Newest Members
jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312, Just Hanging
12342 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
5 registered (pittsburgh, 4 invisible), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12342 Members
74 Forums
63437 Topics
443449 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124008 - 06/26/05 02:13 PM an emotional metaphor
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
i have been having new awarenesses lately

of my past and my abilities -

and i think this idea - this representation

that i heard last night on the television really lights on a lot of concepts touched on

in my therapy sessions -

I was watching the PBS Great Performances
show "OPERA-TUNITY" (I loved it)

but what I want to relay is that one of the teachers/coaches was talking of the strengths

needed -

In this discussion - she talked of the nature

of the Opera character -

she said "they live on an emotional plain
that most of us do not live on - for
preservation of our sanity perhaps.."

and so a a few part revelation came to
me -

not only in the essential beauty of Opera - and how we get to live our most dramatic fantasies
at these shows -

but also it is as if we can then treat these feelings like books on shelf - see them
feel them - be blown away

yet transition out of them - not as a performance NO

but honour them and then put them away so they do not crush us -

anyway - my two cents -

peace -

mgb

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#124009 - 06/26/05 10:37 PM Re: an emotional metaphor
Don-NY Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Long Island, NY
Mark,

You're right, as usual, but it's two different ideas to me.

Opera is all about incredible emotions and passions; endless grief, devestating betrayals, great tragedies, but there is also perfect love, fearless courage.

Operatic is a good word that describes periods in my own life where everything was bigger than life, or impossible, or overwhelming. Even good things were hard to handle.

Everything was personal. War in the mid-east? Where have I (as a human) failed? My sister got sick. Did I (bad brother) cause that somehow?

It was all about me; everything.

I think this was because then I really didn't have to think about me. I didn't have time to. And all to hide and avoid dealing with what happened to me; the tragic things in my life.

That's a constant emotional state which is exhausting. You learn to numb it all out or go Mad. And you wait, and you get by.

Eventually you realize you have to let it all go as much as you can; get rid of it somehow. You realize it takes too much effort and time to live like that.

You wonder where the years went. And you get mad that they're gone. And you decide then and there that the rest of your years are YOUR OWN.

You say, OK, tragic, horrible things happened to me, but that doesn't make my life a tragedy.

It doesn't make me or my life horrible. And I wasn't an idiot for letting it control me for so long.

Then your past becomes a personal Opera that you have lived and cried over, learned something from, and then put away.

Back on the shelf. There's those books now, Mark. True stories, all of them, always in sight, always reminding us, BUT not something we care to carry around with us all the time any more.

We can can check them anytime for reminders, or warnings, but as time goes by we don't need to. We may want to, but we don't need to.

And there's this good part; We get to write new volumes evey day. New stories, good stories, happy stories, Our Stories.

Take care, Mark. Happy Birthday!

#124010 - 06/26/05 10:55 PM Re: an emotional metaphor
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
thanks Don \:\)

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.