Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (49), crackerjack (55), nursemanda25 (33)
Who's Online
2 registered (Aptrick, Mr. Malaise), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63403 Topics
443287 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124343 - 08/13/05 09:00 PM Windoze XP
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I know for most people, they probably have pretty big drives these days, but XP by default stores loads of crap, just like any other Windoze platform.

By default it has a pretty big restore file, and although this can give a load more restore points, it is far too big. You may think OK, what the hell, but having such a big restore on the computer means the following.

If you get a Trojan on your computer, then it will by default go into the restore computer folder, which makes it impossible for an anti virus software removal program to fix it.

If you lower the size of the restore facility, then the Trojan will eventually be overwritten by the restore point.

To do this, go to the start menu, and click on help and support, then go to fixing a problem, then go to system restore, then go to change system restore settings, click on system properties, click on drive C: and go to settings on the immediate right hand side, and move the slider, I have it on 4-5%.

It sounds hard but it is not so bad if you follow it, and believe me, if you ever have a Trojan, it is well worth the trouble of following these steps.

ste

#124344 - 08/13/05 11:32 PM Re: Windoze XP
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Ste,

All ver of Win are a pain in the ass. More virus, hacks, trojans, etc are made for windows then any other plateform. Windows have sooooo many security issues it aint even funny. So if you got windows make sure you always update it. I mean check at least every couple of days at the windows update site (which can be found via control Panel and the start Menu). I also hate how much stuff windows saves in so called back up or hidden folders. O well I will just keep sitting here with my nice Mac.

lots of love, Nathan

#124345 - 08/14/05 12:04 AM Re: Windoze XP
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Nathan, yeah, I wish I had a Mac, so much, I hate windoze, and you should not have to fix the holes that microsoft leave.

It is an antiquated approach to an operating systme that could be so much symplified, but nah, they just dont get it.

They pushed other computers out of the market, to get everyone to use their trashy system, but we have no choice, if we want to use the software available.

I really hope Linux takes off, and more ppl program for it, wow, I wish,

love to you too,

ste

#124346 - 08/14/05 12:32 AM Re: Windoze XP
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I have my old computer sitting alongside me here, all plugged in but I haven't used it for maybe a year. I'm just too lazy to get rid of it!

It played up and I had the opportunity to buy a new one so I did, and then I cleaned everything I could out of the old one.

Now I'm thinking about trying Linux in it because I have WiFi for this machine and my laptop and I can easily link the old machine up. If I don't like Linux or it doesn't work I won't have lost anything.

So, all you geeks out there, do I have to unload all of the evil empires windows stuff out of it before installing linux? ( it's got windows 98 )
If so, how do you empty and re-boot a PC?

The old machine is I think a 500 Pentium, but I installed a load of RAM in it. If I just use it for online work with a simple platform then it should do the business?

Dave

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.