Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
5 registered (Obi, watzupwitu, pufferfish, 2 invisible), 25 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63126 Topics
441432 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#123913 - 06/04/05 08:11 AM removed
sophiesdad Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Florida

#123914 - 06/04/05 02:36 PM Re: removed
Wifey1 Offline

Dear Sophiesdad,
Hi - I read your post and am one that is glad u posted here so I could respond to you. First I will pray like crazy that this new procedure gets approved for you. I have chronic pain, but not as severe as your back problems. It is for other reasons.

1) I wanted to share that I too can identify with "white coat syndrome". I used to work in the med field for just over 10 yrs. Now I cant stand even the thot of having yet another Dr Appt without having some stupid anxiety attack. Let alone even see a damn needle.

2) You raised an interesting point of having flashbacks & inability to sleep due to the pain. One thing that was shared with me by my T is that each & every time I had a procedure my "body" remembered the pain associated with the Abuse. Of course I tried Yoga & Meditation. It does / did work to some degree. BUT, I had to catch the pain level BEFORE it hit the 7 button usually.(& u know how useless that often can be) After that if I had a full blown Sciatica & or Migraine it was only meds such as the Fentynal & etc. that would "mask" the pain, or make it some what tolerable.
I did some work with my T who did help me "prepare" for the flashbacks etc AFTER the procedues as that is when they were out of control for me. My T did help me talk with my "other docs" to alert them to let them know I am a survivor. The most dangerous part he (T) said for me was the potential of having another heart attack or physically injuring myself during a Flashback / Nightmare.

I dont know if you have a partner, but perhaps talking with your partner if they are made aware of what happens with the emotional whiplash that comes from the health trauma perhaps they could work to "ground you some" during the flashback?
I think perhaps for you (this is true for me) when the pain hits I cannot always express exactly WHAT I need. We worked out a checklist, so that Hubby can go thru it until we find something that eases the pain & flashbacks. I was only thankful that I rarely remembered the exact memories of the flashback, but my body FELT the side effects of the stress it went thru.

I geuss I wanted to make sure to suggest to you that if you are seeing a Therapist along the way, your T could be a HUGE advocate while working with your Insur. Co. Of course it took signing releases after releases and I am not sure if you have shared your history with anyone, but for me because I managed to share with at least my T he was able to put my "Drs" in communication better to deal with the Insur B.S. -- Of course these are just suggestions and you know far too well how and what a nightmare it is to deal with the Insur. crap.
Also my insur. offered an "Advocate" & "personal nurse" to help navigate & push stuff thru the Insur Co. It was just too bad that it took almost 5 yrs for me to find out I even had that service available with my Insur Plan.

Quote:
So, I'm sitting in limbo for now - not knowing if I'll get approved for the ONLY thing that will fix what's wrong with my back or if I'm in for several more years of debilitating pain 24/7.
That statement alone is so totally identical to the "Abuser" having power over the body again, and again. Just a different entity making a LIFE or DEATH situation.

One last thing, I have been considered in the past for the IDET. My ? to you, is did it help? Even for a short while? I got so sick of taking the many forms of morphine & other drugs & then being physically addicted to them I did a stupid thing and quit cold turkey (made the decision under the influence) - Mostly I am off the pain meds now, but would dearly love to have another steroid shot, but nay I am no longer able to have them. I dream about the time it worked ONCE for me and I felt 16 again. Like dreaming of walking again with out pain or half a leg. It is a joyful memory I travel to when in pain & depressed.
(sorry this is so long winded) The one thing I did tell myself & occassionally tell myself "well finally people can PHYSICALLY see what those bastards did to me" - small compensation but sometimes it does get me thru.

I know you have accepted this as your life, that it has "just become this". I send to you best wishes for less pain, better days and healing.
Thank you for the posting, so many others also experience such severe physical pain.
May Peace Fill Us All, Sammy

#123915 - 06/04/05 04:24 PM Re: removed
healing_inside Offline
MaleSurvivor

Sophiesdad,

U are amazing to me. All of the stuff u are going through and u could still work and have a smile on your face and a positive outlook foryourself and otheres here.

U are cool

- Yah, u know my name \:\)

*** WoR Retreat Alumni - Alta 2005 ***

#123916 - 06/04/05 06:17 PM Re: removed
Charlie Offline
MaleSurvivor

I agree with everything healing_inside said in his post. You're an inspiration to other guys here and I look up to you. You always give really good advice and I wish there was something I could do to help you now. I hate hospitals, I've had surgery 5 times 'cause of what happened to me but it's nothing compared to what you're going through every day. I hope things will get better for you. I'm not gonna tell you to be strong 'cause sometimes it's impossible to be strong and brave but I'm gonna tell you to be real good to yourself and let others, like your family and friends, care for you. Let them spoil you. You're a cool guy.

#123918 - 06/06/05 03:17 PM Re: removed
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Hey SD,

Just hadta reply to your post (my back actualy been makin sleep hard for me the last week now - but it's nothing serious like yours - just need to see my chiro and can't afford it) - living in pain sucks bigtime!!! - I am sorry for all you've had to go through w/ the docs and ins. - I agree with sammy totaly that it can seem almost as if we are being revictimized again by the docs and ins companies

I am in nowheres near the pain that you are in (I got a rare genetic form of Muscular Dystrophy and sometimes my muscles burn just like my whole body is on fire) - I've learned to live with the pain as it comes and goes (I use my old physical abuse coping skills to block a lot of it out) - doc's don't even want to perscribe nothing for me cause I'm still 'young' yet and they don't want me addicted to anything

I'll be praying for you that the ins. approves the proceedure for you - and that if they don't that you are able to find a good attourney who will win you approval - I understand the burden of carrying the pain and trying not to complain too much aboiut it - but you should'nt have to live in pain if there is something that can be done help relieve it

Wishing you the best,

TJ jeff

P.S - White Coat Syndrome... - now I kno what to call it... - cause my BP sometimes soars to over 190/130 and yet onc eI'm knocke dout it'll drop right down to around 80/60

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#123919 - 06/16/05 07:12 AM Re: removed
VN Offline
MaleSurvivor

I allow to you big it is a pity, that you have such pain always. I do not know, how it - medicine (medicine) and work of things of insurance here in America, but some, I hope, that you are capable to make processing (treatment) which will force a pain to be better if it is not left. I had illness which hurt as I am to nurseries. Always there is some pain. Sometimes there is a big pain. I would be very grateful, if that - нибудь can clean(remove) it. I can understand the some people as it feels, to not want to live more as it. I wish you good well-being.

V

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.