Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
beginning (34), Gary H. (41), jewelmom (63), kdg2310 (55), Li Yuki (2014), monarchnaps (36), Neverquit (30), Nord (58), SoSad (45)
Who's Online
3 registered (Sojourn Survivor, Obi, 1 invisible), 34 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63786 Topics
445429 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#124005 - 06/25/05 03:13 PM Gallipoli
sophiesdad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
I decided to put this in Off-Topic because it is not a survivor's film. Just thought that I wanted to get the feelings out on "paper" so to speak.

I got up early this morning and watched the movie "Gallipoli" by myself. I watched it once before in the 80s when it first came out.

I'm not a big fan of war movies, but this one, for some reason, reduces me to tears every time that I watch it. I guess that it strikes me hard about the senslessness of war and how the two main characters were so young and glamorized the fact that they were joining the Light Horsemen hoping for all of the glory and pagentry. In the end, they recognize war for what it is.

The most striking scene (and I won't give out too much for those who haven't seen the movie) was the men writing to their loved ones knowing that they were going to die.

Afterwards, I went on the Internet and did a search about that particular episode in WWI. I dicovered that 250,000 allies and 300,000 Turks died on that Peninsula - and also found out that there was a new film released this past Spring in Istambul. There are supposed to be releases in the US sometime soon. THis film is a little more balanced (the other one was strictly from an Aussie perspective) because they got footage, diaries, notes, etc from BOTH sides of the fighting.

Anyway, just had to write down my reaction again to the film. If you have never seen it, you owe it to yourself to rent a copy... it's not the typical war film. I also think it was one of Mel Gibson's first acting jobs....

SD

additional editing: It also made me think of issues going on right now in Iraq and how thankful I am that I have been blessed with freedom in the US. That freedom comes with a heavy price. I am grateful to those young men and women who risk their lives every day in the armed forces to help preserve that ideal of freedom.

#124006 - 06/27/05 11:22 PM Re: Gallipoli
RockyMtJoe Offline

Loc: East of Pueblo, Colorado
Gallipoli

Your words echo many memories and emotions, not all sad.

I cannot speak for the Aussies nor "Johnny Turk" but can tell you that years ago the two sides became friends. They honor each other for the bravery and pain all were holding inside. Even today Gallipoli is not forgotten by any Aussie. I served with Australians in Vietnam and spent some time in their fine country.

Sad that the film went out of style but it is one of the better war films. A lot of emotions, love stands out. Not "gay" love but the spirit that binds soldiers to their "mates" (Aussie term).

The Turks had the German high command running the show and the Aussies had the British doing the same. Trust me Australia and Turkey never had a harsh word or reason to kill each other.

After Gallipoli the Aussies never allowed the British High Command to have such control.

Many a song was written about that period and they are still played, the Canidian John McDermott ?sp
-Irish Tenor- has the best of this with his
songs on the "Battle" CD's.

Pain, pride, honor, brotherhood all a a terrible price.

Yes, this Iraq war is killing me inside. But I understand more now.

Joe "Doc" SSG US Army (med Ret)

The Turks fought in the Korean War side-by-side
with Americans and allies (Brits), strange world.

#124007 - 06/27/05 11:29 PM Re: Gallipoli
sophiesdad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida
I found out that there is a new movie that was just released in the middle east with the same title. Evidently both sides got together to create this film. I wrote to the producer to see when it would be available in the US and he wrote back and said he wasn't sure if it would be released here (maybe not a hit in the box office). But, I'll keep searching and see if I can get a DVD and convert the PAL to NTSC.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.