Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 19 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63229 Topics
442156 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#123902 - 06/02/05 12:51 PM roots music freaks
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Hi guys,

I have noticed that some of the people here are guitar players and/or keen on the blues, folk, rock music, country and so forth. Playing guitar is something I have done for more than 40 years, and I find it as fascinating and fun now as I did when I was a teenager trying to copy Bob Seeger, Bob Dylan, Son House, Mississippi John Hurt, and all those guys.

Maybe it would be useful to use an off topic thread to talk about our interests. Who else is totally mad for roots music of whatever kind? For me the blues helps me to focus on who I am, where I am in my life, and the pains and joys of our shared humanity.

Hmmm. Why didn't I just say its great music? Never mind.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#123903 - 06/02/05 04:23 PM Re: roots music freaks
Bobby Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona
Larry,

Bluegrass here. Love the stuff. Also like the soulful mountain folk music. Oh, and early country, like the music in "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou?". Like all music really, but those types are the ones that go back to my roots. Bobby

#123904 - 06/02/05 06:32 PM Re: roots music freaks
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Hi Bobby,

Yes indeed. Bluegrass is great stuff. My Dad is a banjo picker, and as a kid I just loved Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs. Now I have become entirely engrossed with the blues, perhaps because my free time is limited and I can't play as much as I would like.

Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#123905 - 06/02/05 08:48 PM Re: roots music freaks
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
My roots are in Ireland and I love Irish music, like the Chieftains, Dubliners etc.
The Irish can make music from almost anything they can find.
They also invented the greatest medicine known to man, laughter, \:D not forgetting Guiness \:\)

ste

#123907 - 06/06/05 03:38 PM Re: roots music freaks
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Hi Kevin,

I have several Dobros from the 1930s: a 1931 Dobro and a 1937 Regal-build Dobro. I also have a 1968 Gibson acoustic, which I bought when I was a teenager.

That's great you have a teacher. Mine was Son House, or so I am told. He used to visit my great-uncle in the 50s and I would sit and listen to them play. He hadn't been redicsovered yet, and for me he was just this cool elderly guy who played the most amazing blues guitar I had ever heard.

Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.