Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
alan's marc (43), Opal (59)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 74 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62528 Topics
438168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124246 - 07/31/05 03:33 PM how heavy is this glass of water?
al Offline

Loc: canada
A lecturer, when explaining stress management to an audience, raised a glass of water and asked, ďhow heavy is this glass of water?Ē Answers called out ranged from 20 grams to 500 grams. The lecturer replied, ďThe absolute weight doesnít matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it. If I hold it for a minute, thatís not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, Iíll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, youíll have to call an ambulance. In each case, itís the same weight, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes.Ē

He continued, ďAnd thatís the way it is with stress management. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we wonít be able to carry on. As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When weíre refreshed, we can carry on with the burden. So, before you return home tonight, put the burden of work down. Donít carry it home. You can pick it up tomorrow. Whatever burdens youíre carrying now, let them down for a moment if you can. Relax; pick them up later after youíve rested. Life is short. Enjoy it!Ē

And then he shared some ways of dealing with the burdens of life:

• Accept that some days youíre the pigeon, and some days youíre the statue.
  • Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
  • Always read stuff that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.
  • Drive carefully. Itís not only cars that can be recalled by their maker.
  • If you canít be kind, at least have the decency to be vague.
  • If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
  • Never buy a car you canít push.
  • Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you wonít have a leg to stand on.
  • Since itís the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.
  • The second mouse gets the cheese.
  • When everythingís coming your way, youíre in the wrong lane.
  • Birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you live.
  • You may be only one person in the world, but you may also be the world to one person.
  • Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.
  • We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.
  • A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour.

Kites rise highest against the wind, not with it. Winston Churchill

#124247 - 07/31/05 04:13 PM Re: how heavy is this glass of water?
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Al - That is soooo neat!! I'm glad you shared these gems from the lecture!! I have ADD and learn best with short phrases...you've helped me and everyone with whom I come in contact!! Have a real super day!!! Thanks!!

Howard

#124248 - 07/31/05 04:31 PM Re: how heavy is this glass of water?
kaceechase Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Georgia
Al,

Thank you . I Love the way that sounds and makes so much sense. I think this should be posted in every forum as a perminant post. It is so clear when you see it like that isn't it. Thank you so Much and j=have an awesome Day. And Hope you are the pigeon today.

I finally Realize, The abuse and it's Direct effects are NOT MY FAULT but The Rest of MY Life IS!

#124249 - 08/02/05 12:25 AM Re: how heavy is this glass of water?
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

I do not know it, that I understand all this. But I really know, that it - words, meant to encourage and support, and from my friend I can understand it more, and is good. Thanks for it.

VN

#124250 - 08/02/05 12:42 AM Re: how heavy is this glass of water?
Lloydy Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: England Shropshire
Great stuff, I like that.

Dave

#124251 - 08/02/05 01:30 AM Re: how heavy is this glass of water?
dan_in_newengland Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Mass
al, glad your back, contact me anytime
Dan

#124252 - 08/02/05 01:59 AM Re: how heavy is this glass of water?
Pollyanna Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Missouri
Al,

I really like this. There will always be plenty of stress. I guess if we wait for it to all be resolved before we rest, we will never rest.

Thanks for the reminder...I needed that

Hugs,
Lynn

Ė Anne Lamott

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.