in this battle anytime that I need it.

Thank you, I'm holding my head a lot higher these days.

(Forgive me, but I've got to do this at least once.)

Sir David

#124511 - 07/22/03 09:43 PM Re: Login names
martin Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The Good Earth
My username here isn't particularly creative or expressive. When I first came here expression wasn't foremost on my mind. Not worth mentioning.

Other places I often use Horatio as my user name. He was Hamlet's cousin. The only one to survive the massacre at the end of the play and the one Hamlet told to remember his story, to pass it on so that others could learn from it.

Sir David, I like that. Has a noble ring to it!

Aaron

Its times like these time & time again.
-The Foo Fighters

#124512 - 07/23/03 07:22 AM Re: Login names
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
When I signed up here, my two remaining brain cells were busy elsewhere. So I tapped into my extremely creative side and came up with... hmmm... let's see... ok, I'm a guy and I'm how old? ack... LOL

Interesting to know the origins of other nicks.

jer

#124513 - 07/23/03 08:49 AM Re: Login names
brian-z Offline

Loc: Western USA
Brian was already taken.

#124514 - 07/23/03 08:57 AM Re: Login names
Mike Church Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Toronto, Canada
What a creative bunch of guys you are. When they were handing out brains I guess I was behind the counter asking how long they would last and not how good they were. Only Joking

The reason I use my real name is that I have spent the greater part of my life hiding. Hiding from myself, my past, others and family. I am an addictive creature. When i joined AA I decided to tell people who offered me a drink that I could not drink because I was an alcohic. If I had said anything else that was a lie I would start to believe that lie. For instance! It is against my religion. I believe that so I would change religions and start to drink again.

I am tired of hiding and being what I thought other people wanted me to be. I am myself and I know if I came here using something that was not me then I could change it at will. I cannot change my name.

I admire the manner in which your guys chose your nic and think that for whatever reason you chose them they fit you and you are comfortable with that. Like AA it is anonymous for those that choose to be. I just choose not to be.

I think it is also a good way to protect yourself from unwanted whatever ( you all know) but I would love to get into a discourse with an unsavory character. That person would come to realize that he has unleashed the hounds of hell.
When I think of all the damage those aholes have caused I would chase them into hell. But I guess that comes with being in the final quarter of my life and the respect I have for everyone here.

Guy43 that is you and you can identify with it so be proud of it.

All you other guys. Wow the depth of knowledge here astounds me.

I really want to meet the faces behind the chosen names some day.

IT REALLY IS OK TO STUMBLE. NONE OF US ARE PERFECT.

#124515 - 07/23/03 11:14 PM Re: Login names
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Yeah Mikey, I agree it is fascinating and creative on this thread. Now my nic is not really all that fascinating as it speaks of family ties. My dad, whose name was Howard also was called Scotty by my grandparents when he was a little boy (under 16) and my grandfather whose name was Alfred was called Toddy when he was a little boy. I put them together to become - dah dah...ScottyTodd. I sign my name Howard at the bottom because when I was a boy they called me Howard...no nic :rolleyes:

Howard

#124516 - 07/24/03 09:25 AM Re: Login names
guy43 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
Our ... who art in ...
Howard be thy name...

sowwy, couldn't resist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.