Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
2 registered (Jim1961, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443345 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124236 - 07/29/05 02:10 PM genuinely ridiculous experiences
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Brothers,

Yesterday I found myself falling into a deep sadness at all the bad news we have been receiving. It was really getting to me - as indeed it should. We do have to come to terms with these things. But in the midst of all that I drifted into that thread started by my wonderful friend and little brother Jasper concerning his misunderstanding with Don. After a few posts it swerved off into levity and has now become quite ridiculous. Mikey reacted in a very cool way didn't he? He needed a laugh and a pick me up, and there it was. Queen of New England chicken-raising Jasper and straight-wannabe owl-faced scribbler Larry arsing about as the crowd gathers and joins in.

I think that is good for us, and even essential to our healing. We all know how much we have missed in life because of all this crap. Really great or wonderful or absurd things that give sparkle and luster to people's lives, but things that we often miss because we have been so gutted by what has happened to us. They float past us quietly and often we just don't see them.

Let's get some of these things up on a thread, share them, and enjoy each other's lighter side. What I have in mind is a thread of GENUINELY RIDICULOUS EXPERIENCES, not things that we have heard of, but things from our very own lives. In some ways they can of course be serious, but let's share the absurdity and nonsense of some of this stuff. Not necessarily sexual (though mine is - talk about frustration!), just anything at all. And let's hear from the young guys too. Drop the hammer on us dudes!

Please no one take offense or divert the thread by posting objections. Let's just let each other speak and share. Let us show those who hurt us that they have not entirely killed a boy's natural gift for fun and humor. Here is my contribution:

Larry the Fornicator

When I was a kid I had a very traditional and deeply religious grandmother who was deeply offended by such foul things as alcohol, civil rights, Elvis, and of course, sex outside of marriage. One day we were visiting her and here she comes around the corner and heading right for me like she has something very grave to tell me. Good guess. She sits me down and starts telling me that now that I am getting older I will be tempted by this and that (never the real words of course), and above all else I must remember that "fornicators go to hell". I thought about it a moment, told her "Okay Nana", and them hoofed it to a dictionary to look up "fornicate". I had no idea what she was talking about.

This was only months after my abuse had ended, but somehow it just tickled me to death that she had said that. I always remembered this tale, and even now it gives me a chuckle.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#124237 - 07/29/05 05:01 PM Re: genuinely ridiculous experiences
sabooka Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: I would like to know also
Great Idea Larry.

I too have a stiry about my grandmother.

When I was 19 I decided to go traveling around Europe and North Africa. Just before I left to go on my trip my 88 year old grandmother calls me on the phone to wish me a good trip and to make sure I take lots of condoms. I was never able to look at her the same way after that.

Jonathan

#124238 - 07/30/05 06:40 AM Re: genuinely ridiculous experiences
Ike Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Virginia
Hi fellows, I just thought I would tell you'll about the time my father, my little brother and myself were watching TV. An educational show on sex came on while we were watching. When the announcement came over the TV my little brother immediately turned to our father and said,"now dad, if you hear anything you don't understand, just ask me and I'll be glad to explain it to you". Of course, dad was looking at him because he was speaking to him, but I admit I turned around and looked at him at this point. You must understand, I would not think my father would need instruction and the fact that my little brother was still in elementary school sort of set me back a bit. Maybe he could have had his own TV show or column in the news paper. What do you think?

#124239 - 07/31/05 12:18 AM Re: genuinely ridiculous experiences
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Here is another one, but this time from an Indian student of mine from a Hindu background. He was back home when a team from the Ministry of Health rolled into the village and arranged for a meeting of the men and mature boys of the village to talk about birth control, an important issue in desperatedly over-populated India. To illustrate how to put one on, they rolled samples over long sticks of bamboo. So as soon as the team left, each head of household went to his home and outside the door set up a bamboo pole with a condom rolled over the top end...to keep away the goddess of fertility!

A great example of cultural miscommunication!

Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#124240 - 07/31/05 09:43 AM Re: genuinely ridiculous experiences
Leosha Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Right here
I have plenty of cultural/language misunderstanding stories. But the grandmother stories made me think of my grandmother. Once when I was four or five, I had been running in the house and broke the lamp in the family living space when I knocked it off the table. Punishments were quite extreme via my father, but I thought I could pretend I hadn't done it and didn't know anything about it. So I go in my bedroom, and a little while later my grandmother comes in and asks me if I know what happened to the lamp. The best I could, I looked straight at her and said I didn't know. She gave me that look, the one that all grandmothers have and use when they know dam well you are lying to them and told me, you know, lying is a sin, and if you sin you go to Hell. And at that point I became quite confused and asked her if I go there on the bus, or if I get to ride the train.

Yes, our family was not much one for religion until after my father left (oh, and the end of that communism thing).

Leosha

"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."~~~Martin Luther King Jr., 1963

#124241 - 07/31/05 06:18 PM Re: genuinely ridiculous experiences
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Here is one for Leosha, Andrei, and Vitaliy,

I was in Moscow once as a visiting professor, and a tourist saw me with a French book under my arm and we began to talk. After a few minutes he asked me why do the Russians call all their restaurants a "pectopah". I thought to myself huh? pectopah? I don't know that Russian word? Then I looked up and across the street and there was a place calling itself PECTOPAH! \:D

(PECTOPAH in the cyrillic alphabet would be "restoran" in the Latin alphabet, = the Russian word for "restaurant")

Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#124242 - 07/31/05 10:00 PM Re: genuinely ridiculous experiences
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

It is rather amusing, the Russian history of 'restaurant'.

I am not absolutely confident concerning it, it is - spoke about here, but I know, that is many times the language which is not informed properly to or one. There is some nonsense which can take place from this.

VN

#124244 - 08/11/05 04:42 PM Re: genuinely ridiculous experiences
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Everybody acts ridiculously when I am around, I dunno why, they just do \:D

It must be that my mind is like cartoonland or something, but I always smile, mostly.

If I can think of one single silly thing, I will let you know,

ste

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.