Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueturtle (46), David C (40), DavidC (40), Derdlecar (61), Hector (54)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63360 Topics
443053 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124311 - 08/11/05 08:35 PM Internet Browsers Grrrr
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I know a lot of people here have a problem with internet explorer. I always did so I seldom use it. Why?

I find it unstable and it has vast security isses, the latest one concerning java applets. In other words, the java can be hijacked by hackers who can access private information about you.

Microsoft being who they are, a bunch of idiots, must have purposely left holes for hackers to get into this browser, either that or they really are a bunch of idiots!

I use a browser called Opera, I dont think it is free, but you can get a free working copy, but it carries ads.

The Opera browser, has very high encryption, and can mimic other browsers, it doesnt cache webpages unless you want, and control is so easy, also the java is pretty stable, and it has a built in pop-up stopper.

The finer points are that I can open the browser, and it autologs me in, to all my sites, as it remembers its previous state, and the webpages are like a card file system, so its easy to just flick from one website to another with the click of a mouse.

Another reason to use it, is that it is 'open source' software, which means that it is programmed to make it difficult for hackers to even bother with, and much more a stable platform.

Its whatever floats your boat ;\)

ste

#124312 - 08/12/05 12:27 AM Re: Internet Browsers Grrrr
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I use AOL as my IP, but browswe through Netscape. I think it's faster and has just enough features to be useful without being overloaded with crap.

I sometimes use Mozilla, and that's ok as well.

I hate Explorer, it does strange things that I can't understand sometimes.

Dave

#124313 - 08/12/05 07:48 PM Re: Internet Browsers Grrrr
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
I could never get Mozilla, or Firefox to run on XP, and used to be a big fan of Netscape, but it is being left behind by other browsers.
It also uses loads of drive space.

You can set up Opera for speech, so you can just tell it commands thru a mike, and they are constantly updating it. It is just a simple user friendly browser with loads of features, and rarely crashes.

#124314 - 08/12/05 08:14 PM Re: Internet Browsers Grrrr
Nathan LaChine Offline
Webmaster
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Washington State
Hello,

Personal I enjoy FireFox for my internet browser. Found it a long time ago and can't get enough of FireFox. One drag is no real easy way to update it. Works 99% of the time.

Nathan

#124315 - 09/14/05 11:29 PM Re: Internet Browsers Grrrr
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
I've converted to Firefox now, I just love the 'tabs' option that makes it possible to have multiple pages open, and drag and drop between them.

The only problem I get is that 'something' makes my AOL ADSL connection freeze ocassionaly, and I suspect it's Firefox as it doesn't happen with Netscape.

Another thing I like is that a few days ago Firefox wouldn't load in my usual profile and I created a new one.
I thought I had lost my original profile, and was asked to delete all Mozilla stuff before loading the new one, which I did fully expecting to lose all my stored favourites and the personal settings I had created.
But the new download found them all and installed them automatically. I was impressed, and converted.

Dave

#124316 - 09/25/05 12:18 AM Re: Internet Browsers Grrrr
Paultje Offline

Loc: netherlands
Hi Reality,

Long time no see, somehow i don't come here that often.... How are you doing? I'm doing fine, just a little tired from time to time.
Being a software developer i use Opera, Firefox and Explorer, just for testing and all. But just for surfing i tend to use firefox.
Both Firefox and Opera are totally free, i thought firefox was the best of both, but Opera has a new release which really looks great.
Firefox is open source, but i'm not so sure Opera is open source. Open source means that even the source-code is free and is maintained by some of it's users.

#124317 - 09/26/05 12:38 AM Re: Internet Browsers Grrrr
Syris Offline

I saw the light a couple years ago and started using Opera. It's so much faster and stable and has so many more options than Explorer. And it actually friggin' does what I want it to.

"Years ago there was lose of control.Constant horrific nightmares,life turned into a deadly maze.The haunting sounds play on.No more bruised feelings.Can it shine through this? Will it ever shine? The pictures in the gold room."

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.